Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2013/2014

Posted

This is what we have been waiting to see -

Posted Imageecmwf30f240.gif

Guess when we have seen this before?

ncep wasn't too far away on yesterday's run though the ridge to our north rather than to our northwest. And the daughter vortice not quite split off (could be different today). Tropospherically, ncep seems further east than ECM with the overall pattern so that makes sense.

re ecm's ens improvement, an extra 25 odd layers in the strat from Tuesday should be enlightening. Of course, Exeter will have had sight of the upgraded model for months and are likely using it rather than the output we see.

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted

thank you so much for this piece of good news chino cos over in the model thread things are just so depressing at the moment.hopefully this should have an impact and a good one at that on the nwp models by showing some frigid charts.This is what we have been waiting to see -ecmwf30f240.gifGuess when we have seen this before?

Posted

Hi Matt we have seen splits like this prior to the early winter cold spells in both 2009 and 2010.

For the local trop induced wave split upwards into the lower strat is very favourable for producing significant cold in our neck of the woods.

Here is 2009 strat link  http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/57364-stratosphere-temperature-watch/?p=1625056

And 2010 (but with charts missing) http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/64621-stratosphere-temperature-watch/?p=1952060

We could see some interesting trop output. What a time for the ECM to upgrade its model especially wrt to strat input.

Ta. Must admit not sure where these years go to as I remember the 2010 thread quite well, but as usual I've slept since then!

Had a quick look back and as you say there certainly seems to be some similarities. As usual it'll be about the model consistencies now regarding this initial signal and whether it continues to progress nearer to present day etc. As you say the increase in model resolution from the ECMWF is timely and it'll be interesting to see, with time, whether it does create a more accurate set of data in terms of model ouput for the strat as on the Berlin site.

It'll certainly be interesting to see how things progress from here, as to me a lot of the up coming synoptics, in terms of a more blocked/meridional pattern, seem to have come from nowhere, with a distinctly active and zonal jet stream evident quite recently. Also just need to look at recent NAO and AO values  to see both off the scale in terms of a +ve phase. A lot of the background signals were certainly pointing towards an unsettled regime, the scenario this coming week has proven me wrong with some of my initial thoughts a week or two back.

Cheers, Matt.

• Like 7

Posted

on the subject of the ens upgrade, i assume all the data on berlin is derived from the op run. we have been shown the odd ens strat chart in the past by sebastian but any improvement in the strat profiling from the upgraded ens will likely remain locked away from our eyes ?  matt, will you have sight of the ens strat output ? 

ncep wasn't too far away on yesterday's run though the ridge to our north rather than to our northwest. And the daughter vortice not quite split off (could be different today). Tropospherically, ncep seems further east than ECM with the overall pattern so that makes sense.re ecm's ens improvement, an extra 25 odd layers in the strat from Tuesday should be enlightening. Of course, Exeter will have had sight of the upgraded model for months and are likely using it rather than the output we see.

Both models are yesterday's, GFS 00 and ECM 12 and it appears largely to be a response to tropospheric cross-polar ridging but this doesn't appear in the same way in today's GFS 00 but is there in the ECM.

• Like 1

Posted

Both models are yesterday's, GFS 00 and ECM 12 and it appears largely to be a response to tropospheric cross-polar ridging but this doesn't appear in the same way in today's GFS 00 but is there in the ECM.

T216 on today's gfs 00z strat 30hpa does almost split the stretched vortex as per ecm but the pattern is flatter in that area and mobile with the ridge moving positively and we end up with the core of the vortex near baffin rather than siberia with the shallow upper ridge having travelled around to n russia.  

• Like 1

Posted

on the subject of the ens upgrade, i assume all the data on berlin is derived from the op run. we have been shown the odd ens strat chart in the past by sebastian but any improvement in the strat profiling from the upgraded ens will likely remain locked away from our eyes ?  matt, will you have sight of the ens strat output ? 

I'm afraid not. I've got full access to all the EC ENS outputs, but none of the graphics contain stratospheric charts or information on the EC site. I would presume that those charts, as someone highlighted, will be locked away for viewing behind closed doors down at Exeter.

Matt.

Posted

A definate increase in wave 2...

post-5114-0-66290300-1384684673_thumb.gi

It would be nice to see it hit around the 700+ mark, this would help split the vortex as opposed to possibly only 'disrupting' it. That said, anything that administers pressure on a growing vortex can only be a good thing.

And one thing I have noticed with wave forecasts is more often they seem to be under estimated as opposed to over

• Like 5

Posted

Recretos, from Tuesday the ECM ens are at 91 levels up to 0.01 hpa. I think it's been running in parallel since june

Yes, I missed this one, because it was not implemented yet. Posted Image 14 levels above 5mb is a good upgrade. The testing was since June, but looking at the score card, it is actually worse than the current cycle in the lower strat. Too bad they don't have the mid and upper strat. test scores. I guess that I better remove my critique from the post above. :D

Edited by Recretos
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Is that also early signs of a warming up North?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

GFS 12z 240 shows it starting to elongate.

Posted Image

And although a sort of re-phasing occurs, the temps towards the end are looking interesting, by the way, when did we see this before?

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

GFS 12z 240 shows it starting to elongate.

Posted Image

And although a sort of re-phasing occurs, the temps towards the end are looking interesting, by the way, when did we see this before?

Posted Image

2009/2010
  • Like 1

Posted

looking through the strat forecast from yesterdays 12z run, i note that zonal winds go from 30m/s at 30hpa down to 20m/s by day 10. the 30 m/s speed retreating up to 10 hpa. both at 60/70 N.  this is a marked change from the previous day.

i am also surprised to see the main wave activity (1 and 2) downwelling from the top of the strat. i thought the recent activity was all trop led and upwelling.  the major point here being that the ecm ens we see has 5hpa as its ceiling. it wont see the waves coming down from above. that will of course change come tuesday evenings run.  mind you, exeter are probably using the new output now and i didnt see anything in their updates to day that reflected anything happening over the next month - infact, they were headed into the 'back to average' camp.

Posted

looking through the strat forecast from yesterdays 12z run, i note that zonal winds go from 30m/s at 30hpa down to 20m/s by day 10. the 30 m/s speed retreating up to 10 hpa. both at 60/70 N. this is a marked change from the previous day.i am also surprised to see the main wave activity (1 and 2) downwelling from the top of the strat. i thought the recent activity was all trop led and upwelling. the major point here being that the ecm ens we see has 5hpa as its ceiling. it wont see the waves coming down from above. that will of course change come tuesday evenings run. mind you, exeter are probably using the new output now and i didnt see anything in their updates to day that reflected anything happening over the next month - infact, they were headed into the 'back to average' camp.

On the flip side of that though they were late in calling the upcoming cold spell, so maybe they are playing it safe for now. Edited by Sceptical Inquirer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

looking through the strat forecast from yesterdays 12z run, i note that zonal winds go from 30m/s at 30hpa down to 20m/s by day 10. the 30 m/s speed retreating up to 10 hpa. both at 60/70 N.  this is a marked change from the previous day.

i am also surprised to see the main wave activity (1 and 2) downwelling from the top of the strat. i thought the recent activity was all trop led and upwelling.  the major point here being that the ecm ens we see has 5hpa as its ceiling. it wont see the waves coming down from above. that will of course change come tuesday evenings run.  mind you, exeter are probably using the new output now and i didnt see anything in their updates to day that reflected anything happening over the next month - infact, they were headed into the 'back to average' camp.

If a wave pushes up from the trop, Nick, where is it most likely to be felt? Rather like the energy from an undersea earthquake being felt when and where the tsunami hits land - not just at its epicentre.

Edited by chionomaniac
  • Like 1

Posted

If a wave pushes up from the trop, Nick, where is it most likely to be felt? Rather like the energy from an undersea earthquake being felt when and where the tsunami hits land - not just at its epicentre.

i understand this ed but i dont see it upwelling through the strat at all. the energy appears at the very top and then works down. if i saw it headed up gently and then appearing  with more gusto higher up then i would understand better. 

Posted

Still looking good given yesterday's 12Z ECM:

Evidence of a split there from 192hrs now;

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/figs/ecmwf1/ecmwf30f192.gif

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/figs/ecmwf1/ecmwf30f216.gif

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/figs/ecmwf1/ecmwf30f240.gif

Split evident even all the way up to 10hPa as well, which seems quite noteworthy;

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/figs/ecmwf1/ecmwf10f240.gif

Wave 2 conditions continue to increase;

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/figs/ecmwf1/ecmwfzm_ha2_f240.gif

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/figs/ecmwf1/ecmwfzm_ta2_f192.gif

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/figs/ecmwf1/ecmwfzm_ta2_f216.gif

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/figs/ecmwf1/ecmwfzm_ta2_f240.gif

Need the consistency, but obviously just like any model, it is just that a forecast model, so whether nearer to the time these signs and signal will wane, who knows. But clearly we are getting some consistency now from the ECM model. Obvious question is; if these signs come to fruition will they actually have an impact, as per 2009/2010 or anything remotely like those years in terms of synoptics(?)

Regards, Matt.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

http://www.geo.fu-berlin.de/en/met/ag/strat/produkte/winterdiagnostics/index.html

Very good link for data right down to 1hPa , clearly see the wave 2 activity. Along with a split vortex right down past 10hPa .

Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Wave 2 definitely the place to watch just now..

post-7292-0-93873400-1384763472_thumb.gi

Something looks like happening on the 10hPa run, only one way for that pulse to go surely.

Posted Image

CFS still all over that Aleutian high with strong anomalies out into weeks 3 and 4, perhaps continuing to pressure what will be a split vortex with further displacement.

post-7292-0-58576100-1384762242_thumb.gi

The vorticity chart out at 216 displays the separated vortex and also some fragments left in a 'traffic jam' over Greenland.

post-7292-0-38885000-1384762572_thumb.gi

Intriguing to see Weds. morning strat plots, wonder if any marked difference with the upgrades going live.

GFS today and out to 192.

post-7292-0-52548900-1384763196_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-12447100-1384763202_thumb.pn

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

CFS still all over that Aleutian high with strong anomalies out into weeks 3 and 4,

Posted Imagegfs_t30mb_globe_1.pngPosted Imagegfs_t30mb_globe_65.png

Heights over the aleutians have been the feature of the season so far for me. Constantly rebuilding and then ridging into the arctic, helping maintain the meridional flow and clearly also putting pressure on the strat.

I'm still very hazy on a "November Warming" definition. How big a hit would this wave 2 activity need to make, and how much of the vortex would need to shift to siberia, in order for it to reach that classification?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Lookng at the definition here http://www.atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca/SPARC/News15/15_Labitzke.html , For me this doesn't help take it from vague to easy to identify, will attempt an analysis, but could do with some expert input here. 

Looking at the re-analysis for November to date at 50mb and comparing to the analog years for recorded CW's you are looking at two completely different plots for the half way point of the month, surely would need to be a massive change to offset the profile for November so far this year.

November 1st -15th.

post-7292-0-47144700-1384769610_thumb.gipost-7292-0-51246500-1384769611_thumb.gipost-7292-0-54890300-1384769612_thumb.gi

Analogs

post-7292-0-43142200-1384769636_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-98522600-1384769636_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-50019900-1384769637_thumb.pn

Also, from the Labitzke page there is this, indicating a change in atmospheric 'mode', are we in a new period where the poleward translation of the Aleutian high for whatever reason is in itself an anomaly now?

• [*]At the same time, the Canadian Warmings which in November/December took place in 18 of the 31 years until 1981/82, are missing during the last 18 winters, except for 2 cases.

Am happy to look at things and say, yep that's a Minor Warming event, rather than get further confused !

• [*]The Canadian warmings can
reverse the meridional temperature gradient and sometimes briefly change the zonal wind direction over the polar cap, but nevertheless they do not lead to a breakdown of the cyclonic polar vortex.

• Like 6