Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2013/2014

Posted

No downgrade.

Posted Image

+4 Towards the centre

Posted Image

-12 But has pushed a good deal into the Arctic and is pressing on against the frozen core.

Todays 06z confirms this development. Funny, GFS was hinting on the strong Asian warming/displacement some days ago, only to switch to a more split-like evolution. Now GFS seems to have picked up on the displacement again and is actually looking pretty at high levels. Could this be due to tropospheric developments ie. MT events? Anyone?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

what 'mb' do we require the reversal to spread to in order for it to reach the troposphere?

Ultimately right the way down to the troposphere (500mb)!, a good benchmark of how good a warming event is though is when it hits SSW territory (a mean reversal at 10mb at 60N), I would be looking for that for the time being and then hopefully see it coming into range of the ECM, 100mb though is usually a reasonable guidance for troposphere. As posted earlier by someone, it does now really look like we are reliant on more warmings as the 0z 500mb output from the operationals is less than inspiring.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

At 60N, the reversal is down to 1,5mb. But it is lower down around. 

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

The best run so far this season is still the 06z from 01/01. GFS ran the 00z cycle of 01/01, and then went to the new year model party. And he must've been pretty smashed from the party in the morning when he ran the 06z cycle. Posted Image

Edited by Recretos
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

At 60N, the reversal is down to 1,5mb. But it is lower down around. 

The best run so far this season is still the 06z from 01/01. GFS ran the 00z cycle of 01/01, and then went to the new year model party. And he must've been pretty smashed from the party in the morning when he ran the 06z cycle. Posted Image

Cannot believe that run, did that just disappear on the next run like the 384 tropospheric outputs do? I wish we could get some more runs like that consistently.  Do you have any view yet as to how this warming might pan out and on what timescale it may affect the troposphere?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

No signs of an SSW between now and February according to Chris Fawkes

@chrisfawkes

.@JJHutch82 I'm afraid it's wishful thinking there are no signs of sudden stratospheric warming between now and February

Posted

No signs of an SSW between now and February according to Chris Fawkes @chrisfawkes.@JJHutch82 I'm afraid it's wishful thinking there are no signs of sudden stratospheric warming between now and February

A strange thing to say considering the Sudden in the title.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

No signs is a bit strong. Sure its hardly guaranteed "no signs" seems a bit misleading.

Posted

Apparently wishful thinking equals reading a chart correctly. His explanation is awful as well the reason the ECM isn't buying it is because the projected warming hasn't reached t240 yet. I appreciate it would be foolish to be confident of an SSW in 2 weeks but the signs certainly are there for a big warm up in the stratosphere, I don't know how he can deny that. Whether it leads to an SSW or not is a different story.

Posted

No signs of an SSW between now and February according to Chris Fawkes

@chrisfawkes

.@JJHutch82 I'm afraid it's wishful thinking there are no signs of sudden stratospheric warming between now and February

I presume by that he means the remainder of January. GFS shows the potential SSW is in early February. Posted Image

Edited by radiohead
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

To be fair, that tweet was before the 12z output was out (ie 12z GFS) therefore is a bit misleading now.

• Like 1

Posted

To be fair, that tweet was before the 12z output was out (ie 12z GFS) therefore is a bit misleading now.

Big warming was picked up days ago with several of the previous runs in the last couple of days going for the warming to reach the North Pole.

Posted

"The most notable thing is the large amount zonality and cyclonic energy in the Atlantic sector, pretty much all the way from the troposphere to the upper stratosphere." 

I fear this is a bad thing?

Thnx for your great post btw! :)

Posted

Silly question but does it matter what a certain Chrisfawkes thinks I would

prefer to believe the consistency of the strat charts myself. As for an

actual SSW this warming does seem to want to have a good crack at it.

Great post again Recretos.

Posted

These kind of products are good when you are trying to pin-point where a model might make the SSW "contact" with the troposphere. To be fully honest, I am testing all these products mainly for the next season (14/15) which should be one bomb of a season of strat. monitoring, and where all of the products I am testing with at the moment the next season (14/15) which should be one bomb of a season of strat. monitoring, and where all of the products I am testing with at the moment, might prove they are actually helpful with forecasting possible SSW induced effects (where and when), if one might occur.

The futures bright the future is Recretos. I, like everyone else wish you success in your future plans of predicting precise effects and placements to the lower Troposphere from a SSW. Between Chionomanic the Strat Oracle and Recretos I think you have the entire Strat puzzle nearly sussed. Business partnership in the making ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

anyone else encouraged by the longevity of current wave 1 activity.  Last week (unless i've gone mad) i'm sure this was forecast to drop off but the 10 day forecast still shows some decent activity.  Ok so its not the wave 2 that we all crave, but still good to see

post-15445-0-56290000-1390221888_thumb.g

And on the topic of wave 2, perhaps just the slightest hints at day 10 of some resurgence at the very top? (bit straw clutchy i know)

post-15445-0-35956500-1390221998_thumb.g

Edited by Suburban Streamer

Posted

hi everyone

sorry the questionfor europe what is important to see: wave1 or wave2 ? ( models )

thanks !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

No signs is a bit strong. Sure its hardly guaranteed "no signs" seems a bit misleading.

Matt Hugo tweeted Chris back

Chris, given latest and on-going info this is particularly dismissive, saying "no signs" is incorrect IMO...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I keep looking for further signs of vortex break up after some recent promising looking 500hPa modeling but this pv is one heck of a beast to bring down.

We are in a slightly better place now after recent wave activity with the slowing of mean zonal winds and a recent upturn in the Strat. temps.

Posted Image

However the graph above shows what a low base we came from and now we seem to be going into a pause in any further weakening for now.

Still those zonal wind reductions to around 20m/s gives us an even chance of some reduction in the westerlies with our Scandi.block holding on for dear life.

We need some more wave activity now to really push the pattern towards further blocking.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 2

Posted

The start of the warming is coming very close to the high res timeframe of the GFS and will be coming in to the ECM timeframe soon. Hopefully we can see some agreement between the two. So far up to t+240 they both appear to be agreeing, with a small warming in the Russian region not causing too much damage, followed by a weakening of the warming at around t+220-240.

post-20773-0-76526300-1390236491_thumb.g

post-20773-0-43540300-1390236512_thumb.p

With any luck we should see the bigger warming appear on the ECM 240 chart tomorrow or on Wednesday.

Edited by Snowy L

Posted

the temps on the gfs 12z op final chart looked like they may be showing a ssw at 10hpa. however, the heights reveal a reversal at the very top of the strat only. (as i think was also the case yesterday)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

It seems from the 00z that the warming is coming into the more reliable time frame now

+180 GFSpost-16760-0-22367200-1390292802_thumb.j

And then by +240 warming is well under way,

post-16760-0-38714800-1390292824_thumb.j

And we end with this, which would do just nicely thanks

post-16760-0-42515800-1390292876_thumb.j

Edited by karlos1983

Posted

Yes, GFS is playing Mr. Consistency again, but EC is not on board (temperature)!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edit: again large differences between EC01-20 12z and GFS01-21 06z. Check out the difference at 1 hpa by the end of the month. 

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Ruben Amsterdam