Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 4th October onwards 2013

Posted

I have looked for a lingering detector app for my I phone but have been unable to find one can I have some help??

i use  rain alarm  that  good

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

An exciting afternoon for some i think. The best storms look to be in southern parts with the SE perhaps most favored later this afternoon.

An area of precip to develop over the Midlands too and with a CAPE of around 300-500 j/kg Li -3 i would think some thundery activity should occur.

I think i will position myself near the M1 for a good north-south road through the E Mids with the option of the London area later if need be.

• Like 1

Posted

I have looked for a lingering detector app for my I phone but have been unable to find one can I have some help??

I use boltzortung lightning monitor app for my phone and also have mobilie rain today

Posted

hi wat about my region does anyone know if i will get a storm ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Theres quite a dark cloud coming this way now and I am not shure if I heard a rumble of thunder a few minutes ago.

We have had nothing so far but I did see one distant flash to the southwest last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Currently travelling westbound on m25 near reigate. Looks as though I may intercept something on the way to Bristol.

Posted

Near Woking now and sky looking dark the further west we drive. Looks good on radar at the mo. Few strikes near reading.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A good torrential downpur here, the roads are flowing like rivers. 4.4mm in the last 15 minutes. My lightning detector has been going mental at 12 - 24 miles, not a rumble here though.  

Posted

Strike of lightning whilst on m4!

Posted

SE, Home Counties and the Capital looking favourable later, a likelihood of locally torrential downpours, hail, lightning and thunder at times.

Definately in the firing line here Triple-x and I am picking up frequent sferics on my trusty old £3 mdium wave radio. Skies rapidly darkening and now hearing distant rumbles of thunder. Radar looking very active.

• Like 2

Posted

Unbelievable radar images. M4 is down to 40 in places. 3 flashes and a strike seen so far.

Posted

Fair enough, well normally you'd be right haha. Though that clump of activity to the SW of the UK has more your name on it than here so if it can keep its intensity, fingers crossed! 

Turns out It did give something here! looked like it wasn't going to give much then it intensified giving pretty strong winds and torrential rain with several flashes and rumbles of thunder as it was clearing. Seemed pretty impressive at the time., kind of makes up for not being at uni.

Having said that looks like you might be about to get more!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Nice bit of thunder and lightning just gone off, along with a very heavy downburst, torrential rain and hail :D, thats made my day xD

Had a good storm this morning aswell!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

I was woken up this morning at 5am by the heaviest rain I have hear/seen in ages, sounded like thunder! Anyway since then nothing around here, just hoping something kicks off later....

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

That mass over Central Southern England can't be far off a MCS structure.

Massive clump of storms! :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

everything missing here by a matter of not many miles and the radar looks fairly clear after that.....maybe I'll get lucky with a rogue storm later on....been a pretty pants year on the convective front........ho hum Posted Image

Posted

Latest NW-ATD map shows where the strikes currently are, mainly over Hampshire but also recently over South Wiltshire stretching down into South East Devon and Dorset. It's slowly clearing from these areas now though;

post-12721-0-75186300-1382275093_thumb.j

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Latest NW-ATD map shows where the strikes currently are, mainly over Hampshire but also recently over South Wiltshire stretching down into South East Devon and Dorset. It's slowly clearing from these areas now though;

Posted Imageimage.jpg

worth noting that most of those strikes are quite old......sferic activity seems to be quietening down for the time being

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Turns out the distant rumble I heard earlier must have been thunder because we have had at least 6 rumbles since then.

I saw two overhead lightning flashes, one when I was having lunch looking out of the kitchen window and then another looking out of the landing window.

Although there hasn't been as much lightning as previous storms we have had this year I think today has been the first where they have actually been overhead.

Posted

SE, Home Counties and the Capital looking favourable later, a likelihood of locally torrential downpours, hail, lightning and thunder at times.

And that's exactly what we got here near High Wycombe in the last hour!

Also a few rumbles at around 7am this morning. As I type I can hear thunder again in the distance, to the south west. I think this is the most  thundery activity we've had all year.

• Like 1

Posted

Posted Imageimage.jpg

May just catch that heavy stuff moving towards m4 then. Not long left reading services so may time it right.

Posted

Gone very dark here and just had a rumble of thunder

Judging by the radar it looks as though we may just catch the western edge of the mass. Don't think it's going to be too bad here although of course, sferics aren't always associated with the heaviest rainfall.