Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2013/2014

Posted

the 00z gfs op reminds us this is not quite a 'done deal'. The vortex at the end of the run is not beyond repair, but doesn't look great. Yesterday's Berlin data continues its consistency. whether the zonal wind charts late on are likely to verify unknown but it reminds me that when downwelling begins, it can flush the stronger zonal winds down into the trop, giving a period of enhanced zonality in the high latitudes. If so, our neg AO, won't last too long!

That will mean a lost battle in our attempt to 'win the war', but it is likely one we would lose anyway. (Just another way of saying the current trop charts showing some blocking to our north first half jan wouldn't happen)

Posted

The GFS 0h is in my opinion not a good run, see 1hPa at 384. It remains rather cool (altough warmer than now) and the vortex remains intact and on his place. But at this range it will change again and again.

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-strat.php?run=2014010100&var=HGT&lev=1mb&hour=384

post-10577-0-25862800-1388565514_thumb.g

post-10577-0-85289600-1388565521_thumb.g

Edited by sebastiaan1973

Posted

We seem to make one step forward (yesterday's 18z) and one step back (today's 0z).

Karyo

Reminds me of the song "One step forward, two steps back" by the Desert Rose Band. Luckily GFS06 makes a large step forward (one might even call it a leap at the end of the run).

Posted Image

Cheers,

Ruben

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The GFS 0h is in my opinion not a good run, see 1hPa at 384. It remains rather cool (altough warmer than now) and the vortex remains intact and on his place. But at this range it will change again and again.

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-strat.php?run=2014010100&var=HGT&lev=1mb&hour=384

And it does, lovely 1mb chart on the 6z!

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-strat.php?run=2014010106&var=HGT&lev=1mb&hour=324

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Interesting:  post-14819-0-99008300-1388573369_thumb.ppost-14819-0-30537500-1388573648_thumb.g

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 1

Posted

it would - anyone fancy matching the 10 day 10hpa chart from berlin yesterday with recent gfs op runs to see where it sits re temps and height pattern?? (make sure the timescales correlate!)

Posted

Reminds me of the song "One step forward, two steps back" by the Desert Rose Band. Luckily GFS06 makes a large step forward (one might even call it a leap at the end of the run).

Posted Image

Cheers,

Ruben

Indeed Ruben, that looks awesome! Let's hope for some consistency from now on.

Karyo

• Like 1

Posted

it would - anyone fancy matching the 10 day 10hpa chart from berlin yesterday with recent gfs op runs to see where it sits re temps and height pattern?? (make sure the timescales correlate!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-strat.php?run=2014010106&var=HGT&lev=10mb&hour=204

Posted

ECM missing the warmth in ne canada. That's quite important to the evolution

Yes, is the ECM the better verifying model at 10mb at T240 then is the next question to ask??

Posted

After this mornings relatively  poor GFS 0z strat run I was going to make a post along the lines of

say I would not be surprised to see the strat warming come back stronger and sooner over coming

runs, and then along comes the 06z run and beat me to it.

Wheather this is due to data issues who knows but what a run this morning.

As I posted in the model thread I think along with many more knowledgeable posters on here that

this would have major implications on the troposphere and weather for Europe and the UK.

We would be in prime position for possible major Arctic outbreaks from the east and northeast.

Looking forward to Recretos and others posts on this major upgrade in the warming to come.

Edited by cooling climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

At work today so cannot post charts, the JMA page has some telltale signs of SSW with respect to EP Flux stratosphere plots, poleward vectors visible on latest output, helluva 06z GFS run also.

Stratosphere http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/STRAT/html_e/ep_12z_st_nh.html

Trop & Strat http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/STRAT/html_e/ep_12z_nh.html

• Like 5

Posted

After this mornings relatively  poor GFS 0z strat run I was going to make a post along the lines of

say I would not be surprised to see the strat warming come back stronger and sooner over coming

runs, and then along comes the 06z run and beat me to it.

Wheather this is due to data issues who knows but what a run this morning.

As I posted in the model thread I think along with many more knowledgeable posters on here that

this would have major implications on the troposphere and weather for Europe and the UK.

We would be in prime position for possible major Arctic outbreaks from the east and northeast.

Looking forward to Recretos and others posts on this major upgrade in the warming to come.

hi Cooling climate. I wonder if this is true. Is there a relation between warming in the stratosphere and the placement of areas of high and low pressure in the troposhere. Never read something like that in an article (?).

Just read a wonderfull new chart from Weerwoord. A Belgium site. Thanks to Lars. http://weerwoord.be/includes/forum_read.php?id=1930965&tid=1930902

Horizontal time, vertical windspeed. Red is oper, blue control, brown average. So not much support for the Oper. Oper shows not a SSW, but it is close call!

post-10577-0-91117300-1388580042_thumb.p

Edited by sebastiaan1973
  • Like 1

Posted

hi Cooling climate. I wonder if this is true. Is there a relation between warming in the stratosphere and the placement of areas of high and low pressure in the troposhere. Never read something like that in an article (?).Just read a wonderfull new chart from Weerwoord. A Belgium site. Thanks to Lars. http://weerwoord.be/includes/forum_read.php?id=1930965&tid=1930902Horizontal time, vertical windspeed. Red is oper, blue control, brown average. So not much support for the Oper. Oper shows not a SSW, but it is close call!

Comparing with ECM op, the gfs op zonal wind is much too low Sebastian. A good find there! Edited by bluearmy

Posted

Recretos, last January, ECM ens were clearly missing the upcoming SSW as it topped out at 5hpa. Gefs were more responsive, showing some quick responses around a week after the forecast SSW. clearly the top down strong wave breaking makes the ens inappropriate in top down events. However, the gfs 06z op is approx 10m/s quicker than ECM op on yesterday's 12z.

I am aware that we may see that increase in zonal winds flush down, but day 10 is surely too quick for that.

Posted

It depends on how the stratospheric picture looked like in GEFS last year, and in what lead time did it start showing the response. And lets not forget that the SSW last year was different than what this one might be (if at all), with the later split going very fast throughout a very deep layer and with much more direct interaction with the troposphere (hence the lesser sensitivity to the model top), so the ensembles had a slightly easier job than this year (as you mentioned the top-down or bottom-up). This year GEFS obviously has no dynamics whatsoever in the later stages of the current runs, so if it wont grab onto something in the coming week and will continue with this p.v. stability, than it will be interesting to see how it will evolve the tropospheric patterns compared to the ECM EPS. But of course considering if there will actually be such wave activity as it is being suggested by the mean of GFS op runs for the FI.

As I said, this will be a very good test for GEFS, especially now when I/we can actually see how it looks like in the stratosphere.

I hear ya on the ECM vs GFS op U comparison.

Edited by Recretos

Posted

Happy new year everyone!!

Catching up having missed all since yesterday's 06z. The usual inconsistencies abound but there does seem to be a trend to pull the very low heights away from our NW and to build heights to the NE. Loving the ECM, full of potential, but this. this blew my mind... !

post-5114-0-09403300-1388588984_thumb.gi

post-5114-0-59984100-1388588989_thumb.gi

That is some upper strat warming being forecast there on an otherwise uninspiring 06z GFS (tropispherically speaking).

Things are starting to get very interesting for the second half of this month.

EDIT: Doh, meant to post this in the model thread but as it turns out my excitement was reference events forecasted to occur up in the stratosphere Posted Image

Edited by s4lancia
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

The equatorial zonal winds look to have weakened quite nicely in December. Looks quite likely to be lower than December 2008 but we wait for NOAA to update the figures.   

post-15445-0-08061700-1388591858_thumb.g November 2013 post-15445-0-27644300-1388591442_thumb.g December 2013

post-15445-0-26651300-1388591531_thumb.g December 2008

Edited by Suburban Streamer