Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn 2013

lorenzo

Posted

The coldest temperature since April 6th with a low of -3C and the first proper crisp, sparkling, frosty morning of the autumn. Another day with the maximum in single figures and more glorious November sunshine and chilly clear blue skies. The sun has now gone below the horizon and the twilight sky has a cold, sharp quality of pale light blue. Now 5C and another cold evening and night to come but a front should arrive from the west during the early hours - snow falling to relatively low levels of 200m. A fairly typical start to November - quite similar to this time last year - but nonetheless it is pleasing to have this after a somewhat extended summer so far this autumn.

• Like 2

Posted

All local roads have been gritted tonight and it is currently starry and 1c.

Old school friend who is an agri rep was telling me tonight that council road boys up Speyside have been told to ready themselves for sustained and heavy snow from mid November. Wonder where they get their forecasts from but they are at a higher level.

Lifted a few neeps this afternoon which was a practice session for young Mr. Northernlights having never driven the neep lifter before but tops still very green and choking the lifter.  Was saying to everyone we need a  -4c frost to kill off the tops and make them easier to lift.  Maybe tonight? 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Absolutely baltic oot there.On the way back from the hospital,car temp gauge shows down to -2c around the Clydebank area.

So good to see some more traditional late season weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Kilties! What an absolute brammer o' a day....crystal clear skies and temp got down to 0.6 overnight! BRING ON THE WINTER! Oh, and my weather station is currently showing the snow icon. Na, mair like rain later I think!

Posted

Frosty morning here in NE Fife. Not quite an air frost in Crail (currently +1.6c) but the car will need scraped. -3c at Leuchars.

Posted

All local roads have been gritted tonight and it is currently starry and 1c.

Old school friend who is an agri rep was telling me tonight that council road boys up Speyside have been told to ready themselves for sustained and heavy snow from mid November. Wonder where they get their forecasts from but they are at a higher level.

Lifted a few neeps this afternoon which was a practice session for young Mr. Northernlights having never driven the neep lifter before but tops still very green and choking the lifter.  Was saying to everyone we need a  -4c frost to kill off the tops and make them easier to lift.  Maybe tonight? 

-2c this morning so neep tops fairly droopy today should make for easier lifting next time we  go for them.First proper air frost of the autumn with blue sky start to the day

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Morning all -4C here, sunny and frosty. Brrrr Posted Image

Have some sleety symbol action on my app, but we shall see later. I think my folks in Kingussie will have a good chance of seeing something white today. 

• Like 1

Posted

Frosty here again as well, shame the front has frazzled otherwise may have seen a few flakes of snow!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning all. A beautiful one it is too!  Currently -0.6c here after a low of -1.7c overnight.  Calm. Felt very seasonal when I let the dog out as everything was white with frost and a huge flock of geese flying overhead.

Reading the model thread, there doesn't appear to be anything of real interest in the outlook? However, it is still very early, and I am a great believer in the longer it holds off?............

post-1989-0-34513800-1383642729.txt

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Morning all, I got a external thermometer for my birthday, just in time for the first frost in E.Lothian

-0.6C my min. last night, all white and sparkly, currently 2.5C, a cold cycle this morning

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Couldn't locate my usual update of approaching winter thoughts from Kasim as his website appears to be down at the moment. However, have posted the one below, which is also a good read and informative. It is almost a month old now though, but will post the update when it appears later this month.  Looks like things will kick off in January. (so did '47!)

Hmmm.....link not working, will try to fix.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Continuing the cold theme it was -2C in Kemnay and a warm 1C in Dyce around 9am this morning. Mixed overhead with blue sky and sun, but also some shower clouds. Only seen light rain from the showers so far unfortunately but they have been over Dyce rather than the colder inland areas. Forecast has changed from yesterday and suggests any real rain will be too late in the day now to fall as sleet/snow. Posted Image

Posted

Yep was fully expecting the rain/snow/sleet/possible ice whatever it was going to be here by now but still quite bright although cloud pushing in slow now. Still cold too.

Posted

The summit of Cairn Gorm registered -7.3C at 7am.  It's now soared up a couple of degrees:

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/city?3&TIME=std&LANG=en&WMO=03065&ART=temperatur&LEVEL=140

Another frosty morning in Lanarkshire. 1 degrees C on the car thermometer just before 9am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Yesterday it was the crystal clear skies, today it is the hazy sunshine through the low Autumn fog.

Lovely crisp morning and also enjoyed scraping the car !

Enjoy fireworks night.

Got to love Scotland...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSJ5PgUx0Zg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

A min of 2.0ºC overnight & the weather station showing the snaw symbol for the first time this season. Woohoo!

Currently, a cold & foggy morning here and looking a bit more seasonal for the fireworks tonight. 

Edited by Polar Gael

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Radar showing precipitation turning to sleet/slow with elevation. 300m+ ? Us folk from south or the border are enjoying webcam images of the hills/mountains in white :)

post-15543-0-14662100-1383650414_thumb.j

post-15543-0-31017700-1383650569_thumb.j

Edited by Mark N

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Down to 1C, enough for about half an inch of frozen topsoil. I know cos I'm digging the stuff!! Posted Image Mr Sweaty at the ready...

Precipitype not working on NW radar as it shows all as rain??

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

It has been a very crisp white frosty start with sun shining this morning, now more white cloud cover. Lovely day though.

Chickens had porridge for breakfast and are now feasting on the borage in the garden lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

It looks like they [CML] might open this weekend. Edit. Oops meant to quote Ravelins post above.

Here it has now clouded over. 2.5C.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Ah well, the sun didn't stay around for long. Rain on and off all morning and afternoon. But it is just a tad on the Baltic side. As for snow, well, metcheck is quickly changing it's mind. They forecast snow here for Wed/Thursday, now it's been downgraded to sleet. No surprise really.