Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

YOUR FAVOURITE ARCHIVED SYNOPTIC CHART

Tom Quintavalle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Now that wasnt far off in a way, was too far north on actual day for a dumping, but got around 9cms, 18th Dec '10 mainly affected west midlands

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Now that wasnt far off in a way, was too far north on actual day for a dumping, but got around 9cms, 18th Dec '10 mainly affected west midlands

Neither was to bad because the Extreme one (the feb 10 one) still ended up with some sort of a GL height rise if a half baked one that didn't shoot right up but remember it well into low res, usually one of those on the GFS 276 ends up with a Bartlett and a powershouse Jetstream on the actual verification charts, the dec 10 kept correcting southwards and we missed out on any trough / frontal snow but did get 3 inches of convective heavy snow showers the previous night.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Posted Image

We had a low pressure move up from the SW on the 18th, us South Central folk did very well from this because upto that point the NOV/DEC spell of 2010 had not delivered fully, only a few dustings. (y)

post-15543-0-37484000-1379705232_thumb.g

post-15543-0-01911100-1379705273_thumb.j

post-15543-0-72339400-1379705273_thumb.j

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Have to say this chart from 6th January 2010 at Midnight really shows how deep the low over Southern England was with Home Counties really in firing line we had 25cm from Snow falling between Tuesday evening around 4pm and Wednesday at around midday. 

post-15543-0-21748100-1379705651_thumb.g

Edited by Mark Neal.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Have to say this chart from 6th January 2010 at Midnight really shows how deep the low over Southern England was with Home Counties really in firing line we had 25cm from Snow falling between Tuesday evening around 4pm and Wednesday at around midday. 

Again, this area too far north, most of my snow was on tues 5th, Wed 6th just a few light flurries, ended up with 8 cms ish

although places further north like stockport got more than a foot

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Yes, I was in Salford and missed out in feb 09 so this was my biggest fall (6 inches) since 1996 so was elated but slightly tinged with disappointment as the trough actually deepened moving over land and the south got even more, if only I had been here then though because having said that, there was drifts 6 foot high and everywhere was cut off.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

This time a sudden abrupt change, from a rain to snow event, in Dec.2009

DEC.22nd 2009.

Posted Image

Remember this event very well, it occurred on the Monday before Xmas and caused chaos on the London road network, during the evening rush-hour.

After a spell of very cold weather, with some snow, slightly milder air had pushed into southern most counties and the London area, overnight Sun into Mon.

On Mon 22nd the temp. rose to about 3c/4c in the Croydon area and on getting to work at lunchtime, I noticed a little rain in the air, mixed with a bit of wintriness too. It then turned mostly dry, for a couple of hours before rain started again around 3.30 or so.

Slightly colder air that had been sitting to the N and W of London, gradually seeped back S and E again.

Around this time, reports started coming through of sleet/snow falling on the S.E.Regional Thread, notably from the higher parts of  the Surrey/Kent/London border, Biggin Hill etc.

More and more reports started coming in from this area, from locations with less elevation, and around 4 p.m, noticed the heavy rain was starting to turn to snow, outside the office window here in Croydon. Within a few minutes the changeover was complete and the roads soon turned white, traffic chaos then ensued. My daughter left our office at around 4.30, as the snow had begun in earnest. Travelling in her car, she was to move only about a quarter of a mile in an hour and finally got home at about 8, a journey of some 5 miles. The roads were absolutely gridlocked, with many cars and some buses abandoned and left strewn across the road.

I left the office myself at around 6.30 and finally arrived home at about 10.30, a journey of 9 to10 miles, with the last 3 miles being completed on foot, as a couple of jacknifed buses had closed the main road, just north of Bromley (Kent/London border.)

Many of the hills in this area, Anerley, Corkscrew, Gravel, etc (for those of you that know them) were all closed due to the number of vehicles that had been abandoned and jacknifed, whilst trying to negotiate them.

Although only a couple of inches had fallen, the sudden onset of the snow, just in time for the evening rush-hour, made this event a memorable one but for all the wrong reasons, as many commuters had their own horror story to tell, re. their journeys home that night in the London area.

Not from my pov though! Posted Image

A great rain to snow event!

Thanks again, for all your contributions, keep 'em coming.

Tom.

Edited by TomBR7
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Again, this area too far north, most of my snow was on tues 5th, Wed 6th just a few light flurries, ended up with 8 cms ish

although places further north like stockport got more than a foot

You can imagine my shock when waking up to that, I couldn't distinguish the road from the pavement or people's gardens on the road as so much snow had fallen and it snowed more or less all day giving a foot or more of level snow. Truly awful IMO

Edited by Gaz1985
  • Like 1

Posted

Two thunder-snow events now.

28th JAN.2004.

Posted Image

An active cold front arrived from the north in time for the early evening rush hour. Started off as a brief period of cold rain, then rapid changeover to snow and incredible to view, as a wall of snow advanced from the north. Snow soon settled and was accompanied by 4 flashes of pink lightning and booming thunder. Chaos on the roads, soon ensued.

2nd FEB.2009.

Posted Image

Over 6" of snow from this Thames streamer event and some gun-shot thunder in the early hours of the morning, places slightly further west had around 9", including my work location of Croydon, a substantial fall for that locale.

Have posted it before but well worth seeing the lightning/thunder captured on a BBC News24 report again, filmed near Dartford.

Tom.

Remember this fantastically wellTom. 5 trofs moved down from the north, one after the other. amazing thundersnow with blue flashes everywhere. the most dynamic snowfall that I can ever remember seeing

• Like 1

Posted

What fantastic Bartlett pressure this was pushing down on us all, how magnificent this would be if we got it this Winter Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Gaz1985
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

What fantastic Bartlett pressure this was pushing down on us all, how magnificent this would be if we got it this Winter Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

i wonder how many people would be moaning about these charts today and rightly calling for an early spring...and how many would have been saying there's still 4-6 weeks of winter left and there was still plenty to play for?

• Like 1

Posted

i wonder how many people would be moaning about these charts today and rightly calling for an early spring...and how many would have been saying there's still 4-6 weeks of winter left and there was still plenty to play for?

True and that Bartlett got going even earlier into January than those charts I posted, as you might know it ended up as one of the mildest Winters ever for the UK

• Like 1

Posted

True and that Bartlett got going even earlier into January than those charts I posted, as you might know it ended up as one of the mildest Winters ever for the UK

it was the winter without sun up in these parts, thoroughly depressing and thankfully ( hopefully ) never to be seen again in my lifetime. I'm praying for the most brutal winter for cold and snow for the last 400 years, fingers crossed. :-)
  • Like 2

Posted

Posted Image

By far the worst snow I have ever witnessed from this chart, in central scotland, slap bang in the middle between edinburgh and glasgow. From 5pm at night until 11am the next morning, over 25 inches of snow fell with drifts meters deep stretching up to the rooftops of the houses and completely burying transit vans. Only snow I've seen coming close to that (for a single night event) was March 2013

Posted Image

We got about 18-20 inches from this from 7pm at night until about 6am the next morning, again with fairly significant drifts of up to 8 feet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Posted Image

This dumped extra-ordinary snow amounts in South Wales and swathes of Midlands.  It was 2 feet level with 10 feet drifts waking up on the morning of the 9th.

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted

Posted Image

This dumped extra-ordinary snow amounts in South Wales and swathes of Midlands. It was 2 feet level with 10 feet drifts waking up on the morning of the 9th.

BFTP

And on the 10th England recorded its lowest ever temperature: -26.1C in Shropshire.
  • Like 1

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Gaz1985, September 25, 2013 - Double post
Hidden by Gaz1985, September 25, 2013 - Double post

And on the 10th England recorded its lowest ever temperature: -26.1C in Shropshire.

I bet somewhere got a couple degrees lower than that where there wasn't a weather station, probably even beat Altnaharra's record. Wouldn't it be ironic if the lowest temperature in the UK ever was actually in England and not Scotland.....but obviously unobserved. I think it is certainly possible 

Edited by Gaz1985