Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2013/2014

Posted

Solar max is a somewhat nebulous arithmetic concept anyway: where's the max here?

Posted Image

Rest assured we are in the current year(s) of peak activity. The poles have flipped recently as we can see here:

Posted Image

I'm pretty dubious about solar-climate connections to be honest, especially at the short range.

Posted Image

I think it's safe to say that we are past solar maximum now. Also the solar maximum was a very low one. The correlation between solar cycle/QBO/SSWs is more based on actual solar flux 10.7 cm rather than solar maximum/minimum. So even though we are close to a solar maximum, the actual solar flux is low as this has been a very weak solar maximum. I wasn't a great supporter of solar-climate links either, but the soalr cycle/qbo links have shown some good correlations in experiments, particularly solar max/qbo west links.

http://strat-www.met.fu-berlin.de/labitzke/moreqbo/MZ-Labitzke-et-al-2006.pdf

Page 8 shows the graphs and it shows a decent positive correlation between West QBO, Solar flux and SSWs, though the correlation is weaker when it comes to East QBO and solar flux.

Edit: Forgot that they're measuring 30hpa Geopotential height at the North Pole, not SSWs. But greater heights at the North Pole implies displaced/split/weakened vortex.

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

A great new topic, and so much material to work with. Posted Image And the awesome intro post by chionomaniac. Posted Image

That composite speaks for itself, but you have to keep in mind that there is much more to those years than just the low sea ice, like the oceans. So if I could rephrase that sentence, I would say "The current AMO/PDO combination 500 hpa anomaly give us a massive tropospheric headstart". Posted Image Of course among many other things, but keeping the main players in mind. Also realizing that the PDO and AMO are the "gatekeepers" to the Arctic. Too bad the sea ice data goes only back to 1980, because it would be interesting to see a correlation of these two cycles and the sea ice, for at least 100 years back. Posted Image

For example: Comparison of the last 3 great ocean cycle swings. 

50-75= Cold PDO / Warm AMO

80-98= Warm PDO / Cold AMO

99-12= Cold PDO / Warm AMO (as 50-75)

Posted Image

That would be all for now. Posted Image

Best regards.

That fits very snugly with the link I have suggested that a -ve NAO is highly 'encouraged' by the -ve PDO and current solar driven perturbation cycle.  The composites are quite stark.  We have added whammy of a very low solar cycle possibly heading towards a deep minima a la Dalton or Maunder. 

Anyway, its the strat thread....but I think they are intrinsically linked

BFTP

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

would this be more wave activity forecast by the GFS 18z and I know its way out in FI but the wave activity we are seeing just now had some signs showing in FI on the GFS.

post-18233-0-82742800-1381882516_thumb.ppost-18233-0-14339100-1381882578_thumb.ppost-18233-0-30174800-1381882595_thumb.p

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

That fits very snugly with the link I have suggested that a -ve NAO is highly 'encouraged' by the -ve PDO and current solar driven perturbation cycle.  The composites are quite stark.  We have added whammy of a very low solar cycle possibly heading towards a deep minima a la Dalton or Maunder. 

Anyway, its the strat thread....but I think they are intrinsically linked

BFTP

I did see data on another forum a while ago which evidenced a good positive correlation between the winter PDO and AO on a decadal timescale (ergo a -PDO decade is typically also a -AO decade).

• Like 1

Posted

would this be more wave activity forecast by the GFS 18z and I know its way out in FI but the wave activity we are seeing just now had some signs showing in FI on the GFS.

Posted Imagegfsnh-10-384.pngPosted Imagenpst30.pngPosted Imagenpst30CATQ0ZAA.png

When it's below the latitude of the UK, definitely not anything of the sort we tend to look for. Edited by Harve
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stratosphere, Thunderstorms, Hurricanes, Snow Prediction

I haven't had much time yet but I now take this opportunity to repeat what has already been said: thanks very much Ed and other contributors to make this thread, abeit quite technical, VERY VERY interesting and informative!!

It really furthers our knowledge of atmospheric physics every time.

Best regards,

Stephane

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

I have also been watching the NH polar vortex and jet streams for the past 4 winters. I am involved in solar research and have an interest in weather effects from a quiet Sun. The jet stream looks to be affected by changes in the ozone quantites in the top of the stratosphere where above 45km the quanity is increasing during this what could be a grand solar minimum.

I also think a shrinking thermosphere is somehow related to the changes we are seeing with low pressure systems world wide, the jet stream is meridional no matter what phase the AO is in it seems. The more abundant low pressure systems doing their thing. I am predicting the harshest winter this year to be in Russia and central Europe because of the QBO westerly phase.

I have predicted the coming NH winter at the end of July for the last 4 years, the following link shows this coming winter along with links to past predictions.

http://www.landscheidt.info/?q=node/311

The Sun and net weather effects are "under new management" during what will be known as the Landscheidt Minimum. The new paradigm should last 30 years and have nothing to do with so called global warming.

ps...my research is very different to Landscheidts.

Welcome Geoff yo Netweather. I always have a look at your website before coming here and your paper on the uranus/neptune effect adds to this whole debate keep up the great work

Jon

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Thanks for those links Matt - will bookmark. And welcome to Netweather Geoff.

• Like 1

Posted

Also one of the SSW's that interest me this winter is the one from 2009. If we recap then this occurred early Feb 2009 in a west QBO during solar MINIMUM - previously unheard of. This occurred during the first strat temp watch thread and I remember our surprise at this event at the time. There is another comparitive study that showed that the pre-SSW period in 2009 was characterized by a peak in the 100 hPa eddy heat flux with a predominance of wave number 2 activity. This was due to strong anomalies associated with Rossby wave packets originating from a deep ridge over the eastern Pacific.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2010JD015023/abstract

So that is what we will need to look out for and monitor this winter - the 100hPa heat flux - especially in January. As soon as the US govt sites are back then I will go straight to the composites to look at analogue years for that and East Pacific Ridges in January. In fact I have aleady looked up H500 anomaly for January analogue years and guess what? Yes - big signal for that East Pacific ridge. More credence to that split SSW early Feb theory?

If I'm correct, that SSW had trouble with downwelling due to the westerly QBO (?), so the effects on 'our' weather were limited.

Thanks for the welcome, my interests in the jet stream will compound further as our local Australian media and opposition parties are going mad on the extreme weather events that have encouraged severe bush fire events. The persistant low pressure systems are dragging warm air from the interior associated with strong winds that provide great conditions for wild fires. This will be a weather pattern that will last 30 years, fun times ahead.

Down in the Southern Hemisphere we have seen a fairly strong negative AAO with our southern vortex being broken up with Antarctic high pressures and temps. The jet stream has moved away from the south pole and is affecting the mainland of Australia. Down here we are not supposed to be affected by planetary waves so the breakup of the southern vortex is perhaps more of a mystery.

Edited by Geoff Sharp
  • Like 1

Posted

Just a quick one, but interesting Asian mountain torque event evident at the moment;

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/map/images/reanalysis/aam_total/gltaum.90day.gif

Reasonable region of ozone build up as well in relation to that region of warmth that has been highlighted;

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/strat_a_f/gif_files/gfs_toz_nh_f48.gif

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/figs/ecmwf1/ecmwf30f48.gif

EC does remove it with time and the vortex becomes increasingly potent at the upper levels. Be interesting to see if it has any possible influences within the early stages of the season mind, as at 30hPa at least temps have been 'stumbling' somewhat - http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/STRAT/html_e/pole30_n.html

Interesting to note the EC32 shows a gradual progression away from the particularly cyclonic S or SW'ly regime the deeper we progress into November with a possible cooler/colder anticyclonic spell towards mid-month. Perhaps the above is having some influence(?)

Interesting start to the season in a way.

Cheers, Matt.

• Like 6

Posted

I wouldn't have thought so WH.

If we were in a blocked winter pattern, the high likliehood is that a SSW would aid the continuance of the blocking rather than hinder it.

Indeed, if were all ready in a blocked winter pattern caused by forcing other than a SSW, a SSW would be the winter icing on a cake.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

I have asked this question before or something similar to it but say we are in a blocked pattern and it's providing a really wintry spell, would you want a SSW to happen as it could potentially disrupt the blocked pattern?

My answer would always be yes. Firstly, a blocked pattern is more likely to lead to a SSW - it's all part of the troposphreric/ stratospheric feedback mechanism and any SSW is likely to prolong a blocked pattern, not shorten it imo.

Just as MS has said above!!

Edited by chionomaniac
  • Like 1

Posted

Does it not depend on where the fragmenting vortex goes and how it intereacts with the blocking high?

Is it fair to assume that it will always strengthen the block?

EDIT: Disregard. Chiono answered as I was typing.

Edited by FrenchScotPilot1

Posted

I'm after an explanation about the link between Mountain Torque (there's one in Asia just now, so it is topical) and SSWs.

What is the physics behind it, what happens during the event?

Many thanks!

Posted

My answer would always be yes. Firstly, a blocked pattern is more likely to lead to a SSW - it's all part of the troposphreric/ stratospheric feedback mechanism and any SSW is likely to prolong a blocked pattern, not shorten it imo.

It seems a bit like the chicken or egg scenario that one Chion?

I hope you don't think I'm a bit of a Stratophobe by the way.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer

Posted

It seems a bit like the chicken or egg scenario that one Chion?

Not at all. I would go as far to say that some ridging/blocking conditions are of great importance in the first place. Just like chiono said, its all a part of the troposphere/stratosphere coupling. And as is also evident on the composite for the weak polar vortex. And just for consideration: Split SSW: If you have a split vortex from the Pacific and the Atlantic, I don't think we will have to think twice where the split is "likely" to connect, or what would happen to the connecting ridge. A huge generalisation, with exceptions to every rule, but I hope the point I am trying to make here is obvious. Posted Image

Posted Image

As Matt has pointed out, a decent mountain torque event is in progress in E. Asia, starting around 14th, with the increasing pressure gradients, and currently peaking.

Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image

The 10mb and 30mb temperature graphs look intriguing, with a temporary hold of the cool-down. I have plotted the 30mb and 10mb GFS forecasts, with 30mb on the downward trend, while 10mb kinda holds.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Best regards.

• Like 6

Posted

My answer would always be yes. Firstly, a blocked pattern is more likely to lead to a SSW - it's all part of the troposphreric/ stratospheric feedback mechanism and any SSW is likely to prolong a blocked pattern, not shorten it imo. Just as MS has said above!!

Thanks for your answer.I'm thinking what happened 1976-77 when the first half of winter was really cold, there was a SSW during the January and the rest of winter was mild.

Posted

Not at all. I would go as far to say that some ridging/blocking conditions are of great importance in the first place. Just like chiono said, its all a part of the troposphere/stratosphere coupling. And as is also evident on the composite for the weak polar vortex. And just for consideration: Split SSW: If you have a split vortex from the Pacific and the Atlantic, I don't think we will have to think twice where the split is "likely" to connect, or what would happen to the connecting ridge. A huge generalisation, with exceptions to every rule, but I hope the point I am trying to make here is obvious. Posted Image

Posted Image

As Matt has pointed out, a decent mountain torque event is in progress in E. Asia, starting around 14th, with the increasing pressure gradients, and currently peaking.

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

The 10mb and 30mb temperature graphs look intriguing, with a temporary hold of the cool-down. I have plotted the 30mb and 10mb GFS forecasts, with 30mb on the downward trend, while 10mb kinda holds.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Best regards.

Excellent stuff Recretos thank you.

• Like 1