Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2013/2014

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

temps finally starting to pick up from 65N-90N

post-18233-0-96662200-1388413823_thumb.gpost-18233-0-37932000-1388413824_thumb.gpost-18233-0-29903100-1388413825_thumb.gpost-18233-0-64060700-1388413825_thumb.gpost-18233-0-68335600-1388413836_thumb.gpost-18233-0-04134100-1388413837_thumb.gpost-18233-0-36896600-1388413837_thumb.g

• Like 1

Posted

Impressive warming on the 12z GFS especially towards the end of the run! Definitely the best run so far at the 30hpa level!

The vortex is weakening and is getting ready to give up as the warming attacks from both the Asian and the Atlantic side!

Karyo

Posted

Posted Image

Wow. Highest temps modelled yet for the strat - lets see how this develops, cos if it continues in this way then the chances of propogation down to our level at the atmosphere will surely start to increase.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Impressive warming on the 12z GFS especially towards the end of the run! Definitely the best run so far at the 30hpa level!

The vortex is weakening and is getting ready to give up as the warming attacks from both the Asian and the Atlantic side!

Karyo

And with a weakening +QBO there really could be fireworks as we progress through Jan. It's what I've been seeing but expected a foothold in the blocking much earlier! Kudos to Chiono though on timing IF we see this manifest itself.

I stand by what I've said all along, there is the potential (sig potential) for a very severe spell of winter weather during January.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

If the stratospheric warming continues to get upgraded like that, then we could be in for a potent cold spell later this month.Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

on the 12z gfs, the strat vortex doesnt actually split (there are occasions when splits occur at different levels but never quite separate as per the 06z run).  what is evident is that as this very strong upper vortex slowly wanes, it continues to pass its core back and forth from siberia to canada. we know from experience that this causes upticks in the atlantic jet when we see it at trop level.  given the way this monster weakens over little more than a ten day period, i guess there is a lot of energy to disperse. i suspect this forecast warming pattern has happened in the past but we've not seen its like since the strat began to attract our attention back in 2009/2010.  is there a link to all the previous ssw's to see their evolution and compare or are we restricted to recent times in this regard ?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

on the 12z gfs, the strat vortex doesnt actually split (there are occasions when splits occur at different levels but never quite separate as per the 06z run).  what is evident is that as this very strong upper vortex slowly wanes, it continues to pass its core back and forth from siberia to canada. we know from experience that this causes upticks in the atlantic jet when we see it at trop level.  given the way this monster weakens over little more than a ten day period, i guess there is a lot of energy to disperse. i suspect this forecast warming pattern has happened in the past but we've not seen its like since the strat began to attract our attention back in 2009/2010.  is there a link to all the previous ssw's to see their evolution and compare or are we restricted to recent times in this regard ?

Yes - it doesn't actually split on the 12Z run - but the amount of warming seen at 10hPa at T+384 suggests to me that the upper split would probably propagate towards the trop. I think it is fair to say that we will see strong wave 2 activity that isgoing to weaken the vortex considerably with a full SSW split right up there in the possibilities.

Edited by chionomaniac
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Sorry about this... Q as i'm no expert in this, But this warming of the stratosphere http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=384&mode=10&carte=1

It's that deep in FI what makes you think it won't change, Don't get me wrong i love it, But if this was a stonking Surface pressure chart Deep in FI...

Emmm, Well all i can say is even though we get excited We all know it changes, So what the difference or is this set in stone Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

I seem to remember previous warmings have tended to happen over Asia and wrapped into the vortex from the other side of the globe. This "potential" warming looks to be centred right over Greenland and a lot closer to the UK than any we have seen in the past few years. Is this significant? I wonder if the position of this warming could be beneficial for our patch, rather than having the warming else where in the NH. Or is this irrelevant - as the goal of the warming is to destroy the strat Vortex - so no matter where the warming takes place it would do the job anyway?

Strat novice question there, hope it makes sense lol.  

Edited by chris55
  • Like 1

Posted

I seem to remember previous warmings have tended to happen over Asia and wrapped into the vortex from the other side of the globe. This "potential" warming looks to be centred right over Greenland and a lot closer to the UK than any we have seen in the past few years. Is this significant? I wonder if the position of this warming could be beneficial for our patch, rather than having the warming else where in the NH. Or is this irrelevant - as the goal of the warming is to destroy the strat Vortex - so no matter where the warming takes place it would do the job anyway?

This paper looks at what happens to the vortex during an SSW, go to the bottom of page 8 for what happens during a vortex-split (what we could be seeing in a few weeks):

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/2008JCLI2365.1

The common theme with splits seems to be that the vortex usually splits to similar locations - a large segment over Siberia and a smaller one over Hudson Bay - Canada. I'm sure this was the case in last winter's split too, and this was despite the fact that the 2 warmings happened over Siberia and then Northeast Canada. So it doesn't look like the location of a warming influences where a lobe of the vortex will go to.

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 1

Posted

Sorry about this... Q as i'm no expert in this, But this warming of the stratosphere http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=384&mode=10&carte=1

It's that deep in FI what makes you think it won't change, Don't get me wrong i love it, But if this was a stonking Surface pressure chart Deep in FI...

Emmm, Well all i can say is even though we get excited We all know it changes, So what the difference or is this set in stone Posted Image

It will change and has run to run - but with these FI strat charts following the wave 2 activity there is a bit more of reliability at this level of the strat that is normally very stable. At this point we can surmise that there is going to be some type of warming brought about by wave activity breaking from the trop. What we cannot tell at this point is how severe this will be and whether it will be strong enough to create a technical SSW. For that we would need the output to be closer to the event.

• Like 3

Posted

I don't think we can answer that just yet. In my experience the wave breaking events do initiate downwind of the mountain ranges - but there will always be some variance at how these waves displace the vortex and where exactly the split will occur - no two events are perfectly similar if you look at the Martineau previous SSW animations posted by Lorenzo earlier.

Edited by chionomaniac
  • Like 3

Posted

hi to all

Japan Meteorological Agency ( JMA )

animation maps <=> northern hemisphere

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/acmi.html

===

northern hemisphere

stratosphere

Posted Image

Edited by aginob
  • Like 1

Posted

northern hemisphere

stratosphere

temperature

loop

Posted Image

===

potential temperature Anomaly at 700 m

northern hemisphere

stratosphere

loop ( slowly )

Posted Image

Edited by aginob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The return of the 10mb split on the GFS 18z.

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-strat.php?run=2013123018&var=HGT&lev=10mb&hour=384

Thanks to this enhanced warming.

Posted Image

Question is, how far can it propagate?  to 30mb on the 18z.

Posted Image

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 3

Posted

Best split so far - the trend grows....

1hPa

post-4523-0-29186300-1388443685_thumb.gi

10 hpa

post-4523-0-61043800-1388443704_thumb.gi

post-4523-0-67263500-1388443712_thumb.gi

• Like 8

Posted

Posted Image

The strat is just about the only thing to hold onto in an otherwise drab output at the moment. But a very impressive split. Whilst not technically a SSW, the warming looks like doing some serious business up above us - on the current output at least. Here's hoping it delivers. 

Posted

Posted Image

The strat is just about the only thing to hold onto in an otherwise drab output at the moment. But a very impressive split. Whilst not technically a SSW, the warming looks like doing some serious business up above us - on the current output at least. Here's hoping it delivers. 

To be fair I'm sure we'd see the SSW if the GFS went up to T400+

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Fantastic work Recretos glad you got your Internet fixed, the GFS side animation reminds me of this from NASA.

http://gmao.gsfc.nasa.gov/researchhighlights/SSW/fig_8_epv_01142013_obs_fcst.png

http://gmao.gsfc.nasa.gov/researchhighlights/SSW/

Impressive charts this evening on Instantweather.