Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn 2013

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Don't do it without wearing a crash helmet to protect you from the flying toys! One less than impressive GFS run and the Samaritans will be having to double up the staff on call tonight. Can't even wait until the run is complete before some are proclaiming doom and gloom. You get the distinct impression that those quickest to moan about a possible downgrade in snow potential (remembering it's still NOVEMBER) would be the first to moan that it's too cold & snowy if one of the 'eyecandy' charts of recent FI runs did verify. Highly amusing really.

How right you were Ravelin! My God they are suicidal in there. Far too quick to make assumptions that the run is a  downgrade and it's all over! Actually, it is probably just a wobble as so far it isn't tying in with the latest on screen BBC forecasts. I could understand the frustrations if it was the 15th December and not the 15th November!Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Didnae miss it this time.

Was up at Dalnahatnich and the sun started to set. Wild place (especially today with it blawin a hoolie) which I love and incidentally, where a famous clan member used to live (http://heraldry.celticradio.net/search.php?id=119).

Best was just as we pulled back into the drive at the house. Stunning.

post-9421-0-78418900-1384535401_thumb.jp

post-9421-0-12143900-1384535420_thumb.jp

post-9421-0-10007100-1384535441_thumb.jp

• Like 7

Posted

MWIS medium-term outlook is currently going with:

"Very cold from Monday, extremely so (for November) mid-week. Snow widespread, especially northern mountains, and to low level mid-week.

There is a strong signal in forecast models from all the main centres of cold conditions through to the end of the month.

There will be further snowfall on many mountain areas."

I think that constitutes a ramp by the cautious, sober standards of the MWIS.Posted Image

Not quite in the same league as Scotster's trip to Torridon, but I had a wander in the Ben Lawers neck of the woods last Saturday and it was looking pretty wintry.

(For those who are interested, the main sunlit peak is An Stuc, rather than Ben Lawers itself).

Posted Image

Edited by spindrift1980
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Aye-aye everyone... familiar faces everywhere...good to see y'all Posted Image

Just strapping myself in for the next few months of "when will it", "why won't it", "why hasn't it" ! 

Looks like the speculation game is already well under way for the coming weeks, brilliant Posted Image

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Thanks for your analysis LS. Quite difficult to follow that model thread at times, particularly as they all pretty much refer to England and nowhere else. 

Loads of them were talking about how consistently mild it has been and how at the weekend they had got their first frosts. Up here it's been relatively chilly for the time of year but none of them would have noticed. If it snows in Scotland next week but not anywhere south of Manchester/Sheffield it doubt it will get acknowledged in the model thread.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

For the first time this winter, met office have this wee symbol for me in the borders tuesday.

Posted Image-2 C

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Time for a sharp exit...Any more owl-attacks in Inversnecky City centre?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

LS and BUS many thanks for convection explanations last evening after I crashed out..... Good to hear bleaky about your man upgrade.....have net weather teamed up with match.com to bring weather lovers together??;)

My 3 year old is going snow crazy......she keeps saying dad when is it going to snow and she is actually getting angry every morning when still no sign.....I've created a monster :) I ain't promising her anything just yet for next week

• Like 6

Posted

Here is another one who is not too fussed if it snows or not. I would much prefer cold and frosty until the end of the month so that things can cool down considerably and the cold becomes embedded...(and that includes Europe!)   Just 2 more weeks, PLEASE!  That 19th date really bugs me.(sorry Edo)   I can't remember the year, it was in the 90's, It started snowing around 3pm and It was so heavy, that I had a hell of a job getting home from work. Took me 3 hours to travel 9 miles. Couldn't get to work for the following 2 days either. Thought to myself that we were in for a long, hard winter but I couldn't have been more wrong. That was it, not a sodding flake until the following winter! So best not to wish winter away for the sake of a few snowflakes now.   We need it much colder for longer first.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Just visited model thread...hard work for the mods in there tonight...!

post-7292-0-52248800-1384552897_thumb.jp

post-7292-0-41294900-1384553268_thumb.jp

post-7292-0-77378600-1384553277_thumb.jp

Right pub run...bring the madness..

• Like 8

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

saw this on twitter just goes to show how far the ECM is from its ensembles 

Ryan Maue â€@RyanMaue 10m

ECMWF 10-day HRES model dumped foot of snow all over OKC. Not many ensembles at all agree

Posted Image

Posted

Just visited model thread...hard work for the mods in there tonight...!

Posted Imagelent-messy-toy-room11.jpg

Posted Imagearticle-mcenroe-420x0.jpg

Posted Imageimages (1).jpg

Right pub run...bring the madness..

its certainly a right giggle watching them blow there tops at the output Posted Image

looking like that horrible git SHANNON is rearing her ugly head already this winter with the ops.

• Like 1

Posted

Blitzy its ok I accept your worries....its funny how such memories can stick around....u actually have me worried about snow now lol.......maybe these are new times for weather with new rules and nothing is how it used to be....maybe this year it could snow on 19th and just not stop....but just for you #prayfordry19th

• Like 1

Posted

does anyone know how I make charts do a slide show when I post it in here

Posted

Morning.  Had a quick scoot through the models this morning..(early enough so safe enough!)  and it looks to me as if it is a case of - you pays your money?

GFS displays nothing more than a 36hr wonder ie: cold uppers from Monday 9amish until Tuesday midnightish: Although I am not very good at reading charts so there is probably a lot more hiding in there than the obvious!

post-1989-0-09640900-1384591535_thumb.pn

post-1989-0-18139200-1384591657_thumb.pn

post-1989-0-08440500-1384592462_thumb.pn

post-1989-0-76942200-1384592604_thumb.pn

The ECM on the other hand has cold uppers over us until the end of the run:

post-1989-0-58790300-1384591779_thumb.pn

post-1989-0-14851000-1384592859_thumb.pn

post-1989-0-29898300-1384592914_thumb.pn

post-1989-0-38456700-1384591846_thumb.pn

The ECM option would certainly keep us colder for longer, which can only be a good thing and if it's any consolation, SM on the MOD appears to agree with its solution.

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

does anyone know how I make charts do a slide show when I post it in here

If you add the images side by side rather than heading vertically down the page, they open and when open the arrow key appears to allow you to move onto the next image.

• Like 3

Posted

If you add the images side by side rather than heading vertically down the page, they open and when open the arrow key appears to allow you to move onto the next image.

Now he tells me!Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I see the MT last night was an overflowing padded cell! Good summary LS, and for this reason and our other experts, will remain here for the foreseeable.

Very windy night, but starting a calm a little now, trees are now almost bare, so safe to say, Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snoooowwww with some thunderstorms on the side

Thought I would upload a quick pic of the crazy sky we had up here last night as I got home from work. Don't see that often! :)

post-12868-0-41992000-1384593909_thumb.j

Edited by GoldenJackel
  • Like 9

Posted

As blitzen indicates it is calm over there (for now) ECM wants to continue theme of northern blocking right through to T240 and therefore predictions of BOOM charts to appear over next 24 hrs....anyway off for a busy Saturday so will check in later to see how it's looking....that's here not the MT..... I've done my bit it's someone else's turn