Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Who's looking forward to winter ?

itsnowjoke

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

Personally I find November and December the worst months of the year :( mostly they are grey, damp and cheerless. I look forward to January when often it gets drier and the days start getting longer - in my experience more fluffy snow - my favourite is likely then :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

keep up mike! :p

aAll I can say is that great minds thought alike :)
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

"whos' looking forward to winter"?  Do bears crap in the forest?

post-11059-0-69080900-1379402565_thumb.j

Sorry! Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

The public loos at Central Station, Glasgow have adorned the cubicles with panoramas of a forest.....And you do see the odd bear of a chap using them so.....Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Coming up now to what can be the longest 2 month spell of the year (November and December) as these 2 months have the longest nights of year.

Winter fly's by when its mild I find which Is what I like the sooner we get winter over the better

2011 / 2012 and 2012 / 2013 were not bad really only 1 heavy snowfall in my area which brought about 10cm overnight but that cleared pretty quick once the stronger February sun got to work on it

• Like 1

Posted

Coming up now to what can be the longest 2 month spell of the year (November and December) as these 2 months have the longest nights of year.

Um, having longer nights doesn't make the months longer - but from your perspective I knew what you meant!!  But for me it could be Nov,Dec,Jan all year round (!) and it wouldn't be long enough. Work that one out. Only now does it feel like I'm emerging from the misery of what's felt like eternal summer. Yuk. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

im looking forward to it as long as we don't get any mild crap and those crappy cloudy cold day's where nothing happens. I hope winter brings us plenty snow and cold and none of that drisaly crap with temps of 3-5c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Only 95 days and the days start drawing out

Yep not long 12 weeks exactly this Saturday will be the shortest day after this daylight will be heading in the right direction once more

im looking forward to it as long as we don't get any mild crap and those crappy cloudy cold day's where nothing happens. I hope winter brings us plenty snow and cold and none of that drisaly crap with temps of 3-5c.

We are bound to get mild days in winter we almost always do even in the recent cold winters mild days cropped up

Even in winter 09 / 10 the December had around 10 mild days to start the month

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I cannot wait!

Model Output watching    â˜‘

Radar Watching  â˜‘

Lampost Watching  â˜‘

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Yep not long 12 weeks exactly this Saturday will be the shortest day after this daylight will be heading in the right direction once more

We are bound to get mild days in winter we almost always do even in the recent cold winters mild days cropped up

Even in winter 09 / 10 the December had around 10 mild days to start the month

13 weeks until Xmas then, even Dec '10 had a mild week from around 9th-16th in the south, but yeah mild days are guaranteed really, just hope more cold days with snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

The trouble being, that by far the majority of our winter days are like that (the stuff you don't like)

I'd like a cold, crisp winter, with plenty of sunshine and interspersed with snowy events, but the chances of that scenario are very low.

I detest those long spells with murk and no sunshine (or snow) It definitely affects my mood.

Edited by Steve C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

I detest those long spells with murk and no sunshine (or snow) It definitely affects my mood.

It affects my moods as well, Model watching and the ups and downs that go with it ! Posted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer

I always look forward to winter, I generally prefer cold to warmth (although I do love hot dry summers). Although I enjoy cold snowy weather the most, I personally don't mind mild temperatures either, provided that it isn't damp and wet (which is usually the case with any mild spell), and the sunshine and comfortable temperatures can be quite nice. I really can't stand murky mild muck, its just so uneventful and depressing IMO. Of course given the prevailing south-westerly wind, mild wet weather will always predominate during most winters, so we should always expect to see some days (or even weeks) with such weather. I do generally enjoy mild, clear nights, since given the time of years and the length of the nights, its the best time of year for stargazing. If its mild, you don't have to wrap up as much going out. That said, nothing beats a good snowy cold snap (although Big Freezes can get quite tiresome after about a week or two, especially down here where snow is generally not widespread but cold, bitter wind and temperatures often are).

What does really drives me round the bend is the fickle nature of model watching. I know they say the models can't handle the unstable winter weather patterns, and that you should only view general trends, but the highs and lows of each output, and the lack of agreement from different models, can send hopes soaring and crashing in a matter of hours. Its not so much of a problem in summer for me personally, as I don't tend to crave heatwaves, even though I do enjoy them when they occur.

Edited by snowstorm445

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Hope fully the energy companies won't be getting much from me this Winter. Was hoping to turn the heating off proper in March but that dreadful severe cold spell put a stop to that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Hope fully the energy companies won't be getting much from me this Winter. Was hoping to turn the heating off proper in March but that dreadful severe cold spell put a stop to that.

I hope the shareholders are drinking crystal all winter!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I tend not to look forward to winter at this time of year, as I am still in a mindset of hoping to make the most of what daylight/sunshine we have left as the descent into the dark and predominantly cloudy days of late autumn and winter set in.  I tend to start looking forward to winter once the clocks change from BST to GMT and it feels that we've got very little daylight/sunshine left so my thoughts start veering towards snowfalls and frosts.

This isn't the same as being averse to early wintry spells- I would welcome a rare late-September snowfall- the problem is darkness rather than the accompanying cold

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl

I start looking forward to winter in Late July Posted Image

but only because I love the log burner, and the anticipation of Christmas. Once Christmas is over (and this is true I take the tree down boxing day) the wheel has turned for  me,from then on , I am looking  and planning for summer.

I don't forget about spring and autumn, but they are not the key points for me.

probably because for a large part of my adult life,the season's all blurred into one.

• Like 1

Posted

Bah, that cool spell wasn't cold enough to put the heating on. Here's to a record breaking cold spell that last the entire winter, spring and next summer! :-)
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Its very interesting and illuminating how perceptions have changedPosted Image  Just a few years ago people wouldn't be looking forward to winter because of its endless zonality and that (apparentlyPosted Image ) we were supposed to be resigned to a fate of never getting a sub 3C winter month ever again..let alone a sub 3C winter...

Of course both these myths were spectacularly and emphatically crushed and so now it is totally ironic that 3 months of dull easterlies and temperatures around 3C is the new equivalent winter taboo of the previous 'MW' 14C with drizzle and, er, tramline dull south westerlies old tabooPosted Image .

Who would ever have predicted it eh?Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Tamara Road
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm looking forward to lying snow...The increasingly cold, damp, pre-Christmas gloom is something I can quite easily live without.