Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn 2013

lorenzo

Posted

alright Ally welcome back.....I think thats just about everybody reported for duty........ although am still missing burntfishtroosers..... 

nice new profile pic in respect to OTR Posted Image

Oh trust me he is lurking. Posted Image

I wonder what top end of M74 will be like on way back from Liverpool tomorrow night?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Came out of the model thread just now as Steve Murr has said that the 18z is all wrong anyway.  The weird thing is that he's probably right.   It simply amazes me how he can out- think the models! Wish I had that talent. I have a hard enough job finding the Eastern Seaboard! Posted Image  I think he is onto something and expects an outcome more like this evening's ECM.  If that did indeed turn out to be the case, then you better get the LJs looked out HC! Week after next would be enough to freeze your squirrel food off! Posted Image

Edit: Hey SL2 - back for the annual punishment I see!

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Came out of the model thread just now as Steve Murr has said that the 18z is all wrong anyway.  The weird thing is that he's probably right.   It simply amazes me how he can out- think the models! Wish I had that talent. I have a hard enough job finding the Eastern Seaboard! Posted Image  I think he is onto something and expects an outcome more like this evening's ECM.  If that did indeed turn out to be the case, then you better get the LJs looked out HC! Week after next would be enough to freeze your squirrel food off! Posted Image

Edit: Hey SL2 - back for the annual punishment I see!

"amazes me how he can out- think the models"

Hi Blitzy,

SM did an excellent post earlier today in the MT, worth a read for everyone me thinksPosted Image

Big Innes

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

ECM is keen on some hefty GOB Posted Image

This is 00z but it's not much different on the 12z from today:

Posted Image17th Nov ECM GFS 8 10 Day Mean 00z.gif

Don't read too much into it but cross-polar heights...the polar vortex is getting squeezed on the ECM.

it does still look like we are in a GOB situation with that high pressure out to the east in russia so its GOB to get some really cold air in for me.

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

"amazes me how he can out- think the models"

Hi Blitzy,

SM did an excellent post earlier today in the MT, worth a read for everyone me thinksPosted Image

Big Innes

Evening BI. Yes, I saw it.  Certainly knows his stuff.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Don't read too much into it but cross-polar heights...the polar vortex is getting squeezed on the ECM.

would hefty GOB not be

GOBPosted Image 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I wish I could have a beer or two.

Perhaps you should just go for it in style... special brew / diamond white snakebites do the trick.

2nd thoughts DON'T - we need your analysis here! WTF is GOB tho?

Ok, Lorenzo, should I / could I start a poll on whether to split this thread into two?  I can't be alone in struggling to keep up with stuff when it gets busy.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Edo are you weather station equipped for those all important Luncarty dew points?

ummmmmm sadly no...... my weather station budget got vired to changing my vehicle to a 7 seater following our surprise earlier this year.....even i found it hard to put up a case for the need to know luncarty dew points above transporting the family.... I am coming into a bit of disposable income in December so hopefully get a modest weather station at that point

• Like 2

Posted

ummmmmm sadly no...... my weather station budget got vired to changing my vehicle to a 7 seater following our surprise earlier this year.....even i found it hard to put up a case for the need to know luncarty dew points above transporting the family.... I am coming into a bit of disposable income in December so hopefully get a modest weather station at that point

You planning another??

• Like 1

Posted

Perhaps you should just go for it in style... special brew / diamond white snakebites do the trick.

Ok, Lorenzo, should I / could I start a poll on whether to split this thread into two?  I can't be alone in struggling to keep up with stuff when it gets busy.

I get what you are saying but I kinda like the one stop shop..... i guess you could have a scoish model thread but would just mean flicking between threads so pros and cons

• Like 1

Posted

I get what you are saying but I kinda like the one stop shop..... i guess you could have a scoish model thread but would just mean flicking between threads so pros and cons

Yeah... I use a laptop mainly so can have a browser with more than 1 tab open but I'm guessing some folk will be using tablets which may be different - guessing here, is that so?

Posted

You planning another??

lol most certainly fu**ing no!!! then again i didnt plan the last 2......long story :) 

anyway the only 6 seater i know of is this so u can see why i went for 7 Posted Image......although the wife does joke we still have a spare seat 

• Like 2

Posted

cant even have any drink the now as on medication

GOB was coined by CATCH the other day cos I said Greenland or bust.

• Like 1

Posted

Yeah... I use a laptop mainly so can have a browser with more than 1 tab open but I'm guessing some folk will be using tablets which may be different - guessing here, is that so?

you can have multiple tabs on a tablet aswell......I would happily embrace a model regional thread but i guess just more work for guys to moderate.....maybe we would all start toorping :)

• Like 1

Posted

im chuckling away here and the wife most keen to know what at..............best not tell her.......actually why is she still up.......oh no she must want ******

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Not sure what would be the benefit of 2 regional threads, HC? Think it may dilute this thread a little as a point of reference? 

LS - fantastic post ! 

• Like 2

Posted

Not sure what would be the benefit of 2 regional threads, HC? Think it may dilute this thread a little as a point of reference? 

LS - fantastic post ! 

Well I may be in a minority here, but sometimes I come here for info - the model-related posts from you, BUS, LS and others - and other times for the craic, and when the posts are coming thick & fast, it can be hard to follow stuff, and I don't want to skip through (and likely ignore) several hours of posts, just to find one model-related post. Aah prob best to see how it work for this winter. 

Posted

if you look at the last 2 of those charts the ECM wants to make the trough over Canada try and undercut the high pressure in the atlantic forcing it north into Greenland while continuing to drop the other trough south into the Europe and the other bonus of sliding the high over Russia further east.

looking pretty impressive lets just hope the ECM is on to something and is correct of course.

post-18233-0-77933400-1384736223_thumb.gpost-18233-0-79777200-1384736236_thumb.g

Posted

Morning. 3.4c here with a slight breeze from the west and no frost. Another good ECM apparently but GFS still lost in the fog. UKMO good till 120 then differs at 144. Hopefully GFS will find its way but it niggles me that it continues to differ. Remember last year, ala THAT ECMGFS was out on its own and proved to be right eventually. Another day of ups and downs no doubt however, our short cold spell is ( naileded) whatever the outcome.

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Having a read of the strat thread it does appear that my 'strong vortex for December' forecast is going to be tested to the absolute limit with wave 2 activity still showing up strongly on the ECM this morning, encouraging a split of the stratospheric vortex. Whether it can succeed in producing an SSW(that'd probably be early December at the very earliest I'd imagine, if not mid-late December if the first lot of wave breaking doesn't do it) is interesting, but either way there's still likely to be a fair amount of disruption to the shape and eventually the strength of the upper vortex in the next few weeks which could have a major effect at the surface in time. Meanwhile the ECM op has come out with its second consecutive run showing a Greenland high and -5C uppers are currently making their way towards Na h-Eileanan Iar - an unexpectedly dramatic start to the 13/14 netweather season.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

As someone who is still on a really steep learning curve re weather understanding, have to say I probably would never have felt comfortable enough to start asking questions about weather if there hadn't been the mixture of banter and science (and cat models) to make me feel I sort of got to know people… â€¦so I like the single-thread mixture, even if it means I have to scroll through a lot. 

• Like 7