Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/10/13 15z ------>

A.J

Guest William Grimsley

David Braine showed a lot of heavy showers and thunderstorms, tonight. Especially for Devon and Dorset. There were some very torrential downpours shown in his weather forecast. I hope it comes true.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Could be a very turbulent night for Southern England as conditions are primed for widespread deep convection and squally winds and to enhance things more a deep trough will pass in the early hours. Many places will probably see at least distant lightning and probably more for a few. It is also conceivable that an isolated waterspout or small tornado could affect Southern Coastal Counties East of Dorset through the night giving the risk of localised damage.

Spot on Gibby, well done.

Small ridge of pressure briefly nudges in on Weds/Thurs whilst we undergo a change in wind direction from our current Southerly/South Westerly mild airmass to the forecast westerly, more average airmass. Hardly noticeable on the NWP but it's there. 

Thanks AWD, I guess I'm more pessimistic then but time will tell.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Spot on Gibby, well done.Thanks AWD, I guess I'm more pessimistic then but time will tell.

Echo that GTLTW thunderstorm over Newbury some good old rumbles and sporadic torrential pours.. Lightning. Think though it is passing north and east of us though,,,? What do you think?Wow torrential now! Edited by Polar Bear
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Echo that GTLTW thunderstorm over Newbury some good old rumbles and sporadic torrential pours.. Lightning. Think though it is passing north and east of us though,,,? What do you think?Wow torrential now!

Indeed PB, caught the edge of the cell or cells as we often do. Oddly, the strikes didn't show up on the NW radar unless the 6 to 8 rumbles I heard were from the strikes near Ludgershall? Always worth remembering that they don't get all the strikes it seems and there isn't always spot on precision. 7.2mm so far today so nowhere near as wet as some places, even locally.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Indeed PB, caught the edge of the cell or cells as we often do. Oddly, the strikes didn't show up on the NW radar unless the 6 to 8 rumbles I heard were from the strikes near Ludgershall? Always worth remembering that they don't get all the strikes it seems and there isn't always spot on precision. 7.2mm so far today so nowhere near as wet as some places, even locally.

bugger all here......why on earth did I move back down south? Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

The worst would seem to have by passed us, again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/

The graphic further down the page shows lightning symbol over Bristol area around 2200.

I wait in anticipation.

Edited by Karl83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Fantastic thunderstorm - best I've ever seen in Southampton. Squally gust front, torrential rain, almost continuous lightning above the clouds and forking down.

Shame my gutters are full of leaves....

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

I can see lightning now to the south of me. Must be that line near Winchester. Round 2 for us I wonder? Oh and here comes more rain....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow and storms

Fairly impressive lightning to my south and south west but thunder is pretty distant. No rain yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow and storms

Storm much closer now, rain has arrived and thunder and lightning closer to me.

• Like 1

Posted

Best storm of the year so far, frequent lightning striking the ground close by, moving off to the East now but lightning  and rumbles still going.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

SOMERSET & BANES 5 DAY FORECAST

5 DAY FORECAST ISSUED AT 18:00HRS ON MONDAY OCTOBER 22ND 2013

Tonight will be a night of broken cloud and occasional heavy showers perhaps with thunder. Some torrential downpours are likely with locally very strong gusts of wind in places. It will be quite mild still with temperatures no lower than 10C in a blustery SW wind.

Wednesday will be very windy and showery at first. Through the day showers will die down and it will probably become dry everywhere by late afternoon with some sunny spells in a cooler Westerly wind.

On Thursday after a bright morning cloud will thicken through the afternoon with SE winds increasing and some rain spreading NE later in the day, some heavy. It will remain mild.

Friday will be another very unsettled day with showers or longer spells of rain across the area in lighter winds than of late. Temperatures may be a little lower than of late but it will still be mild for the time of year.

On Saturday an unsettled start with further rain and showers will be replaced by a drier and brighter afternoon with some sunshine and rather cooler and less windy weather than of late.

Sunday will be a very windy day with further spells of rain or showers and very few if any bright weather.

Compiled By Martin Gibbs

NEXT UPDATE AT 08:00 HRS ON WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 23RD 2013

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)
  • Weather Preferences: Exciting extremes - snow, wind, storms... love it all!
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)

Watching the lightning over towards Reading...Headed this way and brought rain with some accompanying gusts!Quieter now... drizzly night.

Ooo... hang on! Some lovely, long, low rumbles circling and the rain is becoming heavier!

Edited by Iggy912
  • Like 1

Posted

Weve had an amazing storm here on the Hampshire coast...frequent lightning, loads of hail, booming thunder...and when we got back to our house 3 miles away from the coast it was still flashing away with loads of crawler lightning..took a video with flashes every few seconds! Best storm down here for a long time!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

More shower cells heading NE out of Biscay. Looks like these are on track to affect areas further west than recent storms.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

More shower cells heading NE out of Biscay. Looks like these are on track to affect areas further west than recent storms.

about time too!

• Like 2

Posted

Well that little lot certainly livened up this thread. Posted Image

Poor ole AJ and AWD, your time will come and as you stated, AWD, maybe its later tonight. Posted Image

• Like 1