Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 4th October onwards 2013

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Storm & Convective Forecast

post-1052-0-17284900-1382256382_thumb.pn

Issued 2013-10-20 08:04:21

Valid: 20/10/2013 0600Z to 21/10/2013 0600z

THERE IS A RISK OF THUNDERSTORMS FORECAST

Synopsis
Cylconic southwesterly upper flow will contain two or more shortwave troughs moving NE today, atop of mild and moist and southerly flow at the surface ahead of low pressure close to Ireland, providing another day with deep convection across much of Ireland, England and Wales.

... IRELAND, ENGLAND, WALES, S SCOTLAND  ...

Midnight Herstmonceux (E Sussex) and Camborne (Cornwall) radiosonde ascents indicate an unstable moist airmass in place across Sern Britain this morning with cloud tops likely to reach 25-30,000 ft and 200-300 j/kg CAPE sampled - indicating deep convection likely. One shortwave trough lying between SW Scotland and SE England and moving NE is currently bringing a line of thunderstorms across SE England. Further heavy showers and thunderstorms will likely move northeast across England, Wales and Ireland/N Ireland through the day as the airmass remains unstable. Further shortwave troughs are expected to move NE, providing additional lift and allowing showers/storms to organise into lines bringing a risk of strong winds gusts and large rainfall totals within a short space of time - bringing a risk of localised flooding.

Additionally, 30-40 knts of deep layer shear, low Lifted Condensation Levels (LCLs) and sufficient low-level veering winds across southern Britain may allow one or two storms to exhibit rotating updrafts or mesocylones - which could bring the small risk of tornadoes or waterspouts - particularly towards windward southern and western coastal areas. Therefore have issued a SLIGHT risk for southern portions of England and Wales.

Issued by: Nick Finnis
Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Guest William Grimsley

Storm & Convective Forecast

Posted Imageconvmap_201013.png

Issued 2013-10-20 08:04:21

Valid: 20/10/2013 0600Z to 21/10/2013 0600z

THERE IS A RISK OF THUNDERSTORMS FORECAST

Synopsis

Cylconic southwesterly upper flow will contain two or more shortwave troughs moving NE today, atop of mild and moist and southerly flow at the surface ahead of low pressure close to Ireland, providing another day with deep convection across much of Ireland, England and Wales.

... IRELAND, ENGLAND and WALES ...

Midnight Herstmonceux (E Sussex) and Camborne (Cornwall) radiosonde ascents indicate an unstable moist airmass in place across Sern Britain this morning with cloud tops to 25-30,000 ft and 200-300 j/kg CAPE sampled - indicating deep convection likely. One shortwave trough lying between SW Scotland and SE England and moving NE is currently bringing a line of thunderstorms across SE England. Further heavy showers and thunderstorms will likely move northeast across England, Wales and Ireland/N Ireland through the day as the airmass remains unstable. Further shortwave troughs are expected to move NE, providing additional lift and allowing showers/storms to organise into lines bringing a risk of strong winds gusts and large rainfall totals within a short space of time - bringing a risk of localised flooding.

Additionally, 30-40 knts of deep layer shear, low Lifted Condensation Levels (LCLs) and sufficient low-level veering winds across southern Britain may allow one or two storms to exhibit rotating updrafts or mesocylones - which could bring the small risk of tornadoes or waterspouts - particularly towards windward southern and western coastal areas. Therefore have issued a SLIGHT risk for southern portions of England and Wales.

Issued by: Nick Finnis

Looking good. I've never seen slight used in this forecast, before. Only thunderstorms.

Posted

Looking good. I've never seen slight used in this forecast, before. Only thunderstorms.

Please do not copy a complete text William especially when that text sits just above your post, it clutrters up the thread-thanks

regarding the forecast from Nick, this is the one to watch always in my view above any of the others

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Just had a bout of torrential rain go over with very dark sky - looked like the bright echo area on the rain radar. However, seems that this group of cells has finished it's thunder for the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Very true JH. I await Nicks forecast on any convective days.

Well, a slight severe risk just touching Derby. I think radar watching, a car full of petrol and a charged camcorder will be the order of the day today. A lot of sferics around in the western channel currently.

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Nope went home this weekend unfortunately, thought it might coincide with increased thunder chance here too but not the case.  Oh well there will probably be a storm at home in Devon this week while I'm back in Egham.

The heaviest pixel on the radar passed right over my student house lol.

Fair enough, well normally you'd be right haha. Though that clump of activity to the SW of the UK has more your name on it than here so if it can keep its intensity, fingers crossed! 

Posted

Some rather menacing skies looking west towards Heathrow from my Office, can hear thunder too.

Posted ImageIMG00188-20131020-0759.jpgPosted ImageIMG00189-20131020-0759.jpg

Nice captures of the Singapore Airlines Airbus A380 there Nick. The dark stuff in the background is what passed over here delivering about 10 minutes of torrential rain, strong gusty winds and a couple of very close lightning strikes. Apparently lightning damaged railway signalling equipment in the Watford area, delaying train services.

There are as yet unconfirmed reports of a tornado on Hayling Island at about 7.30am  this morning, some photo's of damage now emerging.

https://twitter.com/ianhoult/status/391847153892859904/photo/1

Posted

Torrential rain and pea sized hail observed here over the last hour. No thunder yet though.

Have been caught in this streamer but skies clearing now.

Edited by dave48

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Unfortunately, i've missed all the action again. How? I don't know! That aside, there's been a tornado in Hayling Island, reports of damage to 100 homes. I can't copy and paste the link, sorry. Posted Image

Beach huts damaged, cars damaged, trees down .. and that horrible term was used 'mini' tornado,  i'll be on the lookout for mini-hurricanes next! Posted Image

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

A few rumbles here from the cell that clipped the Tendring Coastline. 2nd storm in October, so can't complain.

Posted

all eyes  on what coming  up the  channel ,its  near jersey  at the  moment  acc  to the  rain alarm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/mini-tornado-causes-damage-on-hayling-island-1-5605874

EXTENSIVE damage has been caused to a number of houses in Hayling Island after what is being a ‘mini-tornado.’

This morning, nearly 100 houses have had their roofs damaged after high winds and rain hit the island.

Several cars have also been damaged from fallen trees and broken fences.

Hampshire Constabulary were called to the incident that happened on Fishery Lane, Blackthorn Road and Ilex Walk,

A spokesman for the police said: ‘We received a call at 7.45am of a fallen tree in Fishery Lane.

‘Other calls came in shortly aftewards of broken fences, damaged cars and damaged roofs to around 100 houses.

‘Beach huts on the seafront are also damaged.

‘Reports are saying it was a mini-tornado.

‘Police officers and on the scene and working with the council to clear the damage.’

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

That mass in the South West looks to be heading this way, hopefully it'll hold it's own and produce more sferics as it makes it's way here. I've switched on my lightning detector, so it's just a matter of waiting now. :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Unfortunately, i've missed all the action again. How? I don't know! That aside, there's been a tornado in Hayling Island, reports of damage to 100 homes. I can't copy and paste the link, sorry. Posted Image

Beach huts damaged, cars damaged, trees down .. and that horrible term was used 'mini' tornado,  i'll be on the lookout for mini-hurricanes next! Posted Image

You're not alone, sod all here as usual. All the action this morning seemed to kick off to the east of here, hence the tornado reports in Hayling Island.

Like the look of what's coming up the Channel though. Posted Image

Posted

Can anyone help me understand this...?

This afternoon, Netweather suggests there will be Cape of 1249 j/kg and an LI of -4 yet there is 0% chance of a storm.

I'd always understood that the higher the cape value and the more negative the LI value, the greater risk of a storm.

Is this correct?

If so, is the issue here that there needs to be a trigger but that one is unavailable? We currently have a band of rain approaching the area so i'd have thought that would serve as such.

What am i not understanding here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

Had a rumble of thunder here in Swindon about 30 mins ago, yesterday I was in Western Super Mare and had thunder there too. Two days in a row for me in October, I honestly can't remember the last time this happened.

Down in the Channel is looking good for the SW, fingers crossed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Not sure the convection will be heading as far inland today, the South coast and S.W. doing best.

Posted

Can anyone help me understand this...?

This afternoon, Netweather suggests there will be Cape of 1249 j/kg and an LI of -4 yet there is 0% chance of a storm.

I'd always understood that the higher the cape value and the more negative the LI value, the greater risk of a storm.

Is this correct?

If so, is the issue here that there needs to be a trigger but that one is unavailable? We currently have a band of rain approaching the area so i'd have thought that would serve as such.

CAPE is Convective Active Potential Energy - it has to realised. This can be from a trigger as you say, but that trigger may well be capped with CIN which is Convective Inhibition. So for, instance, in your area we can see CAPE degrading and CIN increasing during the afternoon. Some quite substantial lifting mechanism is needed to overcome this, so you're looking at strong surface heating - you'll get some, and it'll feel pleasant, but it won't be enough - and maybe shear, and shear is not prominent in your area. Of course, this is a back of postage stamp explanation .....

The NetWeather forecast looks good to me.

Edited by Sparkicle
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Lovely little thunderstorm about 30 mins ago with some really torrential rain and hail. :D that's about the 3rd or 4th lightning cell now. :)

• Like 2

Posted

CAPE is Convective Active Potential Energy - it has to realised. This can be from a trigger as you say, but that trigger may well be capped with CIN which is Convective Inhibition. So for, instance, in your area we can see CAPE degrading and CIN increasing during the afternoon. Some quite substantial lifting mechanism is needed to overcome this, so you're looking at strong surface heating - you'll get some, and it'll feel pleasant, but it won't be enough - and maybe shear, and shear is not prominent in your area. Of course, this is a back of postage stamp explanation .....

The NetWeather forecast looks good to me.

Thanks for that, helps me get my head around the situation a bit.