Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2013/2014

Posted

ed - did you remove a post from yesterday? did i dream that you commented on the way the atlantic ridge is propogatng well up into the upper strat ?  still there this morning.

I think it might have been on the Model Thread BA :)

Posted

I think it might have been on the Model Thread BA :)

Jeez, I'd better check through my emails. Nwp like we have at the moment plays havoc with my business!!and the exchange of posts was clearly in the wrong thread!
  • Like 1

Can someone help me grow my knowledge a bit? The 120h chart of zonal wind forecast shows a strange looking reversal up towards the pole at trop level. It's nearly in reverse now - lasts about a week peaking at 120h and then returns to westerly flow again by 168/192.How does this sort of thing come about? I can grasp that warmth higher up causes a slow down and that this can become a reversal and downwell through the atmosphere, but how does a trop reversal like this come about in the trop first? Is it just the product of a pressure rise? And is it possible for a reversal at trop level to upwell regardless of a warming? Or is it linked hand in hand with warming via wave 1 activity? Apologies if that is a jumbled set of sentences - I'm really still trying to learn about the reality of the vertical significance of the atmosphere as a whole!

Posted Image

Without looking for an exact cause, it is a normal tendency towards tropospheric easterly winds in the Arctic, westerlies in the mid-latitudes, and the easterly trade winds in the sub-tropics when averaged over the globe as that wind plot does. It looks fairly normal compared to a composite for November -

post-2779-0-52865400-1384507555_thumb.pn

Bear in mind that this chart doesn't have a logarithmic scale so is more or less like the bottom third of the Berlin plot. The large area of westerly winds in the centre is the sub-tropical jet which is near the bottom of the Berlin plot, and the prominent stratospheric vortex can hardly be seen at all right at the very top.

One interesting thing about the plot you've posted is it highlights the QBO over the tropics - centred on 30mb at the moment is the current +ve phase, and above this up at 5mb is the next -ve phase descending.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Without looking for an exact cause, it is a normal tendency towards tropospheric easterly winds in the Arctic, westerlies in the mid-latitudes, and the easterly trade winds in the sub-tropics when averaged over the globe as that wind plot does. It looks fairly normal compared to a composite for November -

Posted ImageNovember zonal wind.png

Bear in mind that this chart doesn't have a logarithmic scale so is more or less like the bottom third of the Berlin plot. The large area of westerly winds in the centre is the sub-tropical jet which is near the bottom of the Berlin plot, and the prominent stratospheric vortex can hardly be seen at all right at the very top.

One interesting thing about the plot you've posted is it highlights the QBO over the tropics - centred on 30mb at the moment is the current +ve phase, and above this up at 5mb is the next -ve phase descending.

Thank you - that is helpful. At my current stage of knowledge I did not realise that easterly winds in the arctic were the norm. So much to learn...!

Posted

Interesting due to the repeat of the trend in the atmosphere which continues for earlier Autumn to deliver troughing deep into the heart of the continent, this energy also diluting the vortex somewhat and leading to clear elongation by day 10. Diagram gives example of the heights of the PV surfaces.

Yes - this is exactly the source of my own excitement at the moment that keeps pulling me back to the internet when I should be working.

We have a stable vortex but a lot of meridional activity in the trop with ridges in the north pacific and soon to come the north atlantic penetrating the arctic with comparative ease. Energy seems to be firing southwards all around the globe with our own burst coming next week and north america also being subjected to troughing.

My observation of the dreadful winters of the recent past [oh come on... I write "m0dern era" and it is changed to "christmas pudding?" - someone is having a laugh with that filter!) was that such things just did not happen. The vortex was strong and the pattern stayed flat for what felt like an eternity with only brief toppling highs in the atlantic to break the tedium. 

Why are we having such a different pattern now? Again - no stats to back this up - but the start to this winter has a more dynamic feel to it than even the last half dozen winters and in a +QBO and stable vortex context that would lead me, in my infantile state of knowledge, to think that the winter should be flat as before. Is this perhaps due to less sea ice at the pole? (latest plots show that we have lost ground and that sea ice coverage is pretty unremarkable after the fast start...) or is it Solar... or is there something in the ocean SSTs? There is a seasonal forecast chart - cant find it now - over at the CPS where human input has created a forecast of a great deal of blocking over the high lats of the NM this winter based purely on the SST pattern. Unfortunately for me I have no idea how such conclusions are reached.

Bringing it back to the Strat Thread... it is fascinating at the moment to witness what appears to be a disconnect between the strat and the trop. More knowledgeable posters willl probably shoot me down for that and explain why my basic interpretation is wrong - but nevertheless it is making very interesting watching and researching. 

Edited by Catacol_Highlander

Posted

As Lorenzo has pointed out, there is some wave2 appearing on the EC forecast. The anomalies suggest that, and I also plotted the flux vectors through the Atlantic wave from the GFS for that time, and there is some pressure being applied on the vortex. The left axis is the height in meters.

Posted Image Posted Image

The CFS forecast is somewhat in line with the latest GFS runs, but it is kinda slower. It has the similar look on the 10/12 period, which latest GFS runs are promoting for 01/12. Just throwing it here for future verification.

Posted Image Posted Image

Best regards.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Yes some good posts today and the latest Strat.charts underlining the vortex under some stress.

Plenty of wave 2 activity showing on the day 10 chart fron ECM and the GFS day 10 pressure chart at the lowest level(100hPa) alongside, highlighting that Atlantic block near the UK.

post-2026-0-68158000-1384517910_thumb.gipost-2026-0-68453500-1384517925_thumb.gi

Certainly evidence now of the effect on the mean zonal wind speeds higher up

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/eczm.php?alert=1&forecast=all&var=u&lng=eng

slowing as the days go by and down to zero by day 10 at 60N.

• Like 2

The AO and NAO start working on a more in-tandem and highly connectable basis into the second half of the winter - and with trough disruption into Europe already a feature of the foresseable modelling this November, then any favourable -AO feedback pattern that can be created through (hopefully) sequences of lower stratosphere wave breaking instability in theory could work well for us later in the winter when both the NAO and AO are less independant of one another. This might serve to repress the Azores High and help with undercutting and sliding low pressurePosted Image

Is this a forecast?

Because it isn't born out in reality using NCEP figures, here are the smoothed NAO/AO values, they become more disparate as the winter progresses reaching a peak difference in February when just days apart they reach their average highest and lowest annual values

post-2779-0-75380800-1384519030_thumb.jp

Posted

The buckled ribbon of the jet stream sets up a polar wave breaking feedback cycle that leads to further lower stratosphere/troposphere interference and this in turn sustains and recycles the amplified pattern which creates strong ridges which progress 'downstream' from source into the atlantic assisted by seasonal wavelength changes.

Great post Tamara - I think we've got to add the PDO index into the mix - that really switched negative during 2007 and has got to be feeding into buckling the jet across the pacific.

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting due to the repeat of the trend in the atmosphere which continues for earlier Autumn to deliver troughing deep into the heart of the continent, this energy also diluting the vortex somewhat and leading to clear elongation by day 10. 

Yes - this is exactly the source of my own excitement at the moment that keeps pulling me back to the internet when I should be working.

Why are we having such a different pattern now? Again - no stats to back this up - but the start to this winter has a more dynamic feel to it than even the last half dozen winters and in a +QBO and stable vortex context that would lead me, in my infantile state of knowledge, to think that the winter should be flat as before. Is this perhaps due to less sea ice at the pole? (latest plots show that we have lost ground and that sea ice coverage is pretty unremarkable after the fast start...) or is it Solar... or is there something in the ocean SSTs? There is a seasonal forecast chart - cant find it now - over at the CPS where human input has created a forecast of a great deal of blocking over the high lats of the NM this winter based purely on the SST pattern. Unfortunately for me I have no idea how such conclusions are reached.

Bringing it back to the Strat Thread... it is fascinating at the moment to witness what appears to be a disconnect between the strat and the trop. More knowledgeable posters willl probably shoot me down for that and explain why my basic interpretation is wrong - but nevertheless it is making very interesting watching and researching. 

You mean Hugo van Dools chart?

Edited by sebastiaan1973

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Is this a forecast?

Because it isn't born out in reality using NCEP figures, here are the smoothed NAO/AO values, they become more disparate as the winter progresses reaching a peak difference in February when just days apart they reach their average highest and lowest annual values

Posted ImageNAO AO.jpg

I read extensively on another forum a little while back (a recognised US one) where there was a long thread that discussed a study into AO/NAO coupling behaviour through the winter. It would seem that the majority conclusions from there disagree with the link you have posted, but that doesn't change what is mooted overall wrt the possible stratosphere patterns themselves. It was therefore not a definitive AO/NAO forecast of course, but simply a suggestion based on what I read, and have believed, that may or may not come into play later in the winter - should we see continued stratospheric coupling between the lower/mid stratosphere and the tropsophere.

In simple terms, I think that the prevailing stratospheric patterns determine the AO base state...+ or - and then the NAO profile can be influenced accordingly. It is true to say that last winter f.e it took till towards the late part of the winter and most especially the Spring before we saw a really dynamically productive cohesive AO/NAO combo with properly undercutting low pressurePosted Image We remember in that respect the failed easterly of December where despite a favourable stratospheric and -AO trend (towards the SSW that followed thereafter) the NAO stayed stubbornly neutral/rather positive and 'that ECM' chart remained a fantasyPosted Image . This rather bears out as an example of my suggestion.

This is one for another thread however - as whether it is has credence or not, as stated it is simply a factor that potentially could favourably augment any consequences at our tropospheric surface of any conduisive stratospheric patterns that we hope may be present through the winter as discussed in this thread

@ beng - yes I agreePosted Image

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 5

EP Flux is interesting also the peak influence as a result of that huge ridge across the other side of the globe, with peaks on the 8th and the 12th. Chart from the 8th has the vectors smashing in all directions which to me is a sign of some of the energy impacting the vortex.

Posted Imageep_12z_tr_nh.gif

There has been a fair amount of EP flux but that chart shows it has had minimal impact on the stratosphere and nothing particularly out of the ordinary with regards to wave propagation so far compared to other years - http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/epflux/

post-2779-0-28584500-1384523275_thumb.pnpost-2779-0-27927600-1384523256_thumb.pnpost-2779-0-17560800-1384523300_thumb.pn

post-2779-0-42390200-1384523313_thumb.pnpost-2779-0-55737500-1384523320_thumb.pnpost-2779-0-20324600-1384523329_thumb.pn

post-2779-0-53795700-1384523339_thumb.pnpost-2779-0-24749000-1384523346_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

You mean Hugo van Dools chart?

Yes - that's the one.

I read extensively on another forum a little while back (a recognised US one) where there was a long thread that discussed a study into AO/NAO coupling behaviour through the winter. It would seem that the majority conclusions from there disagree with the link you have posted, but that doesn't change what is mooted overall wrt the possible stratosphere patterns themselves. It was therefore not a definitive AO/NAO forecast of course, but simply a suggestion based on what I read, and have believed, that may or may not come into play later in the winter - should we see continued stratospheric coupling between the lower/mid stratosphere and the tropsophere.

In simple terms, I think that the prevailing stratospheric patterns determine the AO base state...+ or - and then the NAO profile can be influenced accordingly. It is true to say that last winter f.e it took till towards the late part of the winter and most especially the Spring before we saw a really dynamically productive cohesive AO/NAO combo with properly undercutting low pressurePosted Image We remember in that respect the failed easterly of December where despite a favourable stratospheric and -AO trend (towards the SSW that followed thereafter) the NAO stayed stubbornly neutral/rather positive and 'that ECM' chart remained a fantasyPosted Image . This rather bears out as an example of my suggestion.

This is one for another thread however - as whether it is has credence or not, as stated it is simply a factor that potentially could favourably augment any consequences at our tropospheric surface of any conduisive stratospheric patterns that we hope may be present through the winter as discussed in this thread

The source for that graph was purely the daily NCEP data, but a similar result can be seen using other related formulations eg. the NAMI/NAOI by Li and Wang-

http://ljp.lasg.ac.cn/dct/page/65544

It is well known that NAO and AO represent different features atmospherically and a good overview of the differences and similarities for starters would be the paper by Ambaum et al. - Arctic Oscillation or North Atlantic Oscillation? -http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/~sws97mha/articles/jclim2001.pdf

This is pertinent to this stratosphere thread, as the authors point out -

The winds in the stratosphere are also strongly associated with the NAO index. As can be seen in Fig. 7, when this index increases, the strength of the polar night jet increases by nearly 10 m s21 in both the Atlantic and Pacific sectors. The connection of the NAO index to the strength of the polar night jet is well established and can be related to the propagation of planetary waves from the troposphere to the stratosphere [Charney and Drazin (1961); see also Hartmann et al. (2000)]. There are also suggestions that independent changes of the stratospheric circulation may force a tropospheric response in the NAO or AO (Baldwin and Dunkerton 1999; Hartmann et al. 2000), although these links appear to be weaker and are only present in winter mean data.

The presumption that the strat will be controlling the troposphere ignores the fact that the reverse relationship is usually stronger. The strat vortex isn't totally separate at the moment and strengthening in isolation, the recent +NAO has most likely been assisting.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

We have a stable vortex but a lot of meridional activity in the trop with ridges in the north pacific and soon to come the north atlantic penetrating the arctic with comparative ease. Energy seems to be firing southwards all around the globe with our own burst coming next week and north america also being subjected to troughing.

My observation of the dreadful winters of the recent past [oh come on... I write "m0dern era" and it is changed to "christmas pudding?" - someone is having a laugh with that filter!) was that such things just did not happen. The vortex was strong and the pattern stayed flat for what felt like an eternity with only brief toppling highs in the atlantic to break the tedium. 

A very good post, the Jetstream hemispherically has changed both in being more generally south and very loopy and wavy in pattern and seems to have come very much in play since 2007 when the perturbation cycle changed.  In past time we wouldn't and couldn't see anything blocked and cold with a very strong and organised vortex but it seems now nigh on anything is on the playing field.

Is there a disconnect?  I think it was brought up last year and look forward to more indulgence from the techs 

BFTP 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

Could the good synoptics appearing in the charts at the moment be due to the +QBO and the increase in solar activity?

Posted

Ironic really if some forecasters are looking at low solar activity being a persecutor of cold winters

Activity is still low in the grander scheme of things.

Posted

This is what we have been waiting to see -

Posted Imageecmwf30f240.gif

Guess when we have seen this before?

Decent increase in wave 2 activity as well;

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/figs/ecmwf1/ecmwfzm_ha2_f240.gif

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/figs/ecmwf1/ecmwfzm_ta2_f240.gif

This better not be another ECMWF model error, once is enough!

Not sure on year Ed...awaiting your answer.

M.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Decent increase in wave 2 activity as well;

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/figs/ecmwf1/ecmwfzm_ha2_f240.gif

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/figs/ecmwf1/ecmwfzm_ta2_f240.gif

This better not be another ECMWF model error, once is enough!

Not sure on year Ed...awaiting your answer.

M.

Hi Matt we have seen splits like this prior to the early winter cold spells in both 2009 and 2010.

For the local trop induced wave split upwards into the lower strat is very favourable for producing significant cold in our neck of the woods.

Here is 2009 strat link  http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/57364-stratosphere-temperature-watch/?p=1625056

And 2010 (but with charts missing) http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/64621-stratosphere-temperature-watch/?p=1952060

We could see some interesting trop output. What a time for the ECM to upgrade its model especially wrt to strat input.

• Like 8