Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest and Snowiest winter on record (2013/2014)

Timbo

Posted

Well we have a topic on the warmest winter on record so lets have one on the coldest..

I fell we are about to see some of the most severe and snowiest weather this country has ever experienced.. 

From Mid December High Pressure to the North of the Uk will dominate our weather, bringing frequent heavy falls of snow, and exceptional low temperatures..

lets see the thoughts of all the members on here.. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Just once in my lifetime I would like to experience an epic winter. Snowier, colder and lengthier than 2010. Don't get me wrong, 2010 was great, I loved it,  but I want a real barnstormer, a real show stopper of a winter. Just once. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I want to see the prolonged cold of 1962/3 combined with the massive snowfalls of 1946/47.

• Like 3

Posted

I want to see the prolonged cold of 1962/3 combined with the massive snowfalls of 1946/47.

since 2010 we have had some epic snowfalls , the last one being March 13 ..

These seem to be getting more intense, we have also come close to some severe snow (close but no cigar)

This winter may be the one when it all comes together and delivers the one to remember..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

since 2010 we have had some epic snowfalls , the last one being March 13 ..

These seem to be getting more intense, we have also come close to some severe snow (close but no cigar)

This winter may be the one when it all comes together and delivers the one to remember..

Barely a flake blew here I'm afraid, but yes I'm hoping for a good one this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Really depends, knowing this country the infrastructure would systematically implode at the end of day 1 leading to misery for nearly everyone as you can't travel anywhere Posted Image

Would be great to have snow on the ground throughout the entire winter though, interspersed with clear/crisp sunny days :)

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Barely a flake blew here I'm afraid, but yes I'm hoping for a good one this year.

Just a sprinkling here...  And yes the dog was having a $hit.

post-12319-0-86641300-1380375986_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 8

Posted

Lol....don't worry, I have lots of  'get out of the bloody frame!'  pics like that.

Well we have a topic on the warmest winter on record so lets have one on the coldest..

I fell we are about to see some of the most severe and snowiest weather this country has ever experienced.. 

From Mid December High Pressure to the North of the Uk will dominate our weather, bringing frequent heavy falls of snow, and exceptional low temperatures..

lets see the thoughts of all the members on here.. 

I 'feel' that pink unicorns from Pluto will invade us and become our overlords, doesn't mean it's going to happen though. I don't think feelings are much use when it comes to predicting weather.  I haven't the foggiest what kind of winter we'll have to be honest, does anyone really??

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

It wasn't a bad couple of days here either.post-9027-0-72475500-1380377112_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

If this happened then the thread I made would look ridiculous and I'd become depressed and then cry.

Jokes, it would awesome at the start but would become tiresome at the end.

Edited by Barry95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Been there and done that...cheers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Been there and done that...cheers

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.. ready to do it all over again, but this time in the UK, not abroad.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Seeing all these March 2013 pictures annoy me slightly. It was a great month and I did enjoy it, but here the max snow depth let me down at about 4" and places nearby faired a lot better. And seeing those monster snows rubs salt in the wound!

Because of this, I think I'd rather have very deep snows than the coldest Winter on record.

Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

I see we already have something of  Scandie and Greenie Highs, the area to the north east of Moscow is now sub 528 mbs and I note that over the past few days Moscow's max's would not disgrace a normal winter's day over here, dropping to about 7C, so I ask myself whether this is a harbinger of things to come?

Well established highs in these locations have the potential to bring us long lasting frigid conditions.

There is little doubt that if we were to retain the current synoptic situation for the whole of the winter M & S would quickly run out of woolly knickers, so for you snow lovers there is hope - it all depends on how the jet streams are going to behave in the coming weeks and months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I remember Feb 86 as my great winter memory, but even 4 weeks of temps around 0c it got a bit 'wearing' at the end but what made it a greta month in Swansea was that we had decent snowfall at the beginning as it became very dry.  I prefer a winter with two week cold spells interspersed with warm ups. This winter the coldest?  Well I've read two people who use solar based forecasts and one method says deep prolonged cold, one says mild Jan/Feb is due....but interestingly the one whose analogs suggest mild have overridden that and gone for cold at this early stage...due to 'additional' factors.

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Me to but they have to keep the A34 open and show me how I can get Gas without paying

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

yeah march 22-24th was great here, and so was 18th-20th Jan, not record cold, but I think i would rather have significant snow

Dec '10 was fantastic, not as much snow as other 2, but colder and festive

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I remember Feb 86 as my great winter memory, but even 4 weeks of temps around 0c it got a bit 'wearing' at the end but what made it a greta month in Swansea was that we had decent snowfall at the beginning as it became very dry.  I prefer a winter with two week cold spells interspersed with warm ups. This winter the coldest?  Well I've read two people who use solar based forecasts and one method says deep prolonged cold, one says mild Jan/Feb is due....but interestingly the one whose analogs suggest mild have overridden that and gone for cold at this early stage...due to 'additional' factors.

BFTP

Feb 86, my 21st on the 9th remember the month well

Big snow fight on my birthday out in the street.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

BFTP

4 weeks...we had 6 weeks here!  jan 23 to march 3rd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Seeing all these March 2013 pictures annoy me slightly. It was a great month and I did enjoy it, but here the max snow depth let me down at about 4" and places nearby faired a lot better. And seeing those monster snows rubs salt in the wound!Because of this, I think I'd rather have very deep snows than the coldest Winter on record.

Strangely enough most other march's I have endured through my life have been more snowy than 2013, it was just cold with plenty ice days but Diddly squat made it to the west country except maybe a couple of brief flurry's .

dec 2010 and feb 2009 were amazing though with huge depths.

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Have to say that March '13 was the greatest amount of snow I've ever seen in my life; general depths of around 18" and drifts >4'...Plus the sheer longevity of it was ridiculous!

People say that winter 13 wasn't too impressive, and that is technically correct, but I prefer to look at the seasons in terms of weather rather than concrete deadlines - To me, such impressive snowfalls in March were part of a very good winter and will be fondly remembered by myself Posted Image

Now though I've moved up further north to Sheffield, so it will be interesting to see if my expectations change at all.        

------------

Feb 2009 was very impressive as well in terms of a single event, again around 18" deep but with drifting less significant than March 2013.

Nov/Dec 2010 was incredibly impressive in terms of cold, less so with snow.  While we didn't get too many deep falls though, it did make decent accumulations because snow simply did not melt over weeks in this period...I seem to recall this being something of a rare white christmas (decent deep lying snow, not a little bit of snizzle).

I also seem to recall Jan 2010 being pretty cold?

Edited by weatherguy