Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Alps Snow thread Season 2013-14

J10

It seems to have been missed  on this thread but ....

"Updated: 10.30am Friday 27 December 2013 – Record-breaking snowfall for parts of the southern Alps…

Snowfall figures are prone to overstatement, but it would be no exaggeration to say that parts of southern Switzerland and northern Italy are emerging from one of the greatest snow storms ever witnessed in the Alps..." more info from www.weathertoski.co.uk

The heavy snowfall was mentioned above in the Ski Club GB update, but the record breaking nature of it was missed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Large quantities of snow.

The heavy snowfall was mentioned above in the Ski Club GB update, but the record breaking nature of it was missed.

Not sure I trust their updates - eg for here they say we received 30 cm on 25/26 - when we actually got nearer 45cm at 1200m (hand measured at various intervals during the day!) and a lot more higher up the mountain!

That is quite a margin of error.

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/snowreport.aspx?resort=Chatel&swqsResortGo=Go#.Ur_pyIeYbIU

Edited by Chatel Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Not sure I trust their updates - eg for here they say we received 30 cm on 25/26 - when we actually got nearer 45cm at 1200m (hand measured at various intervals during the day!) and a lot more higher up the mountain!

That is quite a margin of error.

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/snowreport.aspx?resort=Chatel&swqsResortGo=Go#.Ur_pyIeYbIU

I have my concerns too but to be fair, given the huge number of resorts they cover, it's a pretty good info service for your average skier. Snowfall totals are an inexact science at the best of times, but the way they are published in Europe (as compared to N.America) is particularly haphazard. Over there, at least it is fairly clear what time frame you are looking at - new snow in 24hrs, new snow in last 7 days. Here, many resorts just give you a rough estimate from the last storm which may mean one day or, if it suits, may mean 2 or more. This is the sort of info the Ski Club have to rely on as there is no culture of consistency and official bodies like Meteo France, SLF a) don't cover all ski resorts and b) don't easily give up their information. One of the few public sources of properly measured snowfall is on the Swiss SLF site but it takes experience (and geekiness!) to read between the lines - i.e work out exactly which figure relates to what resort (if any) and at what altitude etc!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Large quantities of snow.

I have my concerns too but to be fair, given the huge number of resorts they cover, it's a pretty good info service for your average skier. Snowfall totals are an inexact science at the best of times, but the way they are published in Europe (as compared to N.America) is particularly haphazard. Over there, at least it is fairly clear what time frame you are looking at - new snow in 24hrs, new snow in last 7 days. Here, many resorts just give you a rough estimate from the last storm which may mean one day or, if it suits, may mean 2 or more. This is the sort of info the Ski Club have to rely on as there is no culture of consistency and official bodies like Meteo France, SLF a) don't cover all ski resorts and Posted Image don't easily give up their information. One of the few public sources of properly measured snowfall is on the Swiss SLF site but it takes experience (and geekiness!) to read between the lines - i.e work out exactly which figure relates to what resort (if any) and at what altitude etc!

Yep, that's fair comment. Presumably it also makes a difference if they have a member on the ground in a particular resort.

One thing I should also have mentioned is that it is probably better that there is an underestimation of snowfall rather than over - as the one thing I find from reporting from here is that when it come to snow, people suddenly get fishermen's syndrome- 10cm suddenly magically becomes 20cm etc etc

Edited by Chatel Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Big queues at The Grizzly Resort which is linked to Katschberg via 2 high speed lifts. A long 7km run awaits these patient skiers. Glad I am not in the line. Great ski-ing at the moment.

Cpost-3489-0-42942300-1388393414_thumb.jp

Posted

the joys of holiday skiing!

I hope it is as good as this for me in 3 weeks!

http://www.wildx.ch/snow/report.php#showhere

lots of folks enjoying blue skies and good snow

http://panocam.panomax.at/lauberhorn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

the joys of holiday skiing!

I hope it is as good as this for me in 3 weeks!

http://www.wildx.ch/snow/report.php#showhere

lots of folks enjoying blue skies and good snow

http://panocam.panomax.at/lauberhorn

Super pancam shots.  Looks very inviting.

• Like 1

Yep, that's fair comment. Presumably it also makes a difference if they have a member on the ground in a particular resort.

One thing I should also have mentioned is that it is probably better that there is an underestimation of snowfall rather than over - as the one thing I find from reporting from here is that when it come to snow, people suddenly get fishermen's syndrome- 10cm suddenly magically becomes 20cm etc etc

Re the debate on snowfalls etc, that its why I also want on the site reports, as nothing can beat this for local info.

Edited by J10

I'll start by saying how sad the accident with Michael Schumacher was and I wish him a full recovery. However of course there are other accidents in the Alps which result in fatalities and which don't get the press attention,These are equally sad and highlights the dangers of skiing.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/overviews/tips_full (From Ski Club GB)

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/overview/default.aspx

SNOW NEWS UPDATED 2 JANUARY 2014

AUSTRIA There was no new snow to kick off the New Year at our featured resorts but most are still offering good skiing on piste. Most resorts experienced cloudy skies on Thursday 2nd January and St Anton (20/75cm), Lech (55/55cm) and Zurs (55/55cm) were hoping for a light dusting during the day. Other resorts were also expecting much-needed new snow on Thursday with a sunny spell expected to arrive next week.There are still great on-piste conditions at our featured glacial resorts. However in some places, such as Kaunertal (137/174cm) and Pitztal (159/265cm), off-piste areas are becoming slightly worn.

FRANCE The New Year has started with snowy conditions at most of our featured French resorts. In the Three Valleys, Courchevel (68/108cm) and Meribel (50/90cm) woke up to around 10cm of fresh snow on Thursday 2nd January. It was snowy across the ski area throughout the rest of the day. It was also snowing heavily on Thursday in the Portes du Soleil. Avoriaz (100/150cm) was hit by 10cm overnight and more fresh snow fell during the day, although visibility was restricted La Plagne (60/135cm) and Les Arcs (48/107cm) also enjoyed between 5cm and 10cm on Thursday night with snowy conditions during the day. Skiers and snowboarders in Tignes (62/130cm) also enjoyed decent powder after 10cm fell overnight. The new snow has greatly improved conditions at many resorts but warm temperatures mean some rain has also affected the slopes. Many resort level runs are wet and soft with the best snow at higher altitudes.

SWITZERLAND The forecast clouds have moved in, with grey skies above all of our featured resorts on Thursday 2nd January. Light dustings of fresh snow were reported at a few resorts, including Leysin (40/50cm), Anzere (25/90cm), Grimentz (40/100cm) and Zinal (40/100cm).All of our featured resorts are forecast to receive fresh snow over the next few days. The heaviest snowfall is expected at Saas Fee (80/260cm) and Zermatt (75/315cm), which could both receive over 30cm of fresh snow at mid-mountain level by Sunday 5th January. The forecast across the country is for predominantly cloudy weather this weekend before skies brighten a little next week, with only a slight rise in temperature.

ITALY There was light snow at many of our featured resorts overnight on Thursday 2nd January with much more falling during the day Cervinia (80/160cm) provided excellent conditions on Thursday after about 10cm fell overnight. There were some fresh tracks to be had and, although visibility was restricted, fresh snow topped up the pistes throughout the day Bardonecchia (100/150cm) and Madesimo (210/290cm) also received 10cm of fresh snow on Thursday. Many other resorts, including La Thuile (40/100cm) and Passo Tonale (50/300cm) enjoyed light dustings. Heavy cloud cover at most resorts indicates more snow is on the way.

Andorra Our featured resorts all experienced overcast skies on Thursday 2nd January which could bring more snow to the area over the next few days. There has been no new snow since no new snow since Saturday 28th December when there was moderate snowfall in the Vallnord region at Arcalis (90/160cm) and Pal/Arinsal (90/120cm). Conditions are best on piste at both resorts and there is similar skiing on offer in Grandvalira.

GERMANY Conditions are still good at the moment but milder weather has turned lower slopes quite soft. Upper slopes are still good though, particularly at Garmisch (50/135cm), on the Zugspitze Glacier. Fresh snow fell just before New Year so if you choose the upper areas of the mountain then you'll find some great skiing.

BULGARIA Cloud cover returned to our featured  resorts this week after a long sunny spell but there has been no recent new snow Borovets (70/80cm) and Pamporovo (30/70cm) both experienced overcast skies on Thursday 2nd January. Conditions are still hard-packed on piste and patchy off piste due to the lack of recent snowfall.

EUROPEAN WEATHER OUTLOOK The past two weeks have been fairly snowy in the Alps but this looks set to end this weekend, when the forecast becomes much sunnier and warmer again. However Friday 3rd and Saturday 4th January are expected to be snowy across the board, with some resorts receiving more than 30cm of snow on Saturday. Saas Fee and Zermatt in Switzerland are both expecting the most snow this weekend. Next week looks like being a lot warmer and drier on the whole. Temperatures at resort level will climb up to around 5C in Switzerland and France, with freezing levels rising to 2600m by the middle of next week. This sunny weather should give people a chance to enjoy all the recent fresh snow.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I am thinking of booking a last min ski holiday to Nederau, Austria which is medium levelled at 800m - 1400m snow looks slightly patchy at 800m and I was wondering if it is likely to improve for 11th January which is when I plan on going.

Doesn't bother me too much as I can always head higher but friend is a beginner and they are restricted more to lower slopes.

Posted

I am thinking of booking a last min ski holiday to Nederau, Austria which is medium levelled at 800m - 1400m snow looks slightly patchy at 800m and I was wondering if it is likely to improve for 11th January which is when I plan on going.

Doesn't bother me too much as I can always head higher but friend is a beginner and they are restricted more to lower slopes.

http://www.auhof.co.uk/webcam.asp here you are try this

Last Weeks Conditions

Upper Lower			   Last 7      Piste      OffResort Name piste piste  Last snowed    days    Quality    Piste    Lifts OpenAlpe d'Huez 210cm  68cm 26 Dec (40cm)   41cm  Excellent   Powder  55 out of 71Tignes	  130cm  58cm 26 Dec (25cm)   25cm  Excellent   Powder  64 out of 79Wengen	   80cm  40cm 26 Dec (30cm)   30cm     Powder   Powder  19 out of 19St Moritz   132cm  86cm 26 Dec (34cm)   34cm     Powder   Powder  22 out of 22Mayrhofen    60cm   5cm 26 Dec (10cm)   10cm      Fresh    Fresh  25 out of 25

Latest Updates

Upper Lower			   Last 7	  Piste      OffResort Name piste piste  Last snowed    days    Quality    Piste    Lifts OpenAlpe d'Huez 200cm  62cm 03 Jan ( 8cm)   34cm     Powder  Limited  55 out of 71Tignes	  130cm  62cm 02 Jan (12cm)   12cm  	 Good   Varied  73 out of 79Wengen	   75cm  25cm 02 Jan ( 5cm)    5cm       Good   Varied  19 out of 19St Moritz   119cm  75cm 02 Jan ( 6cm)    9cm      Fresh   Varied  22 out of 22Mayrhofen    60cm   5cm 29 Dec (15cm)   15cm       Good   Varied  25 out of 25 

Looking at the above quite a mixed week, further snow at all resorts but some mild tempos has meant overall levels remaining about the same and conditions not generally as good as this time last week.

Edited by J10

Synoptic Pattern

post-213-0-88763000-1388841523_thumb.gif

Shows Height 500Hpa and SLP From Sat 4 Jan to Fri 10 Jan,

post-213-0-09968800-1388841730_thumb.gif

Shows 850HPA Temps and SLP From Sat 4 Jan to Fri 10 Jan, click to animate

We continue with the zonal theme with low heights generally to the north with a very strong Polar Vortex in Eastern Canada/ Greenland and high height to the south, and a very strong Jet Stream. very much a +NAO pattern. No real signs of this changing this week.

Initially for the Alps this means South Westerly winds with some low pressure for this weekend giving some precipitation quite widely for Saturday and Sunday.

However for much of next week (Monday to Wednesday) pressure builds and looking mostly dry for the Alps with mild South Westerlies

For Thursday and Friday, signs of the High Pressure easing away, so an increased risk of some precipitation, moreso at this stage for Friday.

850HPa Temps

Western Alps – French Alps, Switzerland, Western half Italy and Germany   Eastern Alps – Austria, Eastern half of Italy and Germany

Saturday        [West] 0c (S) to +4c (N)		 [East]  1c (S) to +5c (N)	   Sunday		  [West] -2c (NW) to +2c (S)	   [East] -1c (NW) to +6c (Far E)	   Monday          [West] +3c (S) to +9c (N)	    [East] +3c (S) to +8c (NW)	   Tuesday         [West] +3c (S) to +9c (NE)	   [East]  +3c (S) to +9c (NW)	   Wednesday	   [West] +4c (S) to +8c (NE)	   [East] +3c (S) to +8c (NE)	    Thursday	    [West] +3c (S) to +8c (NE)	   [East] +4c (S) to +9c (NW)	   Friday		  [West] +1c (N) to +4c (NW)	   [East] 0c  (N) to +3c (S)	 

With South Westerly winds from the Atlantic, there a real chance of a foehn wind setting up, which could really impact on snow levels.

Precipitation / Snowfall

There is a fair amount of precipitation expected in the 48 hrs from GFS 06Hz today, especially for the Southern and Western Alps, but thereafter for the remainder of the week looking mostly dry.

post-213-0-34512300-1388843265_thumb.gif

Moderate precipitation for Far West and South Alps midday Saturday, continuing through the day and spreading eastwards into the evening.  By Early Sunday further precipitation  for the west and south, dry again in the east, this spreading east during the day, turning dry in the west by morning, and finally clearing the east by late evening. Dry for most of the remainder of the week, and very mild with freezing level generally over 3000m by day. Towards Friday the chance of some further precipitation for northern areas especially.

Freezing Levels when Snow is forecast

Western Alps – French Alps, Switzerland, Western half Italy and Germany			  Eastern Alps – Austria, Eastern half of Italy and  GermanySaturday daytime     [West] 1600m(S) to 2200m-2400m (NE)  [East] 1800m (SW) to 2400m to 2600m (NW)Sunday early morning [West] 1400m(S) to 1800m-2000m (NE)  [East] 1600m (W)  to 2200m to 2400m (E)Sunday daytime       [West] 1000m(W) to 1800m (Far SE)    [East] 1200m (Far NW) to 2200m to 2600m (E)Friday daytime       [West] 1600m(N) to 2000m (S)         [East] 1200m (Far NW) 1600m (N) to 2000m (S)

Outlook

A chance of some snow this weekend mostly reserved for higher resorts/slopes. Turning very mild for much of next week, with the chance of a snow eating foehn wind, but perhaps a bit cooler towards next weekend, with perhaps a bit more snow.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted

Thanks for all the time you put into explaining J10 I guess it doesn't look great I just hope temperatures fall off by 11th of month so they could at least freshen up with cannons if nothing else.

Sods law though that year I'm looking to go back to my old favourite lower resort could be on the poor side. Posted Image  I've been viewing web cam for a few weeks and it looked great but can clearly see it deteriorating at 800m - 1000m last couple of weeks.

I have been skiing 9 times now in total with some trips lasting 2 weeks and never seen a flake of snow at any of the 5 resorts I have visited in Italy, Austria, Swizerland and Bulgaria!

Edited by mullender83

Posted

Thanks for all the time you put into explaining J10 I guess it doesn't look great I just hope temperatures fall off by 11th of month so they could at least freshen up with cannons if nothing else.

Sods law though that year I'm looking to go back to my old favourite lower resort could be on the poor side. Posted Image  I've been viewing web cam for a few weeks and it looked great but can clearly see it deteriorating at 800m - 1000m last couple of weeks.

I have been skiing 9 times now in total with some trips lasting 2 weeks and never seen a flake of snow at any of the 5 resorts I have visited in Italy, Austria, Swizerland and Bulgaria!

you should be due a change on average although perhaps the village is a bit too low for you to see snow. I have been 28 years to Wengen and on only 1 occasion when no snow fell in fact there was no snow even at altitude although the ground was rock hard. Not looking that great now though with snow not looking all that good at the village level. Hopefully it will not wreck the Lauberhorn bottom half.

Posted

you should be due a change on average although perhaps the village is a bit too low for you to see snow. I have been 28 years to Wengen and on only 1 occasion when no snow fell in fact there was no snow even at altitude although the ground was rock hard. Not looking that great now though with snow not looking all that good at the village level. Hopefully it will not wreck the Lauberhorn bottom half.

My worst ski holiday was one to verbier swizerland a few years ago when it poured with rain for 3 days even at the very top. It turned lower and mid slopes to mud and slush. There is time for change I just hope it comes in time for 11 -19th.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Hi mullender83,

I've enjoyed 2 skiing holidays in Niederau, first one 1981 and again in 2006. On both occasions I've been very lucky with great snow conditions. Stayed in the Hotel Staffler. As J10's snow & upcoming weather reports suggest, the situation in the Alps is not ideal at the moment, but tonight's ECM T850 chart (below) for Monday 13th Jan at least offers some hope that early in the week of your holiday some decent cold air may (subject to verifying) be over the Alps. I'm sure some of the more experienced posters will correct me if I'm wrong, but -5 uppers on the T850 charts means it should be approx. -5 C at 1500 metres height. Even if no precipitation falls, should at least mean the snow cannons can operate for much of the night/day and enable enjoyable skiing. Anyway, enjoy your holiday and the wonderful Austrian hospitality.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Any hope for next week yet? Posted Image

Forecast says 5cm for this Friday which would help but that could vanish before then?

I hope you don't mind, but I linked to this as it gives a good summary of the foehn effect.

http://www.weathertoski.co.uk/weather-snow/what-is-the-foehn/

I have also found extremely detailed studies of the foehn effect. but reading them has given me a headache. The following link is a 7Mb PDF download, which goes into detail of Foehn forecasting. largely based on COSMO-2.

http://www.meteoschweiz.admin.ch/web/de/forschung/publikationen/alle_publikationen/veroeff_89.Par.0001.DownloadFile.tmp/veroeff89.pdf

Where is the best forecasting tool out there for Foehn and where would it be available.

Edited by J10

Posted

I hope you don't mind, but I linked to this as it gives a good summary of the foehn effect.

http://www.weathertoski.co.uk/weather-snow/what-is-the-foehn/

I have also found extremely detailed studies of the foehn effect. but reading them has given me a headache. The following link is a 7Mb PDF download, which goes into detail of Foehn forecasting. largely based on COSMO-2.

http://www.meteoschweiz.admin.ch/web/de/forschung/publikationen/alle_publikationen/veroeff_89.Par.0001.DownloadFile.tmp/veroeff89.pdf

Where is the best forecasting tool out there for Foehn and where would it be available.

you can get a good idea of when a foehn is probable by looking at the relevant upper air ascent for the area in question. Obviously this does get extremely complicated for some mountainous areas. I believe there is a relatively simple guide somewhere, I'll try and find it.

If you have a strong flow from a milder area almost at right angles to the mountain chain then you are probably going to get foehn effects on the opposite side of the chain is the most simple way of forecasting it.

not the one I meant but it seems a simple idea to understand with this link

http://www.home-weather-stations-guide.com/chinook-and-foehn-winds.html

another one with examples of how they use data to predict their probability

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mrx/?n=foehnclimo

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 1

Thanks John I understand the basic principles of the Foehn effect, and adiabatic cooling and subsequent warming on the lee side of the mountain.

Can I ask this example so if we have a warm flow from the South West, and a mountain chain running NW to SE, then a foehn is likely.

and as another example with a strong Southerly wind, a mountain chain from W to E is likely to produce a foehn wind on the leeside of the mountain.

So as I understand it different wind direction would create foehn wind for different areas with different topography within the Alps.

Latest Snow Conditions update.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/overviews/tips_full (From Ski Club of GB website)

SNOW NEWS UPDATED 9 JANUARY 2014

INTRODUCTION It feel likes spring at the moment in the Alps with warm temperatures and soft snow in Austria, Switzerland and France.

AUSTRIA There are currently unseasonal, spring-like conditions at most of our featured resorts. Resorts like Ellmau (20/40cm) in the Ski Welt region experienced extremely warm temperatures, for this time of year, of around 11C on

Thursday 9th January. As a result the snow is quite firm in the morning and softens up in the strong sun as the day goes on. Temperatures also exceeded 10C in Kitzbuhel (35/80cm) on Thursday. The best conditions could be found on piste, at higher altitudes, with slushy snow lower down. It was slightly cooler in St Anton (20/80cm) and Lech (55/55cm) and last weekend's good snowfall means there are very good piste conditions at the moment. The best conditions in Austria at the moment however can be found in Obergurgl where there is fantastic skiing on offer across the resort. After a few powder days at the start of the week the off piste is quite tracked but there is still plenty of good terrain to enjoy.

FRANCE There are spring-like conditions at many French resorts at the moment but generally good on-piste conditions thanks to last weekend's heavy snowfall. The Portes du Soleil is experiencing especially warm temperatures for this time of year. Avoriaz (110/180cm) and Les Gets (30/120cm) both saw highs of over 7C on Thursday 9th January. As a result the best conditions can be found on the upper pistes, with slushy conditions lower down. Off-piste conditions are variable at most of our featured resorts due to the warm conditions. Heavy snow off piste at La Plagne (15/145cm) means it is advisable to stick to the pistes, which are providing excellent skiing at higher altitudes. There is also good skiing on well-groomed runs in the Three Valleys, particularly in Val Thorens (100/160cm), which is slightly cooler. The resort enjoyed temperatures around freezing on Thursday with bright sunshine. Light snow is set to return to the French Alps this weekend with plenty more next week when temperatures should fall.

SWITZERLAND Like much of Europe our featured resorts are currently experiencing much warmer conditions than usual for this time of year. Although generally slightly colder than some neighbouring countries, temperatures reached more than 7C at Champery (5/70cm) and Les Mosses (45/55cm) on Thursday 9th January. The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes at both resorts as a result Saas Fee (70/250cm) and Zermatt (50/315cm) are still enjoying good conditions both on and off-piste after good snowfall last weekend. Temperatures around freezing mean the snow is in good condition despite mostly sunny weather this week. There are also particularly good conditions at Murren (66/70cm) and Wengen (25/85cm). Both resorts are providing excellent on-piste skiing with some pockets of fresh powder still available on sheltered north-facing slopes.

ITALY There are cooler conditions  than the rest of Europe at the moment but it is still quite warm for this time of year. Most of our featured resorts are still enjoying the effects of heavy snowfall last weekend despite the warm weather. Madesimo (260/350cm) still has a fantastic snow base and provided excellent on-piste conditions and sunny skies on Thursday 9th January. There is also excellent snow coverage at Passo Tonale (70/400cm) and Val Senales (50/290cm). There is particularly good piste skiing at high altitudes on the glaciers at both resorts. While off-piste conditions are mostly tracked after last weekend's powder more light snow is expected to freshen up Italian ski areas this weekend.

ANDORRA There are good piste conditions at all our featured Andorran resorts at the moment after decent snowfall last weekend. The off piste is tracked and variable in places at Arcalis (100/180cm) and Pal/Arinsal (90/120cm) but there is good snow coverage. It was a warm day at all four resorts, including Pas de la Casa (90/160cm) and Soldeu (90/160cm), on Thursday 9th January. Temperatures reached around 5C and as a result the best piste conditions can be found at higher altitudes.

GERMANY Our featured resorts are all experiencing very warm weather for this time of year creating spring-like conditions. Temperatures rose past 11C on Thursday 9th January at Lenggries (10/37cm), Reit im Winkl (6/50cm) and Spitzingsee (28/47cm). As a result conditions were slushy lower down, particularly in the afternoon, with the best conditions at high altitudes. The best piste conditions could be found at Garmisch (70/135cm) on the Zugspitze Glacier. However, even up high temperatures hovered around 5C and sunny skies softened the snow on Thursday.

BULGARIA There has been no recent new snow at our featured Bulgarian resorts. The best conditions are still at Pamporovo (50/90cm) where there is a decent snow base. The pistes are very hard-packed but great for fast skiing and there was beautiful sunshine at Bansko (10/70cm) and Borovets (70/80cm) on Thursday 9th January.

EUROPEAN WEATHER OUTLOOK Unseasonal warm weather is expected to continue over the weekend in France with temperatures mostly staying above freezing in the Alps. The beginning of next week however will see much colder temperatures and decent snowfall. It is a similar story in Switzerland and some resorts are expecting temperatures close to -10C that means snow fall early next week should leave ski areas in good shape. Andermatt and St Moritz are both expecting over 30cm next week. Austria may have to wait until the end of next week for temperatures to return to normal but Lech, Zurs and St Anton are all looking forward to heavy snow when they do.

• Like 1

Niederau Special

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Niederau/6day/mid

At 1010m

Sat Max Temps 7c Min 0c Some rain showers overnight 1mm

Sun Max Temps 4c Min -1c Dry and Sunny

Mon Max Temps 6c Min 1c Dry and Sunny

Tue Max Temps 5c Min 0c Sun and Showers, some snow

Wed Max Temps 4c Min -1c Sun and Some snow showers

Current Conditions http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/snowreport.aspx?resort=Niederau&swqsResortGo=Go

Snow report
10 Jan 2014 13:30

A dusting of snow has improved the pistes

Snowfall: Last snowed 10 Jan 2014 Fresh snow 5cm

Last 7 days 15cm

Next 9 days 0cm

Depths: Upper piste depth 65cm Lower piste depth 25cm

Snow conditions:

Piste quality Fresh

Resort runs Fresh

Off piste snow Varied

Lifts: Lifts open 38 out of 46

Edited by J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

I'm posting this weather/snow conditions update for the Savoie region of France for info. I ski every year at a small and friendly resort called Val Cenis. The village is at 1450m and skiing up to 2800m. It's the next valley over from Val D'Isere and from a few miles down the valley you can also get a lift into the 3 Valley's circus. The ski company I go with is run by a Brit who used to teach geography here in Suffolk before setting up his company 21 years ago. Now lives in the resort with his family and his young son trains with the French national ski team (but can't decide which country to ski for if he 'makes it').

Interesting that as per our own uncertainty for the upcoming weather next week, the local met office in the Savoie are also struggling with the forecast for beyond Monday 13th Jan. Below, copied from their website:-

Thursday January 9th  UNCERTAIN

This past week has been exceptionally mild and largely sunny, with very little wind to speak of. The resort was full for New Year and now pistes are almost empty. Combine this with pretty good snow conditions and it’s unsurprising that the atmosphere on the slopes is relaxed and people are enjoying themselves.

The snow last weekend has improved off piste conditions considerably and the advanced group has had some adventures in the country, skiing in nice powder at times. Piste skiing has been a real pleasure, with space to cover the full width of slopes, and few skiers to worry about. Again though the mild weather has taken a toll on the south facing side of the valley, and the difference is marked when compared with the snow depth on the north side where our pistes are situated.

The forecast is for sunshine to dominate tomorrow and at the weekend, with a gradual fall in temperature. On Monday some snow is expected as a depression moves through the Savoie, but the situation after this is very uncertain as two weather systems are expected to influence our area, but as yet the meteo office in Bourg St Maurice is not clear as to what will happen.

What is more certain is that next week should again offer some great skiing on uncrowded slopes, so those arriving on Saturday should be looking forward to plenty of time on the slopes and some tired legs at the end of each day after clocking up plenty of miles!

• Like 2