Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Free online course in climate for non-scientists

Fergus Brown

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extended Mediterranean heatwaves

Some will already be aware of this, but I think it merits a separate thread.

The University of Chicago is running an 8 week MOOC (Massive Online Open Course) for non-scientists about climate change.

The direct link to the course is here:  https://www.coursera.org/course/globalwarming

This is a fabulous opportunity for absolutely anyone who has an interest in the subject, or doubts about the science, to learn the basics and understand how it all works.

It is FREE. You don't have to buy anything. You can drop out if you want. You don't need any qualifications (though they suggest basic maths). It's a few hours effort a week.

If, like me, you are a non-scientist who has personal opinions and ideas about AGW, or whatever, there is absolutely no reason for you not to sign up and learn.

If you complete the course you get a certificate of achievement and a new-found confidence in all your discussions about the pros and cons of this important subject.

I've already signed up. :)

Who else?

• Like 2

Posted

Looks interesting....start date 21 October

Also worth looking at this MOOC--Climate Change:challenges and solutions, starting on 13 Jan ---with the University of Exeter which I'd already signed up for. https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/climate-change-challenges-and-solutions

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

high-school-level algebra

,,,I`ll get mi coat,,,

then again "feint heart never won fair lady" so I`ll give it a bash as its interesting and beats wasting surf-time by never learning anything?

kudos Fergus Posted Image

Edited by mezzacyclone
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Sounds great, not a hope of finding the time to do it though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extended Mediterranean heatwaves

Sounds great, not a hope of finding the time to do it though.

J, I'm genuinely disappointed, though not surprised - there's never enough time. OTOH, even a first glance at the first bit might help - since there is no obligation or cost involved, why not sign up anyway and decide later whether you have the time or desire to actually do it...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

J, I'm genuinely disappointed, though not surprised - there's never enough time. OTOH, even a first glance at the first bit might help - since there is no obligation or cost involved, why not sign up anyway and decide later whether you have the time or desire to actually do it...

Ok, I'll sign up but genuinely, it's difficult finding time to even sleep at the mo. It's the scourge of the self-employed, you have to take work where and when you can get it, often it means being stupidly over stretched. After the last couple of winters with late, cold  springs too, I have to get a sizeable cushion in the bank just in case it happens again and I end up with weeks and weeks of little or no work. Add in trying to finish renovating a house, get planning consent on some of the land in order to get it sold in the spring, checking out options to move to in North Yorkshire, up and down the motorway between Falmouth and Swaledale; it's all a bit headless chicken mode.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

So did many start the course? I've seen a two familiar names of the discussion forum at least!