Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/10/13 15z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I was thinking you meant Thunder and Lightning so I had to go check the radar. All I can say is MOISTURE LADEN SOUTH-WESTERLIES. But "at least, it will be mild". Not after Monday it won't thank god. At least down to average Temps by day and night, I am hoping. Posted Image

No storms just precip, but it sprung from nowhere and caught me by surprise. Personally I'm looking forward to proper cold, but I'll take a raging storm any day, even on a Monday! Cold currently looks a long way off 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

No storms just precip, but it sprung from nowhere and caught me by surprise. Personally I'm looking forward to proper cold, but I'll take a raging storm any day, even on a Monday! Cold currently looks a long way off 

Indeed, but it be cool to get something cooler. Only the other day was I stating that I missed having a decent blow for what seems like years, almost a decade or more? So, in fact I'm hoping the storm does indeed come across this region. We do however, as if it really needs saying, have to brace ourselves for a rough ride in terms of human costs involved, but I AM jumping the gun at this stage in proceedings with such a statement.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Excuse my ignorance guys, but what sort of rainfall totals are we looking at overnight tonight?

NAE totals by tomorrow morning;post-12721-0-42230500-1382650988_thumb.jGFS totals;post-12721-0-57914200-1382651006_thumb.jBit busy to go looking deeper using NW extra etc sorry. :)
  • Like 1

Posted

NAE totals by tomorrow morning;image.jpgGFS totals;image.jpgBit busy to go looking deeper using NW extra etc sorry. :)

Thanks AWD buddy!! :) very helpful as always :) just wondering if I'll have any football tomorrow that's all, what you've given is very useful, cheers! Edited by dec10snow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Indeed, but it be cool to get something cooler. Only the other day was I stating that I missed having a decent blow for what seems like years, almost a decade or more? So, in fact I'm hoping the storm does indeed come across this region. We do however, as if it really needs saying, have to brace ourselves for a rough ride in terms of human costs involved, but I AM jumping the gun at this stage in proceedings with such a statement.

You do make me smile gtlw Posted Image

I agree there is nothing better than a good blow Posted Image although I am waiting to see a decent snowstorm too we never get a channel low with wind and a driving snow.

• Like 2

Posted

I agree there is nothing better than a good blow Posted Image although I am waiting to see a decent snowstorm too we never get a channel low with wind and a driving snow.

Quite, last winter the blimming french and Channel Islands nicked our once in a generation storm and then the North of England and Wales got hammered, whilst we watch in ore!!  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I should have guessed our Mull would have found another way to interpret things. Posted ImagePosted Image Are you prone to a bit of wind in your location yourself? Down in my sheltered valley its rare to get gusts over 40mph in recent years, yes you did read that right, gusts not even mean wind speeds. I say this because some folk in our region will most likely say what is all the fuss about as the storm unfolds. The point to note is its down to knowing your own location, location, location. Anyway, I do believe the hype is justified, whatever changes occur over the next 72 hours. A windstorm is arriving and I have already heard a local council authority is putting in contingency plans, should the worse happen.

Exciting stuff, this weather.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

SOMERSET & BANES 5 DAY FORECAST

5 DAY FORECAST ISSUED AT 08:00HRS ON FRIDAY OCTOBER 25TH 2013

Friday will start dull and wet with spells of rain but clearer weather will spread NE through the morning with winds veering SW with some sunshine but scattered heavy showers too later. Temperatures will remain well above average with values of near 16-17C in the afternoon.

Tonight will be rather cloudy with just a few clearer intervals and scattered showers, a few of which could still be heavy and thundery but not everyone will see them. It will be a breezy and mild night with temperatures not below 12C by dawn.

Through Saturday fresh West or SW brings will bring a lot of dry and bright weather but there could be some showery rain in places at first and late in the day a spell of heavier and squally rain will cross East through the area followed by clear intervals and squally showers overnight.

Sunday will be bright and very breezy with frequent squally and heavy showers with strong Westerly winds and just brief and fleeting bright or sunny intervals. It will feel chilly in the wind.

Monday could potentially become very stormy as a vigorous Low tracks across Southern England early in the day with the potential for storm force winds and very heavy rain for a time followed by squally showers. The confidence on the exact procedure of events and it's impact on the area are unsure at the moment and further updates will be added over the coming days.

Tuesday will see the storms subside but it will remain very windy with showers and sunny spells and rather cold weather.

Compiled By Martin Gibbs

NEXT UPDATE AT 19:00 HRS ON FRIDAY OCTOBER 25TH 2013

• Like 1

Posted

I should have guessed our Mull would have found another way to interpret things. Posted ImagePosted Image Are you prone to a bit of wind in your location yourself? Down in my sheltered valley its rare to get gusts over 40mph in recent years, yes you did read that right, gusts not even mean wind speeds. I say this because some folk in our region will most likely say what is all the fuss about as the storm unfolds. The point to note is its down to knowing your own location, location, location. Anyway, I do believe the hype is justified, whatever changes occur over the next 72 hours. A windstorm is arriving and I have already heard a local council authority is putting in contingency plans, should the worse happen.

Exciting stuff, this weather.

I was just shocked that comment was up for a few hours without anyone noticing it.. that'll change by the winter! Posted Image

We are prone although not so much from a straight southerly to be honest and house is sheltered by some woodland on slight incline to south.  We are exposed however to any roaring north, west or easterly winds.

One tree came down in the windy weather we had just a couple of weeks ago on a37 not far away and the area is generally quite prone so if your going to see damage it tends to be in this area on the way home from work etc.

Weather seems quite pleasant outside today.

• Like 1

Guest William Grimsley

It was wet and mild with a strong wind yesterday, here. High Rainfall Rate Yesterday: 6.8 mm/hr 22:37 High Hourly Rainfall Yesterday: 3.2 mm 23:32 Rainfall Yesterday: 7.0 mm High Temperature Yesterday: 15.6°C 10:58 High Wind Gust Yesterday: 38 mph 22:37 High Wind Speed Yesterday: 17 mph 18:26.

Posted

Who wants to go Windsurfing off the Jurrasic coastline on Monday then? :)

post-12721-0-14693900-1382692087_thumb.j

Edited by AWD
  • Like 5

Posted

Who wants to go Windsurfing off the Jurrasic coastline on Monday then? Posted Image

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Is that further south than before?

Posted

Is that further south than before?

Marginally, but the above FAX is for midnight Monday. This is the FAX chart for midday Monday;post-12721-0-68791300-1382693555_thumb.jThe forecast track by the Met Office therefore is SW/NE, bringing the worst of the winds to our region between 01:00 & 07:00 if that verifies.

Posted

Marginally, but the above FAX is for midnight Monday. This is the FAX chart for midday Monday;

Posted Imageimage.jpg

The forecast track by the Met Office therefore is SW/NE, bringing the worst of the winds to our region between 01:00 & 07:00 if that verifies.

SO we can kite surf from the Jurassic coast all the way to the Carlsberg Factory in Denmark!! I'm inPosted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow/thunderstorms

As always I'm really enjoying this forum' especially with Mondays potential. And as I live on the Isle of Wight in a very open valley, I was just wondering what effect my geographic location can have on local conditions during a rare storm event. Ie - small land mass surrounded by water. Anyone fancy giving their two Penny's worth ?. All I know is its gonna be full on here if it does come off !

Posted

Marginally, but the above FAX is for midnight Monday. This is the FAX chart for midday Monday;

Posted Imageimage.jpg

The forecast track by the Met Office therefore is SW/NE, bringing the worst of the winds to our region between 01:00 & 07:00 if that verifies.

So if it comes off we shall all be tucked up in bed when she blows.. ?Posted Image

Posted

Every single one of us, from Penzance to Worcester, from Barnstaple to Reading, from Oxford to Portsmouth, are in an Amber warning zone from the Met Office now;

post-12721-0-47385300-1382698114_thumb.j

So if it comes off we shall all be tucked up in bed when she blows.. ?Posted Image

We're all big boy's now. We're allowed to stay up until whatever time we please. ;)

But yes, the severest winds, if it verifies as currently forecast, will be during the early hours of Monday morning.

• Like 2

Posted

Every single one of us, from Penzance to Worcester, from Barnstaple to Reading, from Oxford to Portsmouth, are in an Amber warning zone from the Met Office now;

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Looks like those lucky few that live in the channel are only under a yellow warning..  Posted Image  what's the point in that?

• Like 2

Posted

Posted

Latest forecast route from the Met Office for Monday's storm;

post-12721-0-48004700-1382698900_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

The best place to be. Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

The best place to be. Posted Image

Think I'll go alfresco Posted Image

Posted

In our region, that sounds a good prediction. On the East coast somewhere, Great Yarmouth perhaps, I suspect an 80mph gust would be conceivable. Maybe topping that in parts of the Low countries, where I think they will face the brunt of this beast.

Posted

Think I'll go alfresco Posted Image

Perhaps the best thing to say was the safest place would be indoors. I know many folk will go alfresco but with it comes a risk to life and limb, hopefully just tree limbs. Looking forward to the event with intrepedation but I'm long overdue some windiness.

Latest forecast route from the Met Office for Monday's storm;

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Oooee, where'd you get that from?