Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2013/2014

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

What does that mean? 

Karyo

It effectively means that even though the vortex is stretched by the wave 2 activity, it never really loses its strength. So when the wave activity reduces the stretching reduces with it and the vortex is likely to retire back to the pole. The warming never really penetrates through the surf zone and into the core of the vortex and this is critical for those hoping to see the strength reduce significantly. That isn't to say that that won't happen in future runs - it's just not being forecast presently.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

It effectively means that even though the vortex is stretched by the wave 2 activity, it never really loses its strength. So when the wave activity reduces the stretching reduces with it and the vortex is likely to retire back to the pole. The warming never really penetrates through the surf zone and into the core of the vortex and this is critical for those hoping to see the strength reduce significantly. That isn't to say that that won't happen in future runs - it's just not being forecast presently.

Is the surf zone the area on the boundary between the vortex and high heights?

Posted

Is the surf zone the area on the boundary between the vortex and high heights?

Yes - as described by:

McIntyre, M. E., and T. N. Palmer (1984), The ‘surf zone’ in the

stratosphere, J. Atmos. Terr. Phys., 46, 825–849.
  • Like 3

Posted

good evening in the late hours

Pressure Altitude Calculator ( converter )

example = 10mb ( millibars ... hpa ) => 25907.5 m ( or feet => ft )

example = 850mb => ~1500 m

Posted Image

source: http://www.csgnetwork.com/pressurealtcalc.html

===

northern hemisphere

stratosphere diagnostics

temperature at 30 mb

ecmwf

Posted Image

===

northern hemisphere

stratosphere diagnostics

geopotential hight ( dam ) at 2 PVU

ecmwf

Posted Image

===

Polar Vortex Frcst

animation ( +00 h - +96 h )

Posted Image

Edited by aginob
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Increasingly noteworthy wave 2 activity forecast for the turn of the year now;

http://users.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/figs/ecmwf1/ecmwfzm_ha2_f240.gif

This is likely to make NWP output rather volatile in FI.

Edited by AWD
  • Like 2

Posted

good morning

freie universität berlin D

stratosphere diagnostics ecmwf via dwd

again online http://www.geo.fu-berlin.de

===

community forum team and user netweather UK

I wish you all merry christmas 2013 and a happy new year 2014

Edited by aginob
  • Like 3

Posted

Decent reduction in zonal winds at the the top of the strat being forecast

post-5114-0-90009400-1387788107_thumb.gi

A vortex under pressure, strong wave 2 signature very graphic here...

post-5114-0-31352200-1387788319_thumb.gi

Edited by s4lancia
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

That is quite a big wave.... and could really do some damage to the vortex, sk. Highly promising this forecast for (comparatively) early in the New Year. I know I did suggest strong wave 2 activity in Jan to overwhelm the vortex by Feb - but I am even surprised by this forecast.

The irony of it is , if these forecasts go as planned we may actually have a fantastic jan , considering how poor things looked until recently , my first snow fall last year was 19th jan , so still plenty of time to have a good winter . . . Good to see such strong wave activity in the pipe line .
  • Like 1

Posted

22.12.2013 00 UTC - 23.12.2013 00 UTC - 23.12.2013 12 UTC

northern hemisphere

surface chart

hights vorticity mslp

animation

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

That is quite a big wave.... and could really do some damage to the vortex, sk. Highly promising this forecast for (comparatively) early in the New Year. I know I did suggest strong wave 2 activity in Jan to overwhelm the vortex by Feb - but I am even surprised by this forecast.

Do you think the ECM forecast is overdoing the wave forecasts as per Rectretos post or is some sort of decent even possible earlier than first thought?

Posted

Hope the stratosphere/vortex experts don't mind me asking a couple of historic questions in here.

1) Has the PV always been around Greenland/Canada/Siberia ? I gather it tends in winter to be around 80-90N though could be anywhere within that area. That said, there seems to be a preponderance toward Greenland rather than say north of Scandinavia. I wonder where the PV was and what it looked like in the LIA or in the last Ice Age ? 

2) Similar question re: stratosphere temps. We talk about a cold stratosphere in winter and I understand it's warmer in summer etc, etc but what were strat temperatures like during the LIA or the last Ice Age ? Historical accounts of winters in the LIA talk about cold and frost rather than snow which makes me think the prevailing synoptics were an easterly flow from HP over Scandinavia or to the North of the UK. That synoptic would suggest a warmer stratosphere and a much less vigorous PV but is there any scientific evidence for that assumption ?

Presumably when the last Ice Age ended, there was a gradual (rapid in geological terms) re-distribution of the atmosphere from what prevailed in the colder epoch to the current interglacial but what triggered that - solar activity ?

Posted

Note the end of the 12z gfs op shows the vortex repositioning towards the pole having survived the Asian warming. This is what ed expected.

As far as the ECM forecasts are concerned, the wave 2 stuff is consistent and the wave 1 has been showing for a few days. Looking back at sat/sun, the day 9/10 forecasts tend to be a bit overdone.

at least there's something to look at in the mornings!

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy Winters, Hot and Sunny Summers - Never Mild!

Note the end of the 12z gfs op shows the vortex repositioning towards the pole having survived the Asian warming. This is what ed expected.

As far as the ECM forecasts are concerned, the wave 2 stuff is consistent and the wave 1 has been showing for a few days. Looking back at sat/sun, the day 9/10 forecasts tend to be a bit overdone.

at least there's something to look at in the mornings!

Actually, bluearmy, I see the exact opposite.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but the chart below of the t384 12z op run shows a weak PV with the artic high sitting more or less in centre (Notice the yellows over Alaska). Also the PV is strectched in the t384 chart, with two warmings on either side. I'm not saying it will happen; I'm just saying what I'm seeing, unless I'm seeing it all wrong?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted

Note the end of the 12z gfs op shows the vortex repositioning towards the pole having survived the Asian warming. This is what ed expected.As far as the ECM forecasts are concerned, the wave 2 stuff is consistent and the wave 1 has been showing for a few days. Looking back at sat/sun, the day 9/10 forecasts tend to be a bit overdone.at least there's something to look at in the mornings!

I would not have thought that the warming would have had much affect in thetroposphere at that range. The warming is still up around the 10-30mb level.The GPH maps show a possible split taking place in the mid levels (30mb)andas this downwells in to the lower levels and hopefully troposphere in the daysto come we should see a split taking place.I have a question which has been nagging me. How do you know what is wave 1activity and what is wave 2.Cheers. Edited by cooling climate

Posted

i'm afraid the two charts are not comparable. the first being the troposphere at 500hpa whilst the second is the upper strat at 10hpa.  they are a long way apart (or as ed might say, there are a hell of a lot of spinning plates between them).

also, that meteociel chart is only showing the temperature and doesnt show the heights so we dont see the exact vortex placement and shape>

• Like 3

Posted

good evening

i hope is correct

see animation

red color ( 60°N )

northern hemisphere

wave 2

Posted Image

pressure level: 10mb 30mb 50mb 70mb 100mb 150mb

===

northern hemisphere

surface

Posted Image

Edited by aginob

Posted

I have a question which has been nagging me. How do you know what is wave 1activity and what is wave 2.Cheers.

Without the help of the ECM wave amplitude charts, the shape of the vortex is a dead giveaway. With wave 1 type events the large scale wave presses onto the vortex from one side and the vortex will look like a big comma shape. With wave 2 type events the vortex will look elongated - like a sausage, with 2 sources of warming evident on opposite sides of the hemisphere.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

18z offering a Greenland warming!

Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

18z offering a Greenland warming!

Posted Image

Wow that's a big improvement to the earlier charts today. That second warming is back (makes sense seeing as we have both wave-1 and wave-2 breaking going on) and that is very close to becoming a decent minor warming at least.

• Like 1