Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn 2013

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

And after 3... It's snowing , this is the one time I thank Facebook and blame breaking bad.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Snow on the ground here too 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Snawin in East KIlbride ;)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

better late than never heres a wee thing on a few winters 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1k4xNt4aDk&feature=youtube_gdata

NIce work BUS, enjoyed that, the 62-63 reel of charts still bakes my brain !!! Unreal !

long term lurker here....just to report its snowing fairly steady in Paisley at the mo....roll on winter or is it still autumn lol Posted Image

Welcome along Shanta, thanks for joining in - you can't go much better than hitting up the snow in your first post !!

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

long term lurker here....just to report its snowing fairly steady in Paisley at the mo....roll on winter or is it still autumn lol Posted Image

welcome to the madhouse.

• Like 1

Posted

NIce work BUS, enjoyed that, the 62-63 reel of charts still bakes my brain !!! Unreal !

i'll try do some more to put up once I do a bit more digging about for pretty cold spells.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder any extreme weather

Rain here 7 miles east of Glasgow 😭

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Kin unreal - wet ground, dripping everywhere, typical really. Except we rarely even get rain in summer from this direction.

*stomps off in a huff...*

Just been out to cattle in steading and we have our first dusting of autumn 2013 snow. Posted Image20131118_22412420131118_01.JPG Currently -0.5c

Sheesh, NL, shame on you posting clickbait like that lol...

• Like 4

Posted

Coming from 300m+ up in the Peak District, it's normally everyone else getting rain and me getting snow rather than the other way round! Sometimes I hate sea level and the city centre...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

better late than never heres a wee thing on a few winters 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1k4xNt4aDk&feature=youtube_gdata

Well done BUS that was very interesting viewing. The one thing I noticed, when seeing all the winter charts one after the other, was that there wasn't that many Greenland high bad winters until you got to 2009? A few yes but predominantly either Arctic, Scandy or in the case of 1984, Russian high.  In most cases however, (the really notable ones) the vortex appeared very powerful. Quite an eye opener. I would say now that it obviously doesn't have to be GOB!Posted Image Thanks for that.

• Like 2

Posted

wee question what is SACRA in your signature its been annoying me I cant work it out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Coming from 300m+ up in the Peak District, it's normally everyone else getting rain and me getting snow rather than the other way round! Sometimes I hate sea level and the city centre...

In a day after tomorrow scenario, it would still just be rain in Glasgow. Would be a refuge in a glacial apocalyptic world.

Mrs SS, as we used to pass through on the way to ‘Glasgow’ (ahem) Prestwick to get Ryanair to Beauvais, genuinely asked me ‘Why does eet always rain een Glasgow?’

Below zero here. All I can say. Weather station has gone to that happy place in the clouds. Mrs SS content as my B-day present sorted for early December. Head out the window and wet finger in the wind until then.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

wee question what is SACRA in your signature its been annoying me I cant work it out

Snow And Cold Rampers' Association or something like that. Before my time too.

In a day after tomorrow scenario, it would still just be rain in Glasgow. Would be a refuge in a glacial apocalyptic world.

Mrs SS, as we used to pass through on the way to ‘Glasgow’ (ahem) Prestwick to get Ryanair to Bordeaux, genuinely asked me ‘Why does eet always rain een Glasgow?’

Below zero here. All I can say. Weather station has gone to that happy place in the clouds. Mrs SS content as my B-day present sorted for early December. Head out the window and wet finger in the wind until then.

Yours fill up with algae and verdigris too then?

• Like 2

Posted

Ah well....You will be able to say you are a fully fledged member of Netweather once you join! Sacra stands for 'SNOW AND COLD RAMPERS ASSOCIATION' but only those dedicated to snow and cold can join! There is even a thread on here dedicated to it. Basically a banter thread with pics and jokes all referring to winter.   You should have a read through as it is quite funny. Look up Snowqueen1 and she will give you a member number. There is an opposite thread for the warmies but I can't remember what it's called. I think LS will be able to tell you though.  Actually, I can't remember the section they are in, he might be able to tell me that too!

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

Ah well....You will be able to say you are a fully fledged member of Netweather once you join! Sacra stands for 'SNOW AND COLD RAMPERS ASSOCIATION' but only those dedicated to snow and cold can join! There is even a thread on here dedicated to it. Basically a banter thread with pics and jokes all referring to winter.   You should have a read through as it is quite funny. Look up Snowqueen1 and she will give you a member number. There is an opposite thread for the warmies but I can't remember what it's called. I think LS will be able to tell you though.  Actually, I can't remember the section they are in, he might be able to tell me that too!

cheers I will go have a wee look later on when everything goes quiet for the night Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Great stuff BUS....Rudolph wept :)

62/63 is ridiculous........those charts raise the bar for all other charts :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I've been trying to find the netweather groups bit but with no success so far. I'm a SACRA member, it basically means you're obliged to post something like this:

Posted Image

every once in a while. It was better back in the day when the MT was a lighthearted place filled with rampers with low expectations instead of now when every second run is a TOORP on there. Mind you, maybe I'm being a bit nostalgic in my old agePosted Image  Remember the great Ian Brown/everyone else stand off in the run up to December 2009? Utterly brilliant showdowns, the drama does keep you entertained right enough, same with the SMvIB (and actually GP+Chiono v SM+IB) stuff last winter.

Anyway, good to see that some people saw their first snow of the season but a bit annoyed that the NMM lead us up the garden path like that. I'll need to make a note of that for future reference - 'likes to tease east coasters during northwesterlies with fantasy snow.'

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 5

Posted

I am just happy that the cold appears to be setting in LS! Who knows, perhaps next week will be colder. Plenty of time though. Every winter, be it cold or mild, always has a story to tell!Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Well done BUS that was very interesting viewing. The one thing I noticed, when seeing all the winter charts one after the other, was that there wasn't that many Greenland high bad winters until you got to 2009? A few yes but predominantly either Arctic, Scandy or in the case of 1984, Russian high.  In most cases however, (the really notable ones) the vortex appeared very powerful. Quite an eye opener. I would say now that it obviously doesn't have to be GOB!Posted Image Thanks for that.

I wanted to add to what you had said about Greenland highs and I think this may be one of the main facts we might see coming from this period of low solar that it opens up Greenland fully as like in the great video NORTHERNLIGHTS posted further back in the thread showed that during periods of solar activity we have a tendency for heights to build to our northwest also earlier in the year while looking in the start thread there was a link to an American forum and I picked up on a post in there where the guy mentioned that since 2007 the polar vortex has seemed to take up a new home over toward Siberia also it is said we suffer the worst cold in these periods as well.

so from all I have seen and read about the things that have been happening since the sun went quiet I think the main mechanism change we are seeing happen is this causing the polar vortex to move home which in turn allows us the get the HOLY GRAIL more often than in other periods which would open the floodgates more often over us which is why we are the one part of the world that feels the most affects during low solar events.

i may be wrong but that's how i'm looking on it just now till i see what other stuff comes along in time.

• Like 1

Posted

I am absolutely delighted to have seen some snow today - November snow is a good acolade to begin the season but to have it before the 20th is amazing. This wintry and cold weather has put 2013 amongst 2005, 2008 and 2010 and after the cold start and with further cold weather to come this month is looking like a notably chilly one to look back on. Hopefully some anticyclonic weather will continue the cold theme and it would be even better if this leads to something more special. Some really wintry scenes on the traffic cams and the radar shows a feature to the far north bringing plenty of snow. It will be interesting to see what this does overnight. 

• Like 5

Posted

Living in an old farmhouse a strong wind usually rattles everything but just been woken up by what I always describe as a muffled wind so I knew before I looked out that heavy blowing snow was falling , I was correct. Currently -1c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

No snow here in a very frosty and chilly perth.....first hat and scarf day of the season I think

• Like 4