Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mildest Winter on Record 2013/14

Barry12

Posted

If we do end up seeing a record-busting mild winter, I will be outside making the most of it. Much as I love snow, mowing the lawn on Christmas Day 1974 was also a pleasure...Posted Image Hic!

What anything to avoid a bit of christmas cheer, you humbug!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

As much as i love the seasonal chill in the build up to Christmas, i care little about what happens on the big day itself. So if it was 15c and blowing a SW gale i would love every minuite of it.

As for the mildest winter on record. I hear that a bit of the cold stuff is necesary for nature to completely shut down before reawakening again in the Spring. So whilst i would take the mildest on record, an average winter would be just as preferable with some cold occurring from time to time throughout the 3 months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Lets say we had 8.2c for December (beats 1934 and 1974)  CET series

7.6c for January (beats 7.5c Jan 1916) CET Series

8.0 for February (beat 7.9c Deb 1779) CET series

I'm on the fence whether I would prefer that to a average winter (cold winter no chance)

This forum would go into melt down and loads of new theories would remerge.. 

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

After last winters extended cold fest a mild one this year would be welcome, if anything to get balance back on the leccy bill.

Edited by Jax

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

After last winters extended cold fest a mild one this year would be welcome, if anything to get balance back on the leccy bill.

They'll only up the price!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

They'll only up the price!

maybe, but there is only so far they can go before the band "snaps" and like the poll tax riots the people will have their say ( though oddly those taxes actually were fairer overall)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Mild winters likely to return as a result of climate change but cold winters still likely as well

Climate change likely to turn UK's weather more extreme

Global trends identified by climate scientists suggest Britain will get more extreme rainfall, and wetter and warmer winters. However scientists cautioned that natural variability will continue to play a big role in determining the UK's weather, so there will continue to be exceptional cold snaps and cool summers.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/69782-weather-in-the-general-media-newspaper-features-etc/?p=2796764

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Wouldn't mind really, as I work outside at least it will feel nice, although getting the van stuck and doing handbrake turns in the snow of 2010 was pretty epic! Although I am a coldie in winter and love the snow, I'd think of the benefits it would bring, such as the mild SST's it will bring to start off the warm up in spring etc. Could be the answer to more storms at least then in the summer. I think I have seen enough mild winters in the past though. The tediousness of going through one of the mildest winters and dullest summers which winter 07 and summer 08 was extreme and was so fr!gg!ng boring. Would not want that again. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

I would build me a boat from the bones and skin of the residents of Woking and sail North East Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Mild winters likely to return as a result of climate change but cold winters still likely as well

Climate change likely to turn UK's weather more extreme

Global trends identified by climate scientists suggest Britain will get more extreme rainfall, and wetter and warmer winters. However scientists cautioned that natural variability will continue to play a big role in determining the UK's weather, so there will continue to be exceptional cold snaps and cool summers.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/69782-weather-in-the-general-media-newspaper-features-etc/?p=2796764

HA HA talk about covering all angles. So in essence , we'll get a big storm every now and then, there will be some flooding from time to time and we'll experience cold winters , warm winters, cool summers and hot summers. 

So to sum up, they have not a clue and are just stating the obvious; wrapping it up like it's something out of the norm.

I

Posted

Mild winters likely to return as a result of climate change but cold winters still likely as wellClimate change likely to turn UK's weather more extreme Global trends identified by climate scientists suggest Britain will get more extreme rainfall, and wetter and warmer winters. However scientists cautioned that natural variability will continue to play a big role in determining the UK's weather, so there will continue to be exceptional cold snaps and cool summers.http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/69782-weather-in-the-general-media-newspaper-features-etc/?p=2796764

The "problem" is the default UK winter climate is mild. After a run of cool/cold winters it is almost inevitable we will return to a more average/mild regime, unless of course other factors (such as solar activity) retain the current trend or truly send us in the freezer for the foreseeable.Mild winters aren't a result of climate change, our winters are mild already and have been for thousands of years. If they were to emphasise "milder" than average then they may have a point.

Posted

The Beijing climate centre model would give us a mild wet winter if its proved correct

The Beijing climate centre model has updated for September and its going for a mild wet winter

Posted Image

Rain fall looks above average in places

Posted Image

850 hpa temperatures are above normal

Posted Image

I'd much rather have mild and wet winter at least we'd have less worries of a drought in 2014 after the low rainfall in Summer and the start of Autumn

Posted

Mild winters likely to return as a result of climate change but cold winters still likely as well Climate change likely to turn UK's weather more extreme  Global trends identified by climate scientists suggest Britain will get more extreme rainfall, and wetter and warmer winters. However scientists cautioned that natural variability will continue to play a big role in determining the UK's weather, so there will continue to be exceptional cold snaps and cool summers. http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/69782-weather-in-the-general-media-newspaper-features-etc/?p=2796764

Lol, I don't where to start with this bit of nonsense!

Posted

The Beijing climate centre model would give us a mild wet winter if its proved correct

The Beijing climate centre model has updated for September and its going for a mild wet winter

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'd much rather have mild and wet winter at least we'd have less worries of a drought in 2014 after the low rainfall in Summer and the start of Autumn

Wasn't this the same model that went for a hot summer in 2012 and a cold blocked winter last year.

Posted

Doesn't mean it will be wrong though Gav.

Indeed it could be right it could be wrong

For now CFS is also backing off but of course that could all change again

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny

19 47 19 63 20 10

my my my i hope you put them numbers on...46 came out instead of 47,you had the rest spot on,cheersPosted ImagePosted Image

Posted

How would you feel if the next winter was the mildest on record and what would you do?

I think it would be disappointing for the site if we were to see one of those late eighties or late nineties winters, not least because it becomes tedious after a while. If most of the country got sunny and dry weather from 'very mild' synoptics then it would not be so bad, but the reality is very wet conditions for the NW especially and generally plenty of drizzle and murk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Lotto numbers for big freezes?

19 47 19 63 20 10

Lotto numbers  25, 12,   20. 13   ,20. 14   and the bonus is 12 inches of snow...

Not the best at history on big freezes so if you want to know the EURO numbers ask someone else...

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

I'd have no problems with it. We've had snow and extremes of cold (on the Ayrshire coast ice days and sub -10C mins are extreme, believe me!) during many winter months recently plus March this year and November 2010. As many have said, it would save the heating bills. If anything I would prefer it to a 'colder than average winter' without snow. Where's the fun in that?

Edited by Duncan McAlister

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

I couldn't care less about heating bills....some things are worth more than money. Big snow, extreme cold,fantastic memories of an epic winter. I'd have it all and sod the heating!

Posted

I couldn't care less about heating bills....some things are worth more than money. Big snow, extreme cold,fantastic memories of an epic winter. I'd have it all and sod the heating!

I must admit, I feel old saying it :( But we have been spoiled for our location in recent years. Big snow and extreme cold would be great but if it were a choice between merely 'colder than average' and exceptionally mild, I'd take the mild as the former would just be a disappointment and a bigger expense.

• Like 1

Posted

We are well on track for this winter to be mildest on record. This past three months I have had about 10 single figure night and 80 double figure nights which is definitely well above average for my area. 

At this exact date the average minimum is 7.5c and right now at 8pm the temperature is 14.5c! 

I have not seen this kind of weather in my area at this time of the year for quite a while and cannot remember the last time it was so long lasting, I do not think that this weather will wane through October like some seem to think, Infact I would say it will take to the end of November for it to go away. The models are all showing strong signals for this warmth and actually picked it up very early. It is very depressing as a winter lover and actually quite annoying as the diurnal ranges are nothing to be excited about. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And what is fun about being trapped under dark drizzly low cloud day in day out? Bills aside it is rather boring. And lets be honest if you are going on about bills so much perhaps your house is too big for alot of you.

Edited by smithyweather

Posted

I think it would be disappointing for the site if we were to see one of those late eighties or late nineties winters, not least because it becomes tedious after a while. If most of the country got sunny and dry weather from 'very mild' synoptics then it would not be so bad, but the reality is very wet conditions for the NW especially and generally plenty of drizzle and murk.

It is already tedious. 

Exactly if all they think about is heating bills then must have pretty boring lives and lets be honest the bills aren't going to be that much higher and maybe they aren't really weather enthusiats. A true weather enthusiast does not care about bills. 

Edited by smithyweather
  • Like 1