Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

YOUR FAVOURITE ARCHIVED SYNOPTIC CHART

Tom Quintavalle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

A couple from 1996

Heaviest snow I have seen on an easterly flow

The snow showers exploded into life that afternoon.

The one that delivered most for me during that year was the slider, I wont post it because we have already had it - 6 inches from it!

I gather that hit the North West coast nicely and blackpool had a foot but didn't reach Manchester.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I'd thought about 1985 already, so I am pleased to see that our Chis(el)hurst thread host has posted on it here alreadyPosted Image  It was a classic period of weather for sure. I also remember the snow of the end of the week and weekend of 7/8/9/10 Feb. 

The weekend before I had been on a lovely cosy break in the pretty countryside of the Cotswolds. The weather was actually very mild and dry. This was the chart for that time

Posted Image

However the highly amplified pattern gave a clue as to the changes that were going to occur during that week as another phase of -AO downwelling was underway and this was fully evident by the 6th with pressure falling to the south west with the start of undercutting of a renewed swathe of cold air arriving from the north and north east. This set up the beginning of the classic battleground that Tom refers to above. There was just one winner!Posted Image

Posted Image

Stange how the memory can work, but I actually remember I was at evening college midweek that week Posted Image and the wind was starting to back into the SE and then the E with dewpoints falling and cold rain indicated to turn to sleet and wet snow. The undercut is indeed clearly shown here as we head into the Thursday of that week. Its funny how joining net weather has taught me what I saw happening back then as the wind was swinging into the east. At the time I just excitedly remembering the forecasters on the telly starting to talk about snow coming - but I wouldn't have had the faintest clue about dewpoints and downwelling and undercutting etc back thenPosted Image

Posted Image

The wintry ppn died out for a while..but then late on the 8th a renewed front disrupted from the main trough to the SW and created the conditions that Tom outlined above.

Posted Image

Much fun I remember was had in powder snow that weekendPosted Image It made quite a contrast from the conditions of just a week before. The Sunday 10th I remember going to a sports event in the Basingstoke area under blue skies after the snow had cleared overnight Saturday with blowing and glittering powder snow and a biting easterly windPosted Image

These bright, sunny bitterly cold conditions lasted into the new working week

Posted Image

Thereafter, a gradual rise in temperature took place by day under sunny skies with very frosty nights. Snow cover gradually disappeared, but traces were still left in the sunshine a week or so after the snowstormPosted Image

Edited by Tamara Road
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

A couple from 1996

Heaviest snow I have seen on an easterly flow

Posted Image

The snow showers exploded into life that afternoon.

Posted Image

I happen to remember that 1996 event as well...I was going for an important job interview on the 19th and so took a pair of court shoes with me for the interview, whilst taking a pair of glammy snow wellies with my smart interview outfit to get through the snow to the office where the interview was held Posted Image There was an almighty snow squall on the way there and it went really dark with some thundersnow mixed in. The visibility was so bad that I and all the other motorists had to pull into the side of the road till the shower passed over.

I got to the office car park (eventually) where my interview was, and changed my shoes in the car for my wellies to get through the short shuffle through the snow into the building, and then put the shoes on again quickly before the guy who was going to interview me arrivedPosted Image

Edited by Tamara Road
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

This chart is from an infamous blizzard, that affected southern (and mostly southwest) England, in March 1891.

The funny thing is if you google 'March 1891 blizzard', one of the first items is something Weather History (must have been Mr Data then) posted about the event, on this very site, back in 2007.Posted Image

post-11059-0-73543900-1379422936_thumb.p

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Quoute: "I'd thought about 1985 already, so I am pleased to see that our Chis(el)hurst thread host has posted on it here alreadyPosted Image  It was a classic period of weather for sure. I also remember the snow of the end of the week and weekend of 7/8/9/10 Feb."

Many thanks to Miss Road, for that marvellous account of the Feb.85 spell, and in typical eloquent style from our Beestings correspondent, I must say.

Tom.Posted Image

Edited by TomBR7
  • Like 2

Posted

A nice little gem that gave snow and cover just before Christmas.

Posted Image

I do remember the run up to that xmas, almost every day there was snow, heavy rain turned to wet snow with massive flakes giving a covering around teatime on the tuesday night in the west midlands, I think places in the North Midlands got a big fall as it turned to snow earlier and around 6 inches in places like Leek occurred, another inch fall on the Thursday night before a very cold but dry xmas, another inch and a half a few days before New years.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I feel we dodged a bullet with this event, which gave a very severe windstorm over France - winds gusted to 105mph in Paris. I've included the Wikipedia link which shows that some were forecasting the storm to affect further north (some of us) - I can also remember being slightly concerned, although our forecasters always said it would likely be further south.

The Meteociel chart doesn't look quite right here, as the depression was deeper than suggested at the time of the chart. In fact it just looks like a trough.

post-11059-0-30173400-1379444814_thumb.p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_Lothar_and_Martin

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

This is a good one for me, I think in Oxfordshire this was the moment we changed from having no snow, virtually ever, to the way the weather has been in the last few years.  (new poster, so hope this pic appears!!) This channel low dumped Wantage with 5 inches, and our office was closed - trouble was we had an international meeting - one guy coming from Germany!  So I braved the 7 mile journey (and abandoned my car) German guy having no problems with his journey naturally...health and safety meant we had to leave the office and adjourn to the pub!  We're really not cut out for it, we british are we?  And it snowed another 4 inches the next night!

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Not sure if I already posted this but here goes, what a good spell this was 2 years ago, great pressure Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted

Not sure if I already posted this but here goes, what a good spell this was 2 years ago, great pressure Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes, amazingly enough, you did post it!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I think we get the point Gaz........ by any chance do you hate winter and cold?

0n my ignore list!!!!! going to be a wind up this winter

• Like 3

Posted

I remember watching that forecast and was very excited.  However, the reality was moderate snow showers Sunday afternoon but no settling away from grass and cars, nothing overnight and a few sleet showers on Monday!  So overall a big let down.

• Like 1

Posted

Some good charts from winter 85 and also the jan 96 chart.

Jan/Feb 85 were notably snowy cold months - sometimes forgotton compared to the likes of Dec 81 - Jan 82, Feb 86 and Jan 87, but they certainly hold there own esteem against these four months.

Winter 95/96 delivered some superb wintry charts, late Dec 95 with the polar low on christmas eve and the strong arctic ridge thereafter. Jan 21-28th with classic easterly airstream. Feb 5/6 96 with classic battleground chart. Feb 18-20 classic arctic northeasterlies and another battleground chart on 12th March 96 - we were spoiled!!

• Like 3

Posted

Some good charts from winter 85 and also the jan 96 chart.

Jan/Feb 85 were notably snowy cold months - sometimes forgotton compared to the likes of Dec 81 - Jan 82, Feb 86 and Jan 87, but they certainly hold there own esteem against these four months.

Winter 95/96 delivered some superb wintry charts, late Dec 95 with the polar low on christmas eve and the strong arctic ridge thereafter. Jan 21-28th with classic easterly airstream. Feb 5/6 96 with classic battleground chart. Feb 18-20 classic arctic northeasterlies and another battleground chart on 12th March 96 - we were spoiled!!

Yes, whilst those aforementioned year / months were not as great as the events right at the top of my list, they were still excellent snowy events, I think the nearer to the present they were, the more they are appreciated as there was a long gap until 09 and 10, in other words 85/86 may not have been fully appreciated because they were in the mix of a run of stonkingly good winters synoptically, 96 was a little more appreciated but the last few much more as we didn't have a really great winter between 97 and 09.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Posted Image

Will never forget this little gem, snow showers had been predicted later that evening, remember finishing school and walking home with my mate and we started to soft hail and snowflake mix and out of no where we had a crack of thunder with it. However after this had past we got real proper treat!

An absolute beast was heading straight for us from the North, the whole sky exploding with huge Cumulonimbus, pure Orange and pink and grey, lookd unreal! Everyone could see what was coming, but out of nowhere this beautiful double CG came shooting out, and then there was very frequent thunder and lightning (Lightning was almost blood red and purple) I was like WHAT THE HELL IS THIS! Waiting for snow all day, instead a huge thunderstorm exploded into life out of no where, but I wasnt complaining. Thinking Ill take this any day if theres no snow!

Now here was the best thing, as soon as it arrived, full on out of no where got hit full on by blizzard like conditions, with massive massive snowflakes bigger than 50ps ( It was proper snow 100%). As this was happening, thunder and lightning was every 30 seconds to a minute, but thunder was so so loud it was crazy! Lightning red and purple still too. This lasted for a good 45 minutes to an hour. Was amazing to experience, we ended up with 2 inches of snow after it had cleared too ( BONUS)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

good snow days for me as well, 3-5th Feb, Wed 5th Feb, forecast didnt pick up on my heavy snow for 3 hours, and Xmas day '04

Edited by IrememberAtlantic252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Now an archive chart of an early season snowfall, in my area, from Dec.1995.

DEC.5th 1995

Posted Image

Posted Image

After weekend rain, cold air started to advance from the east on Mon.4th. I remember Tues 5th very well, as my partner and I had to take our cats to the vets to be neutered. As we ventured outside with our cat baskets, the cold continental air took us by surprise and the cats didnt look too impressed either, think I noticed a little wintriness in the air already, as a light wintry shower passed over. We dropped the cats off at the vets, around 9 or so and I noticed the clouds were already taking on the appearance of something much more wintry to come, give it a few hours. Sure enough by lunchtime the first snow shower began, fairly short-lived but the horizon suggested something much heavier, further into the afternoon. The snow showers then got much more intense and prolonged. My partner and I left around 4 p.m. to collect our cats, after their ops, with around 2 inches of snow on the ground and the journey to Beckenham (Kent/London border), took place in the heaviest snow of the day. Our cats looked even less impressed with the outside world, than they had done, when they'd left home in the morning but we soon had them back in the warm, Indoors. The snow showers gradually died out in the early evening, leaving just over 2 inches on the ground.

I think the Meto had been a little caught out by the amount of snow that had fallen, the Countryfile forecast, on that Sunday, suggested only a few wintry showers in eastern districts by Tuesday but they caught up eventually by Mon eve/Tues morn, with a much more wintry looking forecast.

This was almost certainly a Thames streamer event and the angle of flow had crucially turned to an ENE, always a good sign in this area, in certain synoptic set-ups, if its snowfall you're looking for. Below is that Countryfile forecast, with one from a day or so later tagged on the end, no doubt one of Kevins', thanks WH. Posted Image

Tom.

Edited by TomBR7
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Posted Image

This is one of mine because of the experience of cold conditions and getting even colder and a great time which won't be experienced b me again like that as time takes hold and parents get beyond doing it.  Christmas 1995 I went back to Swansea to spend it with my dad for a few days.  It was really cold on Christmas Day about 2c maxima and particularly at night where it was well below zero.  Boxing Day morning we had had some light snow overnight but it was really cold, about 0c to 1c maxima by midday.  Traditional day for us we went up to the social club in Penlan [about 650ft asl] bewteen 12 and 2-30.  We came out about 3pm, to go back for dinner and I was amazed that it had got even colder, noticeably so too was the factor as it was really cold when we got in to the club and I remarked to my dad that it had got much colder.  It was sub zero and reading was -2.5c at home, magical feeling, another Xmas style dinner and lots of wine to go into and a thaw out!!....awesome, double digit minuses were widespread overnight for several nights.  As mentioned in past years, its not the snow that's necessary for me but the cold and synoptic set up.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 4