Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2013/2014

Posted

First we hear that there is no connection between mid-strat and troposphere, and now we hear that the tropospheric patterns can't be a precursor to SSWs. I wonder what's next. Posted Image  Though that "not" might be put there by mistake. Posted Image Or maybe I am not interpreting this statement the right way in the first place, in which case please do not hesitate to correct me.  

misunderstanding recretos. both statements are clearly false. the points being made were pertinent to that gfs op run only.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Warming continued on 18z, differences in terms of locale but the another run potentially showing the start of a significant warming, would like to see more consistency over the next 24 hours to be sure and also looks like a displacement type to me?  correct me if im wrong.

Posted

Warming continued on 18z, differences in terms of locale but the another run potentially showing the start of a significant warming, would like to see more consistency over the next 24 hours to be sure and also looks like a displacement type to me?  correct me if im wrong.

Yeah with wave-1 the vortex will just be displaced from the pole. It would be nice to see something similar to last year where wave-2 shortly followed the wave-1-lead displacement to give us a split vortex, but I don't think any short-midterm set ups support any tropospheric-lead wave-2 breaking, as far as I know.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

GFS 18z maintaining the warming @10hPa:

Posted Image

Filtering slowing down @30hPa;

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Because this possible warming is troposphere driven (right?), runs will vary significantly. Yes, the 06z run is almost completed now. In this run warming is delayed, but the cold vortex core remains stretched. The last charts show a warming again. (Positioning and shape similar to yesterdays 18z, but warming is less pronounced.) Far too much inconsistency from run to run to draw any conclusions yet.

Any news from the GEFS?

Edited by Ruben Amsterdam

GEFS 06z continues the trend, now reaching max. -14 deg. with ensemble mean at 384h.

Posted Image Posted Image

And the control ramps it up to +11. Note that this is the bias corrected control run. I couldn't plot the bias-corrected ensemble mean above, because it is not available yet and I am late for work. Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Regards.

So the warming is still showing ?!

Posted

Ben,

The warming is in the upper Stratosphere. If it does actually occur by the end of the month then the downwelling can take anything from a couple of days to a few weeks. So a date of around 10th February is my guess before colder weather arrives.

That is of course if the warming verifies.

• Like 1

Ben,

The warming is in the upper Stratosphere. If it does actually occur by the end of the month then the downwelling can take anything from a couple of days to a few weeks. So a date of around 10th February is my guess before colder weather arrives.

Thanks for the clarification! When will we be able to know for sure ? thanks. im not trying to annoy you i swear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

I know we've had warming events, but is this the first event this winter that can be classified as a genuine SSW?  If so, how does this forecast compare with last year's major SSW in terms of strength?  (Yes I know the predicted impact of warming isn't an exact science however at the tropospheric level yet)

Posted

Thanks for the clarification! When will we be able to know for sure ? thanks. im not trying to annoy you i swear.

If I knew the answer to that, i'd be a millionaire. :-0

Hopefully the warming signals increase and continue and we may start to see the tropospheric model output beginning to react in about a week to ten days time at the outer range of its output.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Ben,

Doesn't that all depend on where the vortex decides to split? We may end up on the mild side.

• Like 1

Posted

Doesn't that all depend on where the vortex decides to split? We may end up on the mild side.

TBH though, I think if we got a split SSW which fully downwelled, I would expect to get more than one bite of the cherry and at this time of year I would suggest we would have to be mighty unlucky at least not to have at least a cold snap during Feb.

Posted

fellas - patience. we are not forecast a ssw as yet. i doubt anyone will want to call that until we see it showing below T300 consistently. the specific definition to call a ssw are quite limited. also. we may get a favourable downwelling of revered zonality without a ssw actually being called. on top of this, i currently see a dispacement looking more likely than a split (unless we get more wave 2 following this uptick in wave 1).

• Like 3

Posted

fellas - patience. we are not forecast a ssw as yet. i doubt anyone will want to call that until we see it showing below T300 consistently. the specific definition to call a ssw are quite limited. also. we may get a favourable downwelling of revered zonality without a ssw actually being called. on top of this, i currently see a dispacement looking more likely than a split (unless we get more wave 2 following this uptick in wave 1).

I agree with everything said apart from the fact that isn't an SSW definition a reversal of zonal winds at 60N and 10mb, yes I agree we are nowhere near forecast any type of SSW yet let alone a split one.

Posted

I may be wrong ( would not be the 1st time) but it looks to me on the 1mb temperature

charts in the last few runs as if the warming is slowly moving back west, entering the

Arctic more from our locale rather than from mid-Russia northward.

If this is the case then this would be much more benificial for us in that we would see a

much quicker response I would imagine.

post-10506-0-90160100-1389637615_thumb.g

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Relax guys, was just a question...I understand a strong warming was being forecast and simply wondered what the parameters for an SSW were in relation to this warming. :)

Edited by weatherguy
  • Like 2

Posted

All the hallmarks of a displacement SSW here? at the 1mb level.

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-strat.php?run=2014011318&var=HGT&lev=1mb&hour=384

Only problem though is the actual temperatures at 10mb seem to have peaked and look to be subsiding, during the SSW last year, the bright reds were just getting brighter every run, just an observation although maybe just T300+ run variability, also agree it would be preferable to see this wave 1 activity followed up by some wave 2 activity.

Posted Image