Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn 2013

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Excellent autumn day, crisp & clear. Didn't get above about 8C well inland in the north.  And there was a colourful sunset too, psychedelic coloured cirrus and contrails in the western sky.

• Like 2

Posted

O/T but how low will it go? I think 870mb is the record. 

Currently down to 886mb Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/2013/adt/text/PHAILIN_N-list.txt

I feel like a complete moron having to ask, but what, when, where...? is this forecast?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

News is only news if you have watched it HC, so don't feel like that.

Super Cyclone Phailin , Indian Ocean bearing down on Andhra Pradesh. CAT 5 system.

Thread here - http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78097-very-severe-tropical-cyclone-phailin/

Raw Satellite data shows the central pressure of the system bombing over the last couple of days.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/2013/adt/text/PHAILIN_N-list.txt

Where weather gets deadly serious.

64,000 folks being evacuated at present.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Phailin&src=hash&f=realtime

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Unfortunately these systems always seem to hit in areas where people don't have very much. Fragile housing,  local income reliant on farming and fishing, unable to get out of the storm's path due to lack of transport/money.  Apparently the surrounding area where the storm is currently expected to hit is similar geographically to New Orleans in that it isn't much if any above sea level.   I think this one is going to be a headline maker sadly.

• Like 5

Posted

-3 C air minimum and still -0.6 C at 10Z. Clear blue skies and some fog patches skirting the valley edges. Glorious.

Impressive - lower than I recorded all of last winter! I haven't recorded -3c since February 2012.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

-3 C air minimum and still -0.6 C at 10Z. Clear blue skies and some fog patches skirting the valley edges. Glorious.

I was in north Perth around noon today. Perth was the dividing line, clear blue sky to the north, cloudy to south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Got up to a balmy 13.6 yesterday and down to 1.6 overnight. Crystal clear daybreak once again. More please!

Posted

Can I blame you for my mother panicking too?  I'll send you her address so you can post the mogadon...

Cold dismal greyness has returned here...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

After a clear blue start we have some light cloud here today and a fresh NE breeze. Another air frost last night at -0.8C. 3 terrific days in a row. 

Welcome to NW, AWPosted Image ...You can't be far from Dougie McLean's place?

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

couple of nice satellite pics of the low pressure in the north sea hopefully come winter we will see a few of these features to help drag the cold air off the continent and bring some snow along with them

post-18233-0-25484000-1381679681_thumb.jpost-18233-0-84961000-1381679686_thumb.j

• Like 5

Posted

well the alps certainly looking better from an aerial view after there first snow than the cairngorms did but hopefully it wont be long till we are seeing the hills and mountains around Scotland looking this good

post-18233-0-64330200-1381704431_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted

Dull calm drizzly start to the day but now cloud breaking to bright blue skies currently 8c.

Coming to the end of calving peroid  but this weekend all the problem ones  seemed to come at once with bruised toungues preventing sucking and culminating in a prolapsed uterus(very rare) at one calving so vet and a lot of our time needed to help all these calves get started. The icing on the cake was the calf born to the prolapsed cow also had severely bent front legs which meant we had to hold it up to drink.Hopefully they will straighten with time and some drug help from the vet. Will have to seperate cow and calf to give it its second shot today that the vet left  yesterday. 

Wintering sheep also had to get in on the act with vet treating one of them for pneumonia

Massive consolation yesterday was five minutes spent looking at the bunch of  established  calves all in a circle stretched out in the afternoon sun in a fresh field. Total contentment.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well that was a decent weekend weather wise around here. Not what you'd call warm but dry and quite sunny. This morning though it's grey mucky weather with frequent heavy drizzle. At least the weather's got it the right way around this time i.e. nice at the weekend then yucky once back in work.

Posted

a couple of little questions for fun for everyone to give an answer to on the look forward to winter.

1) what would u like to see in your location total snow depth for lying snow including melt and overall highest depth of lying snow.

2) now what do u think the realistic you will see for both amounts this winter

my answers would be

1) i'd like total lying to be around 6-7 feet with highest depth around 4 feet

2) realistic I think I will see 2 feet of lying snow with max depth of around a foot

just a little fun

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

6-7 feet BUS !!! Where are you going to be staying - Fort SS or Fort Catch ! :)

• Like 4

Posted

6-7 feet BUS !!! Where are you going to be staying - Fort SS or Fort Catch ! Posted Image

that's just what I would like to see lol

we Falkirk people can dream of a large snowfall still lmao

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I wouldn't be too disappointed to see a repeat of Nov/Dec 2010 around here. I have a terrible memory at times but I think that was the period when we seemed to be constantly digging out the driveway and had an impressive load of snow on the roofs that would occasionally 'avalanche' off, making the house shake. We've had other good snowfalls since we moved to Aberdeenshire in 2009, but that one stands out in the memory for it's persistence and sheer accumulation of snow since it stayed cold and there was virtually no melt. Not sure I'm in a hurry to have to replace the guttering again though. Not sure what the highest snow depth was but the kids were digging snow-holes in the piles from the driveways.

One things I haven't really seen for a good few years though are big snowdrifts. I'd like to see a good snowfall combined with strong winds to give us a really good blizzard. Good enough for the village to be cut off due to blocked roads, but not for too long.

• Like 2

Posted

i say Falkirk but I tend to do a little better than in Falkirk as I am more north end on a straight line from the forth so if it sets up right I can do pretty well but it needs to be right

post-18233-0-98232000-1381759667_thumb.gpost-18233-0-53586300-1381759674_thumb.g

excuse the maps being in two bits the best I can find.

i'm where the red dot is so if a streamer sets up I can do pretty good here if the snow gets to my levels like 2010.

last year there was only once it set up right but with pretty crap ppn but I still got a good 2-3 inches.

my hopes are this year I can see this set up with a good and prolonged streamer but the chances of it hitting right is fairly slim.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

6-7 feet BUS !!! Where are you going to be staying - Fort SS or Fort Catch ! Posted Image

6-7 feet. Pfft; that's just a wee aperitif in these parts... 

Leon would batter through that nae bother. Posted Image

• Like 4