Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn 2013

lorenzo

Posted

Beautiful day here in NE Fife. Bright sunshine and +4c air/-4c dew.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

BUS said he was going to take a drive to find his first snow. Wonder where he will end up !!

i think i'll wait till its a bit closer to home cant afford the petrol to go up north to find snow lol

Posted

Hey folks hope u all had a good summer! But winters back again....yaaaasss!

Anyone seen the charts from lunchtimes run? On tablet and its not letting me see em!

Cheers

• Like 2

Posted

Not looked at charts yet. I would suggest checking the model thread but having just been in there I won't suggest that. Fell over a lot of toys on my way in and out.

• Like 2

Posted

Hey folks hope u all had a good summer! But winters back again....yaaaasss!Anyone seen the charts from lunchtimes run? On tablet and its not letting me see em!Cheers

theres nothing special in the models today there is some problems finding out exactly what the high pressure is going to do with a few small downgrades today but it is not all lost yet there is a whole lot to be worked out over the next few days model wise most importantly the models are having trouble modelling an extratropical system in the atlantic moving north and as we know these type of things can be a nightmare sometimes but the ECM seems to be modelling it best for us and they tend to have the best model for forecasting any storms of tropical characteristics so I would lean towards this just now.

the other notable thing is by day ten the ECM strat forecast is having a little issue with the lobe of PV over Canada and how close it is going to sit to Greenland but again at ten days out this may change.

its all about watching closely for the next few days till these get worked out a bit better and we see where we stand from there on in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Not looked at charts yet. I would suggest checking the model thread but having just been in there I won't suggest that. Fell over a lot of toys on my way in and out.

They really are going overboard and there are some real fools in there at times. All boom or bust and never a middle ground. It's only November and winter has been written off by some since we're looking at a cool settled period, possibly followed by Ian F's return to temps closer to average by mid-Dec. The fact that average by mid-Dec is probably cooler than temps are currently seems to elude some people, same as a sinking of the high doesn't mean no chance of another cold spell at some point afterwards. Even if all the models, every single one, even the minor unrated ones, came up with the same solution at T+240, there's still no guarantee that at T0 it'd actually be what was forecast.

If they are that desperate for cold and snow then send them all to study penguins in Antarctica! 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I couldn't resist having a look..

post-1989-0-94910600-1384874004_thumb.jp

Gawd..it's going to be a long week!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Wahey, managed to breath some life into my dead weather station (battery leakage cleaned).

0.6 °C / DP = -2.8 °C

Clear and crisp. light breeze.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonally appropriate. Snow - not greedy - good above 1,500' fine
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.

Is it time to wake up again?  Gone south from Stirling - joys of the being the mobile flexable workforce - but I can still see Scotland from here.  The view is good and snowy over on the hills from Wigton Bay up and through the Galloway forest.  Further east Criffel is bare and out west the Isle of Man looked white so I'm assuming it was on the same track as the Galloway snow.  Havent braved the model forum yet or the quest for Cheshire low snow that is the NW thread.  Thought I'd start easy - wasn't it a cracking summer, think I got one of the best 12 months weather for a while.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

To save you getting dummies, teddies, alphabet bricks, moshi monsters etc etc off the head.

Great post from Fergie on the mid term outlook - it would seem some people are misunderstanding the word Mild.

• Like 4

Posted

A beautiful winter's day with a maximum of 4C although I suspect with incoming low pressure the temperature will rise above 5C by midnight. Down to 1C but thin, pale grey/blue cloud is starting to roll in. Good to see parts of Aberdeenshire got some snow last night - it looks like some woke up to a nice wintry scene this morning :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

but I can still see Scotland from here. 

Waves.

(I can see the Cheviots looking south down the valley - often have a nice white cap in the winter).

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

another video coming later for your viewing pleasures.

will just leave you guessing as to what it might be.

PS: I also have a plan for something that we can all be a part of and would be a great thing to have in the future to display in here but I will go into more detail later as I am busy doing this next video.

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 1

Posted

here is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LolCaBS1uwA

I will tell you about the other thing soon I need fed first

• Like 5

Posted

right now to tell u all my plan.

I am going to make up a e-mail account and post it periodically in here and I would like you all to send me your snow pics with them dated as to when they happened I will ask for certain years as will do one year at a time.

I will then spend some time crawling through them all and add captions as to where and when and who's pic it is and try and make up some kind of video for each year giving a run through of the snow adventures of that year.

a sort of snow journey around Scotland from all the members of the kilted thread.

then hopefully we can have these to look back on in future winters.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Nice work again BUS, you should link the you tube vids in your signature, that way regardless of where the thread is folks will be able to find them..

• Like 1

Posted

Heavy snow falling on the altnafeadth cams, looks like rain or sleet at Tyndrum though? Meto regional forecasts mention a chance of snow to low levels in the east. Hopefully will manage to see some snow here as a wee bonus!

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Posted Image

That was the radar from 2 hours ago but looks as if the rain is turning to sleet and snow inland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Temps have gone up to 1.7c here and dew points now -1.4c. That front will need to get a move on if we are to see a few flakes before it turns to rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny

Matt Taylor just said there could be some snow to low levels across southern Scotland as the front moves in.

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like there is now snow on the Tyndrum cams which is a good sign! A lot of the traffic cams now showing snow Posted Image

Temp 0.9c

Dew -1c here...

I can now report light snow for the first time this season :D :D :D

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Heavy snow falling on the altnafeadth cams, looks like rain or sleet at Tyndrum though? Meto regional forecasts mention a chance of snow to low levels in the east. Hopefully will manage to see some snow here as a wee bonus!

Defo snow now at Tyndrum and as far down as Glenogle. Hard to tell what will happen though as it moves SE To lower ground.Looks like calming down after tomorrow then the high slowly sinking. If it does I hope it doesn't, hang around to our South East! Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted

Defo snow now at Tyndrum and as far down as Glenogle. Hard to tell what will happen though as it moves SE To lower ground.Looks like calming down after tomorrow then the high slowly sinking. If it does I hope it doesn't, hang around to our South East!

Yeah, there has been snow here but it looks like it's quite wet on landing so not sure if those at lower altitude will get much.