Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn 2013

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Can I go totally OT and ask if there's anybody techie and familiar with windows 8 in here?  Last night I wiped a crumb off the keyboard and the laptop went mad, everything locked and I couldn't do anything. Not turn down the sound or close tabs or even turn the blooduy thing off. Ratty husband gave me a lecture about eating, which led to a major argument and while I was in a temper I did something and fixed it.

And I canny mind what it was! Posted Image If anybody thinks they know what I did, please PM me.

Or if they're looking for a ratty big sod lodger.Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Congrats Edo ! No idea how you will find the time with 4 of them on the go, I struggle to keep track with 3. It's great having a boy though to even out all the Girly stuff !

From further afield on Netwx, thought I would share this from the Super Typhoon thread, a totally stunning image of Haiyan / Yolanda.

Frightening.

Stunning image, I want to be in that little blue bit lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Well this was the frst morning this week without a hard frost and me having to scrape my car of ice. The rain last night about 7pm was so intense you could hear it over the telly! End of next week not looking bad for some cold and snow if it comes off, still early days though and anything and everything can and probably will happen!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

so u can just guess what happened in August....number 4 is here....

Congratulations, don't know what age your girls are but hopefully old enough to be resident baby sitters and interested enough to help out in keeping their little brother amused when you and your wife have 101 other things to do. Our older kids are 18 & 16 and our youngest is approaching 7 and having the older 2 ain't half helped out at times.

If anybody thinks they know what I did, please PM me.

If you ever find out what you did to fix it then let Microsoft know. Not had the "pleasure" of experiencing Windows 8 myself yet but from what I hear generally it's not one of Microsoft's finest moments.

OK, weather, rinse and repeat what I've said the last few mornings pretty much. Only 4C at 8am this morning so no frost. Overhead it's the same mix of blue skies, some high-level cloud and a not too strong a breeze.

Hopefully it'll be similar tomorrow as I've negotiated some freedom to get out and up a hill. Nothing too long or strenuous though as I somehow pulled a muscle in my right angle at the start of last week during some gentle post-run stretching. After a few days of hobbling around trying to avoid rather nasty pains shooting up my leg only now do I feel I'll get away with at least going for a walk (would like to get out running again but that would probably be a very bad idea). Hopefully I'll get high enough to see some snow, if not under foot then at least on the higher hills around.

Edited by Ravelin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

The other side of the coin is that ed won't have PVP to contend with. However, perhaps you should show him what a condom looks like...

Eh!......Why me? You show him!Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Evening Peeps! Temp currently 2.5 and falling. Power went off for about one minute a wee while back and then I heard a very distant rumble of thunder. All OK now. We've had some horrendous hail showers over the past few days, so loud you have to shout to make yourself heard. I do prefer a calm and cold winter myself, but I suppose we gotta take the rough with the smooth.

• Like 1

Posted

Cold and clear here just now with a moderate wind. Currently -1c so neep tops should be getting shrivelled if temperature goes lower tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

First one is a cracker!

For me the second one edges it as I love the snow topped hills. All 3 are great pictures though. I was going to ask where they were taken until I noticed the filenames, and hey, my guess would have been right.

Posted

Was going to post a photo of a condom... Instead here are 3 boring photos of weather related stuff...

Today the weather sort of behaved; there was rain rather than sleet!

Posted Imageincoming.jpgPosted Imagemullardoch.jpgPosted Imagemullardoch2.jpg

Wow... where is 'Running in the opposite direction to UKIP' exactly?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Left wing Scottish nationalist pro-EU.

Just a guess...

(and somewhere between Dingwall and Inverness Posted Image )

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 2

Posted

-1 to start the day and a very wintry looking sky with the rising sun highlighting the clouds to the west  in pink and red.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! Got down to 1.1 last night, lovely starry sky on Skye. Aaaaaaaaaand.....there's snow on them thar hills!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Towards the bottom left hand corner I presume.

http://www.politicalcompass.org/ukparties2010

Another frost the morn. -0.2 °C right now.

Winter tyres now fitted and I'm well pleased to have them on; even without snaw they've much more grip than the summers on cold, wet mornings.

Liking the ECM.

I guess something like this would be appropriate at this stage however.

Posted Image

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Towards the bottom left hand corner I presume.

http://www.politicalcompass.org/ukparties2010

Another frost the morn. -0.2 °C right now.

Winter tyres now fitted and I'm well pleased to have them on; even without snaw they've much more grip than the summers on cold, wet mornings.

Liking the ECM.

I guess something like this would be appropriate at this stage however.

Posted Image

You're about right although I'm at risk of becoming a serial ballot-spoiler these days. Foliticians eh?

At first I thought the ramp was literally for winter tyre use Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image then Posted Image possibly?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Cracking bright morning here too with just a few light clouds blowing in from the North West. Frosty earlier with a min of -1C. Nice day to get out and about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-24879707

CairnGorm Mountain opens some runs for snowsports

One of Scotland's five ski centres has opened some runs for snowsports this weekend.

Snowfalls over the past couple of months have allowed the centre near Aviemore to make an early start to the season.

On Saturday morning the Ciste runs were "opening" for skiers and snowboarders.

CairnGorm Mountain tweeted: "Its looking good up here...Light winds, -4C, clear and bright. First train 10.00am."

Posted Image

Webcam:

Posted Image

A fair bit of snaw down to the mid station.

Posted Image

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Just driven through some torrential sleet over Harthill...

Yep, NMM suggests higher ground wintriness over the next 24-36 hours courtesy of this area of sub 528 dam air:

Posted Image

However, with upper air temperatures not that low it will require intensity to push the freezing levels down sufficiently for snow:

Posted Image

You can see that some of Scotland has mean 950hpas sub 0C, but as ever it's in the Highland Perthshire/Breadalbane sector, although precipitation is limited there at the moment.

Posted Image

Anyway, the ECM 00Z is the most interesting run we've seen so far this autumn, with a genuinely cold northeasterly, and it would perhaps be enough for low level snow showers to develop, depending on the overall profile of the air. Certainly with the warmer SSTs at this time of year convection off the sea can be quite vigorous (both Novembers 2008 and 2005 saw decent dumpings of snow for Fife at least from northerlies), although perhaps the high being so close would inhibit convection. Interesting to watch, although I'd still hedge against anything more than 3-4 days of 'proper' cold:

Posted Image

Incidentally - THAT'S how you get a cold spell with a positive AO.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Big ominous dark cloud incoming over west end/central Glasgow, rumble of thunder heard too.

'Running in opposite direction to UKIP' doesn't involve much running in Scotland. They've failed to keep their deposit in any election here, because no-one likes them.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

AAAaaaaand nothing happened. Just a low bank of cloud passing over. Quite a chilly one here today though.