Local
Radar
Windy?
Sign in to follow this  
ZONE 51

Pets

Pets - what do you have or look after?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Your pets or pets that you look after or own but look after away from home:

• Dog(s)
    • Cat(s)
    • Mouse(s)
    • Horse(s)
    • Rabbit(s)
    • Snake(s)
    • Other reptile(s)
    • Gold fish(s) / other fish(s)
    • Tropical fish(s)
    • Insects(s)
    • Bird(s)
    • No pets
  2. 2. If you live in a small flat what animals as pets do you have? (1 bed or studio)

• Dog(s)
    • Cat(s)
    • Horse(s) ..no I did not think so!
    • Rabbit(s)
    • None
  3. 3. What pet(s) from these two do you prefer/like (please answer even if you do not own or visit any pets)

• Dogs
    • Cats
    • Both
    • Do not wish to answer
  4. 4. If you do not own any pets now are you likely to or be interested in having a pet in the future?

• Yes
    • No

post-11361-0-42159800-1379208010_thumb.j

Hi all, would like to chat about pets! I started this discussion as I wish to get a cat to live in my flat and would like some advice on this. I decided to also do a poll to this thread can call it the pet poll! just a few interest questions(4)

I am currently in a small studio flat a few floors up and have no garden or private communal one, but there is quite a large landing/hallway area, there is also some park/tree area next to the blocks, residents walk their dogs there. I would be interested in advice on cats that do not require a garden or what they call an indoor cat, and also what preparations I need to make in the flat before I look at getting my pet! wouldn't mind a rabbit but don't they poo more? I can imagine though not as smelly!

I would prefer an adult cat but would have a kitten, my work is from home but am looking for work out of home. Thanks. 

Note that results only are public but not who choose what answers.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Poll is showing 100% on the first vote(1 vote) is it not meant to be 1% on 1 vote? if someone could check/fix

this that be great thanks!

--

(I have just added some info to my opening post)

Poll is showing 100% on the first vote(1 vote) is it not meant to be 1% on 1 vote? if someone could check/fix

this that be great thanks!

--

(I have just added some info to my opening post)

No, because 100% of the votes cast so far are for that option!

Your vote is a bit skewed across the sections, for example you can have a horse if you live in a flat (I used to) as that was kept in half livery elsewhere.

As for pets in a flat I have kept (still do) birds, they are OK, as are smaller rodents, fish or reptiles, I also know some small dwelling occupants that have cats, dogs and rabbits (even a chinchilla), it does depend on your rights and options if you are renting though.

I would add that a confined pet will need plenty of attention and something to keep them occupied when your not there etc.

Syrian Hamsters are nice, but short lived, kept well they will see to two/two and a half years of age, the sad part is they spend the first year settling in and calming down the secong year getting used to you and really come into their own in the last 6 months as they are used to you and have learned stuff and are at their cutest and best so if you are sentimental and such you have to accept the harsh reality (as with all pets) when they go.

As for what is best/worse? neither any living thing, plant or animal can give you back in kind what it is given, just make the right choice for the setting they will be in and be prepared to give them your time and attention.

• Like 1

2 'lil budgies here - love to make noise when we're trying to watch anything (film etc.), when we're on the phone, or when we attempt a lie in during summer...

Sadly we must leave them to a friend when we head to Germany soon - don't think it'd do them any good travelling all that way.

We would like a cat ideally one day but the wife is allergic - not sure how we'll get round that!

2 'lil budgies here - love to make noise when we're trying to watch anything (film etc.), when we're on the phone, or when we attempt a lie in during summer...

Sadly we must leave them to a friend when we head to Germany soon - don't think it'd do them any good travelling all that way.

We would like a cat ideally one day but the wife is allergic - not sure how we'll get round that!

I suspect the hair is the problem, so get one of these

Your vote is a bit skewed across the sections, for example you can have a horse if you live in a flat (I used to) as that was kept in half livery elsewhere.

(Quote above shortened)

"If you live in a small flat what animals as pets do you have? (1 bed or studio)"

Cheers for spotting this Jax! It does read as different to what I intended, but of course I meant it to be animal inside of a small flat as a pet. Thanks for your post.

No, because 100% of the votes cast so far are for that option!

Ok thanks I see how it works now. (poll)

• Like 1

Not a problem surely. Get rid of the wife and get a Siamese.

• Like 2

Some cats are perfectly fine staying indoors. In fact some years ago a breeder of Persians refused to sell me one unless I kept it in. Not that I recommend Persians unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

How about a parrot? I have had Spike nearly twenty years although she can be a tad annoying when practicing the smoke alarm. Only recently found that Spike is a she when eggs starting appearing. Bit of shock that. If you do keep a parrot it's essential they have a large cage.

Back to cats cats Maine Coons are an option,

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Parrots are fun too, I know that from the pet shop! I forgot to say that I would prefer short-haired cats, I read on the Battersea cats&dogs home site that it shows if the cat requires a garden or not but very few become available that do not need to venture into gardens or even outdoors. When I get one can I take the cat for a walk on a lead? likely I would not but just asking if this can be done and if people do this! I have seen rabbits on leads, but on TV.

I have had pets but in the family home when a child and teen, had a dog and then cats.

A Devon or Cornish Rex are quite happy indoors. As is a Maine Coon and you could take the latter out for walks as they are as big as some dogs.

Posted Image

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Some are going to be around for a long time too, 37 years and still going strong:

post-6667-0-44589500-1365235117_thumb.jp
  • Like 2

Some are going to be around for a long time too, 37 years and still going strong:

That's some commitment. One of our moggies is now 18 but still behaves, and looks like a kitten!

That's some commitment.

He's pretty good really and lives outside all year round (with a nice thick Rhino horse rug that will go on in the next couple of weeks.)

Can't ride him any more, not just because he's old, but so cantankerous too! 

• Like 2

Is that your coloured gelding or one you know? ( I have nicked the picture as it is a fantastic profile shot ) My family have had horses for years and are on their second skewbald mare, a rescued chestnut mare and a grey pony, all perm loans or saved, they are the same with their other pets, all rescued or re-homed, even used to have a flock of soay sheep they were "given" when the owners split up and had to move.

(Quote above shortened)

"If you live in a small flat what animals as pets do you have? (1 bed or studio)"

Cheers for spotting this Jax! It does read as different to what I intended, but of course I meant it to be animal inside of a small flat as a pet. Thanks for your post.

I was just making the observation and in no way would I want you to think I was being pedantic or such :D just not sure how else I could have worded it.

Good poll/thread BTW as the options are quite varied when you think about it.  Someone I know is into insects and has pet crickets and stick insects.

• Like 1

Is that your coloured gelding or one you know? 

He was a loaner that became part of the family many years ago and is now costing a fortune in Sixteen Plus Mix!

Although I don't own a dog, I always seem to be walking somebody else's beasts!

Still have one duck left as well, but he needs a plastic bird to keep him company (16 years old and still in rude health!)

Edited by Coast
  • Like 2

He was a loaner that became part of the family many years ago and is now costing a fortune in Sixteen Plus Mix!

Although I don't own a dog, I always seem to be walking somebody else's beasts!

Still have one duck left as well, but he needs a plastic bird to keep him company (16 years old and still in rude health!)

Plenty of loaners out there these days (sign of the times).

I used to breed ducks and chickens in my yoof, mainly had indian runners and silky bantams, did have some other rare breeds too (why I go every  year to the rare breeds show at Peterborough show ground).  16 is fantastic age for a duck.

You seem a bit like me and my family when it comes to pets/animals, even when stretched to the limit the offer of one more is never too much.

Over the years I/Family have had Ducks, Chickens, Turkeys, Geese, Sheep, Ferrets, Cats, Dogs, Fish, Mice, Gerbils, Hamsters, Horses, Rabbits, Ponies and on a temp basis some other rarer pets too, once took charge of a snake whilst the owner was on extended leave away from home at the time.

I used to breed ducks and chickens in my yoof, mainly had indian runners and silky bantams, did have some other rare breeds too (why I go every  year to the rare breeds show at Peterborough show ground).  16 is fantastic age for a duck.

You seem a bit like me and my family when it comes to pets/animals, even when stretched to the limit the offer of one more is never too much.

In previous years it was Call Ducks (great pets), Runners Guinea Fowl, Geese and standard chooks for eggs, although the Foxes generally raided things two or three times a month and left carnage.

Currently also have 6 Tortoises, 3 Guinea pigs and several fish - number indeterminate!

In previous years it was Call Ducks (great pets), Runners Guinea Fowl, Geese and standard chooks for eggs, although the Foxes generally raided things two or three times a month and left carnage.

Currently also have 6 Tortoises, 3 Guinea pigs and several fish - number indeterminate!

Ah Call ducks, small and noisy :D

forgot about the Guinea Pigs we also used to have, we did adopt a toise for a while too until its owner turned up (it had been found in the street)

Ah Call ducks, small and noisy 

Not if you stick to males, it's the females that make the noise :winky: 

• Like 1

Not if you stick to males, it's the females that make the noise Posted Image

But I find the males lacking in the egg dept Posted Image

But I find the males lacking in the egg dept Posted Image

The produce seems to have become secondary to just owning a whole farmyard of animals! 

Edited by Coast

The produce seems to have become secondary to just owning a whole farmyard of animals! 

Until the "lion brand" came in, I used to sell duck eggs for 10p each, never bred the water fowl for eating, never did and never will.

Used to catch wild wabbits when I had ferrets too and get 22p each from the local butcher for them.

Had a tame pair of peafowl too for 3 years, that indirectly lead to me getting custody of a flock of geese as the peacock had attacked the gander and he hated everyone, I got his trust through time and fixing his injuries and became the custodian of the entire flock as no one else could get near them but they would follow me blindly.

Edited by Jax