Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

Given how relatively cold it has been for the first part of November we may well be heading towards a well below average month, happy days :)

As for the road cone on the statue, they should leave it on there, it's traditional now. At least it's only a road cone on his head, most statues of Tory ex-prime ministers wouldn't be so kindly treated in Glasgow :rofl:

• Like 5
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 1.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Cats hugging the Rayburn tonight so nature backing up the computers.

Dunno if I can fall back on being a city guy for my ignorance of this one. What does this mean?
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire (this lockdown) Freuchie, Fife (normally)
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
  • Location: Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire (this lockdown) Freuchie, Fife (normally)

Given how relatively cold it has been for the first part of November we may well be heading towards a well below average month, happy days Posted Image

As for the road cone on the statue, they should leave it on there, it's traditional now. At least it's only a road cone on his head, most statues of Tory ex-prime ministers wouldn't be so kindly treated in Glasgow Posted Image

If it remains as cold as it has been for the first ten days it'll join 2010 on the list of sub 3C Novembers:

http://www.climate-uk.com/page2.html

We're currently running at around 2.1C below the average, which for the month as a whole is 5C for Scotland. I didn't actually realise we were running quite so low temperature wise because the synoptics haven't been blockbuster but actually it has been an exceptional prolonged cold spell for early November which looks as though it will continue, barring the odd milder day like today.

Posted Image

Long may it continuePosted Image

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
    • Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Dunno if I can fall back on being a city guy for my ignorance of this one. What does this mean?

A Rayburn's an aga - the cats are sitting close to the fire. 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

TRIPOLE trying to set up for winter

post-18233-0-31689100-1384217961_thumb.gpost-18233-0-28394200-1384217968_thumb.gpost-18233-0-63641500-1384217974_thumb.g

Edited by Buriedundersnow
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Nice and clear again this morning.

Couple of 'other' charts that don't normally put in an appearance among the regular ones, both highlighting the trend for blocked Atlantic and falling 850hpa temps.

Meteogram for Aberdeen

post-7292-0-69844600-1384243702_thumb.pn

NAEFS - best verifying of all the ensemble runs, just marginally ahead of GEFS, this at 180 which means it is staying with the trend.

post-7292-0-61806800-1384243703_thumb.pn

Way out in GFS FI there are some mad charts, well there always are, but in particular the modelling of the vortex and it's drop into Europe is insane, worth keeping an eye on.

post-7292-0-80905200-1384243885_thumb.pn

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Lovely looking GFS chart there Lorenzo! Horrible day here, horizontal rain again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

What a beautiful morning, quite fresh and sweet smelling after the nights rain. Suns up now and its blasting through my works window. A little cool this morning at 4 degrees. Charts are looking good for at least a short cold spell later, fingers crossed.

Hi, I am at an early learning stage, can you explain Tripole for me or point me to where I can find out more. Cheers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    I didn't actually realise we were running quite so low temperature wise because the synoptics haven't been blockbuster but actually it has been an exceptional prolonged cold spell for early November which looks as though it will continue, barring the odd milder day like today.

It's probably because it hasn't felt cold, just cool. For this area I'd also say it's been relatively dry and sunny too compared to what you'd normally expect for November. This morning repeats the general theme for the month so far here with a bright sunny morning without a cloud in the sky and only a gentle breeze. There was a slight, patchy frost first thing and at 9am the temperature inland was 3C (around 6C nearer the coast in Dyce).

Hi, I am at an early learning stage, can you explain Tripole for me or point me to where I can find out more. Cheers!

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can provide a more detailed description but basically it's when you have warm water in the northern North Atlantic near Greenland, warm water in the southern North Atlantic towards the equator but a cooler band of water in the central north Atlantic. It's somehow associated with coder than average winters, but why that is is beyond my level of knowledge.

P.S. The multiquote stuff seems to have gone haywire for me this morning...hence the edit.

Edited by Ravelin
    • Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Where's the sun gone? It's turned almost black out, tipping it down, and a whistley wind has popped up from nowhere (currently 8C). Posted Image

• Like 1
    Posted

joe b thinks we are looking good

Joe laminate floori â€@BigJoelaminate floori 23m

Europe-parties over as it turns colder, could deepen into a December to remember. Blocking could pop Hope those turbines are working

What a beautiful morning, quite fresh and sweet smelling after the nights rain. Suns up now and its blasting through my works window. A little cool this morning at 4 degrees. Charts are looking good for at least a short cold spell later, fingers crossed.

note the atlantic in the chart

W = warm

C = cold

TRIPOLE =  warm then cold then warm ( warm south of Greenland, cold mid atlantic and warm tropical atlantic)

Posted Image

its said if this sets up in the atlantic it can mean a cold winter for us here in the UK

SST anomalies can be found here

http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Products/ocean/sst/anomaly/index.html

Edited by Buriedundersnow
    • Like 2
    Posted

joe b also posted this

Joe laminate floori â€@BigJoelaminate floori 49m

Make sure the Turbines are working Europe,cold is coming and become king in December

post-18233-0-81674700-1384263128_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

joe b also posted this

Joe laminate floori â€@BigJoelaminate floori 49m

Make sure the Turbines are working Europe,cold is coming and become king in December

Posted ImageBY3x0nWCQAIBINf.jpg

I must say there is potential (I'd still say it's no more than 30%) of this developing into a longer cold spell which lasts into December. I still feel the overall strength of the upper vortex is going to prevent a full blown December 2009/November 2010 type setup but a period of dry cold from a mid latitude high followed by a northerly/northeasterly reload of the cold is still quite a plausible option.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNSHINE!

Trying it's hardest to snow here, odd wee flakes drifting down.

Edited by mardatha
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Atlantic tripole correlates with negative NAO and improved blocking. On phone so can't chart to illustrate.

Google tripole ssta nao loads of papers come up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

ECM and GFS holding strong for something cold. Sod the technical stuff just cross your fingers, close your eyes and repeat after me "please, please, please, please, please..."

I'll try to contribute something more coherent after I've had my tea, I've been working all day, just in the house and haven't eaten anything since last night :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder any extreme weather

Really keeping my fingers crossed for some if the white stuff next week â¤ï¸â„ï¸

• Like 3
    Posted

Hopefully this autumn scene can be turned into a snowy winter wonderland. (Helix now open in Falkirk, they are some sight)

Posted Image

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/11/giant-kelpies-horse-head-sculptures-tower-over-the-forth-clyde-canal-in-scotland/

Edited by Cheggers
    • Like 8
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Could have swore seen a flake in a squally shower today but as was 7 degrees this was probably a case of bein up all night and suffering hallucinations......thanks for all the kind messages...can't believe 4 days flew past there that I never got near the forum.....good to see some early winter potential in charts....wee man better learn to sleep all night soon so I have some energy left to do some chart watching and forum reading!! Notice a couple of twitter feeds startin to talk of potential cold and possible snow....is anyone else here apart from Lorenzo on twitter?? Much as I love the long posts would be great to see Charts being posted on twitter for a quick short fix... Matthugo is excellent to follow

• Like 6
    Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Hopefully this autumn scene can be turned into a snowy winter wonderland. (Helix now open in Falkirk, they are some sight)

Posted Image

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/11/giant-kelpies-horse-head-sculptures-tower-over-the-forth-clyde-canal-in-scotland/

Aye Cheggers, I've watched these getting built bit by bit as I pass them every day ont the way tae work. (Impressive!)

Down side! Fkn M/way now grinds tae a crawl or halt going to & from work, due tae rubber neckers.

I can see a few accidents happening arround this area (The Skelpies)

They might be covered in Snaw at some point next week?

Big Innes 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Posted Image

Those are fantastic!

Reminds me of a project I had to do in school where we had to suggest a new tourist attraction for the Highlands and I suggested two huge statutes of stags at the entrance to the Highlands, they inceptioned me!

Edited by NorthernRab
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! A calm kinda morning, just waiting for the gales to kick in. Just checked XC weather for next week......white stuff for this airt on Tuesday and Wednesday. We'll see. I'm not going to get overexcited at this early stage. Nothing worse than snow forecast and then we get rain!

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

I love those Kelpies - remember seeing tv news bit showing the guy's workshop and the scale models, only about six foot tall - in oxidised iron, somehow even better… still look at the shiny shiny and feel regretful they didn't keep the rusty rusty, but mebbe give out the wrong message, too reminiscent of Linwood no more, Bathgate no more… btw, may have said this before, but 'Sunshine on Leith', the film - go see it. Bawl your eyes out. Laugh your socks off. Sing your heart out. It's not a bad wee country, ours...Weather! (Oooh, on-topic?!) It's a streaky red sky this morning and blowing a fair bit round and about. Nippy, too. You can tell I've no weather station to hand, can't you? XC reckons on 7 degrees and a 15mph WSWerly at present. 

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Ha I'm on twitter Edo but I don't EVER post charts lol! What's Lorenzo's twitter?

BMW I second "Sunshine..." went to see it opening week with the girlfriends - we were all singing along at the end!

XC only shows one flake for here on tuesday during the day at the moment - still not really expecting anything here to be honest at this stage. 

• Like 2