Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Alps Snow thread Season 2013-14

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

Fantastic conditions today, continued snowing overnight up the top bringing the base to 1m - lovely cold conditions today.

International ski teams were out practicing today, shared chairlifts with Austrian, French and American teams, hard life eh?

Keeping it a little but more on topic, Fridays snowfall seems to be some what downgraded (again) with only 5-10cm forecast in te valley (Carinthian correct me if I'm wrong?) followed by more on Sunday and Monday, just glad pressure is finally falling over Europe after the high pressure fest, long may it continue!

post-8272-0-29846600-1390409371_thumb.jp

post-8272-0-31553100-1390409419_thumb.jp

post-8272-0-86176000-1390409485_thumb.jp

post-8272-0-69788700-1390409737_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Good to read the 'on location' reports from John H. in Wengen and uksnow in Kitzbuhel. Especially that snow conditions in both resorts are good despite the somewhat erratic winter that ski resorts have experienced so far this year.

I will be enjoying a weeks skiing in La Clusaz in the Haute Savoie from this Saturday 25th Jan so will also report from the resort. Looks like the Alps will become increasingly cold next week which is good news. It also looks like becoming increasingly unsettled as recent runs from ECM and GFS show low pressure becoming the dominant feature. With 850 hPa temps varying between 0c and -5c, there should be a fair amount of snow around, including down to resort level.

For interest, below is the Euro4 chart for tomorrow (Friday 24th Jan) showing fairly widespread snow across the Alps.

Finally - J10, I'm looking forward to your updates this week! Carinthian, any thoughts from the Austrian team about the upcoming weather?

Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Planning to book a late deal next week departing on 1st Feb for by 30th on the 7th :)

Not really sure what to do - I am a big off piste skier and after the drab week away at Christmas and sticking mainly to piste I need my powder fix!

I'm thinking that I may be best looking to head west to find the best conditions - what are everyone else's thoughts?

Any eyeball reports of decent conditions currently away from the pistes?

For anyone interested, below is a ling to my ski channel:-

http://www.youtube.com/user/NoProSkiChannel

Posted

Planning to book a late deal next week departing on 1st Feb for by 30th on the 7th :) Not really sure what to do ........ http://www.youtube.com/user/NoProSkiChannel

Hi Chris,I'm not an off-piste skier so will only comment from a weather perspective. As my post above suggests, the coming week is forecast to be reasonably cold and snowy in the Alps, so I would imagine good off-piste conditions would be found. However, will it last? If you've been looking at the Model Output Discussion thread you will see that there is a big question mark over what happens from late next week onwards. There is a strong possibility of a more mobile pattern setting up with the Atlantic influence gaining ground. So I guess the big question for you is, do I risk the Alps or play safe and head for the Rockies? (Presuming your "head west" meant just that). If skiing powder off-piste is a 'must', my decision would be head west. But check out the conditions at the chosen resort as (apparently) some resorts in Utah are actually short of snow!

Posted

Little update - snowing heavily - models look good for more snow widespread over the alps for Sunday/Monday and into next week, particularly Switzerland/Italy doing well this season!

Look out for me with an orange jacket on the side of the piste tomorrow, working piste security for the races!

Posted

Lol wouldn't it be typical if I don't get to go skiing in morzine because snow stops flights from taking off. Would be just typical. Be leaving on 2nd of feb

Posted

Hi Chris,I'm not an off-piste skier so will only comment from a weather perspective. As my post above suggests, the coming week is forecast to be reasonably cold and snowy in the Alps, so I would imagine good off-piste conditions would be found. However, will it last? If you've been looking at the Model Output Discussion thread you will see that there is a big question mark over what happens from late next week onwards. There is a strong possibility of a more mobile pattern setting up with the Atlantic influence gaining ground. So I guess the big question for you is, do I risk the Alps or play safe and head for the Rockies? (Presuming your "head west" meant just that).If skiing powder off-piste is a 'must', my decision would be head west. But check out the conditions at the chosen resort as (apparently) some resorts in Utah are actually short of snow!

Thanks for the input - yes, been watching the model thread daily and as you say a number of possible outcomes.

I was in fact meaning the Western Alps - I normally stick to Austria, but dependant on forecast I would be tempted to head to France this time.

I guess that with leaving it until next week to book it may just be a case of where is available.

Mayrhofen is my usual haunt (and nice cheap packages under £300 can always be found there), so I'm kind of hoping that a shift of the lows east will happen when/if they reach the continent.

Posted

The problem with off piste this season is that the fresh snow is still falling onto an icy base which may not bind properly, as I understand it the common thinking is that unless there was rain high up to effectively start it all again then the problems could be ongoing. I'm no avalanche expert so I'm not sure how true this is likely to be, but I've heard a few people who are very experienced off piste effectively writing this season off as it could be dangerous throughout.

The photo on this post illustrates the problem!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=668513023187436&set=a.229847780387298.55085.143167125722031&type=1&stream_ref=10

• Like 2

The problem with off piste this season is that the fresh snow is still falling onto an icy base which may not bind properly, as I understand it the common thinking is that unless there was rain high up to effectively start it all again then the problems could be ongoing. I'm no avalanche expert so I'm not sure how true this is likely to be, but I've heard a few people who are very experienced off piste effectively writing this season off as it could be dangerous throughout.

The photo on this post illustrates the problem!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=668513023187436&set=a.229847780387298.55085.143167125722031&type=1&stream_ref=10

Hope you don't mind Paul but this link is taken from the Facebook post above.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/10556567/Skiing-off-piste-why-its-too-dangerous-this-season.html

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted

interesting comments re the avalanche issue off piste. Like Paul I am no expert but it was a bit of a surprise walking around the Wengen area this morning. No problems on the ski runs and the off piste skiing but a number of footpaths above the village were closed, due to avalanche risk. That is something I have not seen before. It was certainly colder today with max temps in the village below zero C, after a morning with fairly frequent snow showers with increasing amounts of sunshine between, maybe 6-7cm new powder. oddly also no attempt was made on any run to piste them. More snow expected late Saturday into Sunday, only 5-6cm but maybe double that late Sunday into Monday with temps remaining below zero C.

• Like 2

SNOW NEWS UPDATED 23 JANUARY 2014

Source http://www.snow-forecast.com/overviews/tips_full (From Ski Club GB website)

INTRODUCTION Snow conditions are steadily improving across the Alps with new snow in France, Switzerland, Andorra and Austria this week.

AUSTRIA Our featured resorts enjoyed another week of consistent light snowfall and conditions have continued to improve. Some of the best skiing was on offer at Kuhtai (70/90cm) this week where 20cm of powder fell on Tuesday 21st January. There were sunny skies on Thursday 23rd January with skiers and snowboarders still enjoying the great powder skiing Kaprun (30/120cm) and Zauchensee (65/90cm) both received around 10cm of new snow on Wednesday 22nd January and there were also particularly good conditions at Niederau (35/70cm) and Wildschonau (35/70cm). Both resorts were hit by over 10cm on Wednesday Kitzbuhel (40/95) and Kirchberg (40/95cm) also provided great skiing and snowboarding on Thursday after 10cm of new snow fell the previous day. There were clear skies and bright sunshine on Thursday.

FRANCE There was more fresh snow this week at our featured resorts as the Alps continue to enjoy one of the snowiest periods since October and November Cauterets (110/180cm) was hit by 20cm of fresh powder on Wednesday 22nd January. Although there were overcast skies the following day skiers and boarders enjoyed excellent powder skiing. The Portes du Soleil also received more fresh snow on Thursday 23rd January. Avoriaz (120/190cm) had 5cm overnight and there was heavy snow throughout the day although visibility was restricted. Les Gets (50/150cm) and Chatel (65/155cm) also received light dustings with more in the forecast. There are excellent conditions in the Three Valleys and in Tignes (73/130cm) and Val d'Isere (72/121) at the moment. Light snow across all ski areas at the beginning of the week followed by clear weather means there are great conditions on piste particularly up on the glaciers.

SWITZERLAND Good snowfall at the start of the week means there are excellent on-piste conditions at our featured resorts. Zermatt (60/250cm) has particularly good skiing on offer after 35cm of powder fell on Tuesday 21st January. There are still great conditions on and off piste as a result of the heavy snowfall. There was also decent snowfall on Tuesday at Verbier (35/115cm), Wengen (30/110cm) and Murren (70/115cm) with between 5cm and 10cm falling at each ski area. There are good conditions across all areas of the resorts with more light snow forecast this weekend.

ITALY Ski areas are still enjoying brilliant conditions after heavy snow last weekend and at the start of this week. There are great conditions on and off piste Passo Tonale (90/450cm) had mostly sunny skies this week creating perfect conditions for riders to take advantage of the resort's excellent snow base. Sestriere (90/130) and Sauze d'Oulx (90/130cm) are also offering fantastic conditions, particularly on piste, thanks to recent heavy snowfall. The weather also cleared during the week at La Thuile (60/180cm) and Livigno (115/222cm) where there was bright sunshine above good piste skiing. On Thursday 23rd January cloud cover reappeared at many resorts however, such as Courmayeur (45/120cm), where more snow is in the forecast.

ANDORRA There are great snow conditions at the moment at our featured Andorran resorts after a consistently snowy week in Grandvalira and the Vallnord region. Pas de la Casa (110/180cm) and Soldeu (90/160cm) both enjoyed regular light snowfall this week. There were dustings of between 3cm and 8cm each day with the most recent snowfall arriving on Thursday 23rd January. There are also excellent skiing conditions at Arcalis (100/200cm) and Pal/Arinsal (90/130cm) after light snowfall this week. They also enjoyed fantastic sunshine on Wednesday 22nd January, perfect for making the most of the improved conditions.

GERMANY There was no new snow at our featured resorts this week but they are still enjoying good on-piste conditions after last week's snowy weather. The best conditions can be found at Garmisch (75/145cm) where there is excellent skiing available on piste up on the Zugspitze glacier. The weather was fairly clear and sunny with odd patches of cloud on Thursday 23rd January.

BULGARIA Conditions continue to remain hard packed at our featured resorts at the moment. New snow was forecast for early this week but did not arrive. There is however much-needed heavy snow forecast to fall before the weekend. Pamporovo (50/90cm), Borovets (70/80cm) and Bansko (10/70cm) are all hoping for over 10cm on Friday 24th January which would refresh the firm pistes.

EUROPEAN WEATHER OUTLOOK It should be a snowy end to the month in the Alps with more consistent snowfall predicted for next week. The weekend could be sunny in Austria but next week St Anton and some glacial resorts are expecting close to half a metre of new snow. Snow is set to keep on falling in France throughout next week and will be heaviest around Wednesday. Cauterets is hoping for over a metre with similar levels expected in Switzerland. Although there will be some sunnier days in Swiss resorts, ski areas like Verbier, Gstaad and Les Diablerets are still predicting over half a metre next week. Conditions will continue to improve in Andorra and Italy with light snowfall throughout the next nine days.

Edited by J10

Latest Snow Depths

Upper Lower			   Last 7	  Piste      OffResort Name piste piste  Last snowed    days    Quality    Piste    Lifts OpenAlpe d'Huez 200cm  80cm 17 Jan ( 5cm)   34cm  Excellent   Powder  57 out of 70Tignes	  150cm  73cm 17 Jan (10cm)   40cm  Excellent   Powder  71 out of 79Wengen	  100cm  40cm 17 Jan (15cm)   30cm       Soft   Powder  19 out of 19St Moritz   152cm 122cm 17 Jan ( 6cm)   18cm      Fresh    Fresh  19 out of 22Mayrhofen    60cm   5cm 15 Jan (15cm)   15cm       Good   Varied  25 out of 25

Taken From Ski Club GB website

Upper Lower			   Last 7	  Piste       OffResort Name piste piste  Last snowed    days    Quality      Piste   Lifts OpenAlpe d'Huez 210cm  97cm 24 Jan (20cm)   26cm     Powder     Powder  60 out of 70Tignes	  150cm  82cm 24 Jan (15cm)   28cm  Excellent  Windblown  76 out of 79Wengen	  130cm  50cm 24 Jan (20cm)   25cm     Powder     Powder  18 out of 19St Moritz   162cm 124cm 20 Jan ( 4cm)    4cm  Excellent     Varied  20 out of 22Mayrhofen    65cm   5cm 24 Jan ( 2cm)   12cm      Fresh     Varied  25 out of 25Cervinia    285cm 130cm 20 Jan (20cm)   20cm       Good     Varied  11 out of 14

Fresh Snow across the Alps this week, although better conditions the further west you are, but as the Ski Club of GB report has shown dome Austrian resorts have also done better this week. For completeness I have included an Italian resort this week, if you want a particular report included just mention it in this thread. 

Edited by J10

Synoptics

post-213-0-73821000-1390654549_thumb.gif post-213-0-27219300-1390654510_thumb.gif

Usual GIFs for the week ahead, Click to animate

Left 850HPa Temps       from Sat 25 Jan to Fri 31 Jan)

Right 500HPa Pressure from Sat 25 Jan to Fri 31 Jan)

It must be mentioned that those are from the GFS 06Hz and these charts do not agree with the UKMO model especially.

Synoptic pattern based on above

The big theme of the weather pattern this week remains  a battleground between a very cold air mass under a Scandinavian High and the Atlantic trying to break it down. The Alps is very much in the middle of these two patterns. Which is pretty much a cut and paste from last weeks forecast.

This weekend starts off cold for the Alps with a very cold Easterly feed, with uppers sub -5c for parts of Austria. This tends to get cut off with a westerly winds pushing in for Sunday for most parts.

Into next week, and there are signs for low pressure to dominate the weather patterns over the Alps. The exact location of these low pressure system will make wind direction difficult to determine, more likely to more westerly for the Northern Alps and more likely to be Easterly for Eastern Alps. However at all times, there is likely to be cold air over the Alps for the duration of next week, with uppers [Temps at 850Hpa] below 0c throughout.

850HPa Temps

Western Alps – French Alps, Switzerland, Western half Italy and Germany Eastern Alps – Austria, Eastern half of Italy and Germany

Saturday        [West] +2c  (SW) to -4c (NE)	  [East] -2c (SW) to -9c (NE)	   Sunday		  [West] -2c  (SW) to -5c  (N)	  [East] -2c (SW) to -7c (Far NE)	   Monday          [West] -1c   (S) to -4c  (N)	  [East] -2c  (S) to -4c  (N)	   Tuesday         [West] -3c   (S) to -5c  (N)	  [East] -4c  (S) to -8c  (N)	   Wednesday	   [West] -1c   (E) to -4c (SW)	  [East] -1c  (W) to -7c (SE)	   Thursday	    [West] -1c  (SE) to -3c  (N)	  [East]  0c (SW) to -3c  (N)	   Friday		  [West] -1c   (S) to -3c  (N)	  [East] -1c  (S) to -3c  (N)	   

Precipitation

Low Pressure is tending to dominate over the Alps for this coming week. With an inch of rain in many places, closer to 2 over S/SE Austria, NE Italy.

post-213-0-17796000-1390656261_thumb.gif

post-213-0-33524300-1390657486_thumb.jpg post-213-0-64501100-1390657484_thumb.jpg

So Snow over More Northern parts of the Alps in the next 3 days (left), this risk transfers further south for days 4-6 (right)

Source http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/alps?over=none&symbols=snow&type=snow.next3to6days

Freezing Levels when precipitation is forecast

Saturday mostly dry

Sunday precipitation edging in for Northern areas [southern Germany/ NW Austria] , 600-800m.

Monday precipitation edging in for Northern and Western areas [initially through France/ Switzerland, later East Switzerland/Western Austria], 1200-1600m, but as air gets mixed out later 1000-1200m

Tuesday, Heavy precipitation edges up from the south For Eastern Italy especially and S/SE Austria, 500-800, Only slowly fading away to the east alter in the day.

Wednesday, Precipitation liners in E Austria, dying out later 600m

Thursday, Further precipitation edges up from the south For Eastern Italy especially and S/SE Austria, 1200m-1400m,

Friday Mostly Dry

However given the weather patterns this week, I wouldn't be surprised if there is more general snowfall over the Alps this suggested above. 

Summary

A cold unsettled week over the Alps, with further snowfalls, heavy at times in places.

Edited by J10

Posted

Well the racing is all over, got to watch it all working piste security was great'

Far more snow has fallen than forecast, with only 5-10 forecast at town level (800m) where as there is over 20cm level in the village with well over 30 level at 1500 where I was based today. Hoping for totals to exceed forecasts tomorrow aswell.

Seems temperatures will rise in the alps by the end of the week, but not before some very cold days on Tuesday on Wednesday.

Posted

Happy to report it's been a great start to my week's skiing in La Clusaz in the Haute Savoie. As uksnow reports above, I think the snow amounts have exceeded expectations. Meteo France weren't forecasting much but over the 3 days from Fri 24th to Mon 27th Jan snow fell each day and looks a good 20 cm on higher slopes. (I found the Euro4 model particularly good for predicting snowfall for 48 hours ahead).

After a mildish blip Sunday reaching +4c in the village at 1100m, today is sunny and cold and remaining sub-zero. Both on and off piste conditions are pretty good at the moment - fantastic skiing - but it does look like getting warmer later in the week.

Posted

Grey skies and flat light today in La Clusaz (Wed 29th). Further to my post above and to confirm the forecasts of warmer weather in the Alps later this week, the Meteo France weather bulletins posted at the bottom of lift stations today says the 0 degree isotherm will rise from 1,000 today to 1,500 metres by Friday.

Posted

flat light in Wengen today, yesterday better although a lot of cloud at times. Today 2 lifts closed due high winds with gusts over 50mph above about 6000ft, not nice, so spent the day using my lift pass train riding.

For those out over this weekend, this area is predicted 10 to 30cm above about 3 to 4000ft.

Not a northerly alas, see UK Met Fax chart.

Little sign of any marked change in the weather pattern looking at the NOAA 500 mb anomaly 6 to 14 day outputs from yesterday, valid for the UK as well.

Posted

Heading to Mayrhofen next weekend for a week by myself.  Was due to go on saturday with my brother but he cannot now make it due to an inflammation of his leg condition :( Not the highest of resorts but has access to hintertux if it does get a bit too slushy.

May not be the powder week I was after, but better than nothing.

Posted

Heading to morzine on Sunday for a week but the forcast for later in the week shows rain for that area for thirsday which I am hoping will change

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Heavy snowfall this morning. 50cm expected with this fall. Temperatures remain high for powder conditions. Lots of moisture, again producing substantial snowfall in the Southern Alps. Avalanche risk high this weekend.

C

• Like 2

Latest Update From Ski Club GB website and http://www.snow-forecast.com/overviews/tips_full

SNOW NEWS UPDATED 30 JANUARY 2014

INTRODUCTION There is great skiing on offer across Europe at the moment as a snowy January comes to an end.

AUSTRIA There is good skiing on offer at most of our featured Austrian resorts at the moment thanks to decent levels of new snow falling this week. Many resorts enjoyed powder skiing after heavy snow on Tuesday 28th January. Hintertux (40/245cm) received 20cm while Lech (95/105cm), Fieberbrunn (60/110cm) and Mayrhofen (10/80cm) all had 10cm of new snow Solden (10/233cm) has some of the best skiing at the moment after 13cm of fresh snow fell on Thursday 30th January. The resort also enjoyed new snow early in the week and bright sunny skies on Wednesday 29th January. There is great skiing on piste in the Ski Welt area after very heavy snowfall this weekend. Zell am See (20/108cm) also boasted powder conditions off piste after good snowfall on Monday 27th January and Tuesday.

FRANCE It has been a good week for skiing and snowboarding after heavy snow over the weekend Argentiere (100/190cm) and Chamonix (100/190cm) had sunny skies for most of the week which were perfect for enjoying the new snow. Cauterets (150/220cm) continued to receive new snow at the beginning of the week with 20cm of powder falling on Tuesday 28th January. The best conditions currently can be found in the Southern Alps. After a sunny spell, snow storms reached Isola 2000 (185/255cm) on Wednesday 29th January. 20cm of fresh powder made for great skiing the following day Serre Chevalier (100/205cm) also enjoyed 20cm on Thursday 30th January. Further north there was new snow at Les Deux Alpes (30/160cm) and Alpe d'Huez (103/210cm) this week. Around 15cm fell at each resort between Wednesday night and Thursday morning.

SWITZERLAND Heavy snow to start the week has left excellent conditions at most of our featured resorts, particularly on piste Andermatt (75/400cm) has especially good conditions after 20cm of new snow fell on Thursday 30th January with more falling during the day. There were also light dustings for Pontresina (112/182cm) and St Moritz (111/146cm) with both resorts enjoying around 5cm each on Thursday. Elsewhere, Saas Fee (80/280cm) and Zermatt (55/260cm) continue to provide excellent skiing both on and off piste, with good snow coverage.

ITALY Skiers and snowboarders at our featured resorts have been enjoying good snow coverage and mostly sunny skies this week. However, some resorts received more heavy snow Pila (50/100cm) continues to offer good skiing with a further 15cm of fresh powder landing on Thursday 30th January. There was also 10cm of new snow at Madesimo (250/350cm) and Macugnaga (130/280cm) on Wednesday 29th January. There are also great conditions at Madonna di Campiglio (170/200cm), after 37cm of powder fell at the resort on Tuesday 28th January. Most other resorts were experiencing heavy cloud cover on Thursday and much more snow is in the forecast, particularly at Bormio (80/150cm) and Bardonecchia (140/180cm).

ANDORRA Our featured resorts continue to enjoy regular new snowfalls. There are great conditions on and off piste in both Grandvalira and the Vallnord region. as de la Casa (120/200cm) and Soldeu (90/180cm) provided great skiing all week and received a top up of 10cm on Thursday 30th January. There was also around 8cm of new snow on Thursday at Arcalis (130/230cm) and Pal/Arinsal (110/150cm).

GERMANY All of our featured resorts have greatly improved skiing conditions due the recent wintry weather. For example, the upper piste depth at Garmisch (90/185cm) has increased by 40cm since Friday 24th January. The forecast over this week is for brighter weather mid-week before further snow returns next weekend.

BULGARIA Conditions at our featured resorts have improved significantly after good weekend snowfall and there is now good on-piste skiing on offer Borovets (70/80cm) received a light dusting of 3cm to freshen up the pistes on Tuesday 28th January. All three resorts including Bansko (10/70cm) and Pamporovo (70/110cm) enjoyed the return of sunny skies on Thursday 30th January.

EUROPEAN WEATHER OUTLOOK After a snowy start to the year France is expecting to kick off February with more new snow. Despite some clear days next week Alpe d'Huez and Chamonix are looking forward to around half a metre of new snow. It is a similar story in Switzerland with a snowy weekend ahead followed by some clear weather, before more decent snowfall. Austrian resorts however are expecting less sun with snow falling right through to the end of next week. Hintertux and Kaunertal are predicting around 40cm in the next nine days.

Posted

Large amounts of snow especially in the Italian alps, they always seem to do well with southerly winds.

Taken From Ski Club GB website

Upper Lower			   Last 7	  Piste       OffResort Name piste piste  Last snowed    days    Quality      Piste   Lifts OpenAlpe d'Huez 210cm  97cm 24 Jan (20cm)   26cm     Powder     Powder  60 out of 70Tignes	  150cm  82cm 24 Jan (15cm)   28cm  Excellent  Windblown  76 out of 79Wengen	  130cm  50cm 24 Jan (20cm)   25cm     Powder     Powder  18 out of 19St Moritz   162cm 124cm 20 Jan ( 4cm)    4cm  Excellent     Varied  20 out of 22Mayrhofen    65cm   5cm 24 Jan ( 2cm)   12cm      Fresh     Varied  25 out of 25Cervinia    285cm 130cm 20 Jan (20cm)   20cm       Good     Varied  11 out of 14

Fresh Snow across the Alps this week, although better conditions the further west you are, but as the Ski Club of GB report has shown dome Austrian resorts have also done better this week. For completeness I have included an Italian resort this week, if you want a particular report included just mention it in this thread. 

Latest Snow Depths

Upper Lower			   Last 7	  Piste       OffResort Name piste piste  Last snowed    days    Quality	  Piste   Lifts OpenAlpe d'Huez 205cm 100cm 31 Jan ( 2cm)   62cm      Fresh      Fresh  60 out of 70Tignes	  160cm  89cm 30 Jan ( 2cm)   22cm  Excellent  Excellent  76 out of 79Wengen	  110cm  35cm 27 Jan (15cm)   15cm       Good       Good  18 out of 19St Moritz   176cm 105cm 31 Jan (26cm)   31cm     Powder 	Powder  16 out of 22Mayrhofen    80cm  10cm 28 Jan (10cm)   20cm  Excellent       Good  25 out of 25Cervinia    310cm 140cm 31 Jan ( 5cm)   25cm      Fresh      Fresh  14 out of 14 

A lot of snow over many resorts this week, however some highish temps has meant that snow depths have not gone up as much as would otherwise have been expected.

Edited by J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Heavy snowfall this morning. 50cm expected with this fall. Temperatures remain high for powder conditions. Lots of moisture, again producing substantial snowfall in the Southern Alps. Avalanche risk high this weekend.

C

Digging the car out. 50cm of new snowfall. Looking good for next weeks skiers, thats if they can get up the mountain !post-3489-0-44606500-1391179880_thumb.jp

• Like 3