Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 8th September onwards 2013

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

There are some dark clouds around but nothing thundery.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well the last shower got the rainfall up to 2.4mm peak rate 100mm per hour.

Posted

Very heavy rain falling here at the moment accompanied by rumbles of thunder and occasional lightning.  The worst of this seems to have gone out to sea though, but a potent enough cell nonetheless :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

It looks like Lincolnshire is the place to be today - for a change Posted Image

Posted

That cell South of Grimsby looks real potent on the radar... 

Just about cleared now Chezzie.  There might have been two cells as there appeared to be additional activity to my west as it was passing away SE-wards :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

There are some potent(ish) showers over Lancashire that will likely bring some patches of drizzle here this evening, which is a pity as I fancied a walk.

I'm a bit disappointed really, we seem to have missed everything and it has remained dry. Wouldn't normally bother but I can't storm chase as my mobile internet dongle is still not fixed and so was relying on something coming to me for a change. I shall have to buy another dongle for next season. I thought that maybe I will get myself an iPad for Christmas but I am unsure how reliable they are for internet on the move as my O2 Samsung mobile phone is next to useless out and about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Two huge anvils out North/East of me - look to be  losing some shape now, but one was circular with an overshooting top. They're somewhat obscured with detritus from my current location, but got some great views on the way home.

Did anybody in Essex see these?

Posted

There are some potent(ish) showers over Lancashire that will likely bring some patches of drizzle here this evening, which is a pity as I fancied a walk.

I'm a bit disappointed really, we seem to have missed everything and it has remained dry. Wouldn't normally bother but I can't storm chase as my mobile internet dongle is still not fixed and so was relying on something coming to me for a change. I shall have to buy another dongle for next season. I thought that maybe I will get myself an iPad for Christmas but I am unsure how reliable they are for internet on the move as my O2 Samsung mobile phone is next to useless out and about.

One of those just scraped here,.... and, like yesterday, looked ominous on approach, but amounted to nothing more than 10 minutes of moderate rainPosted Image 

And no, they were not electrified, this is Lancashire not Lincolnshire Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Two huge anvils out North/East of me - look to be  losing some shape now, but one was circular with an overshooting top. They're somewhat obscured with detritus from my current location, but got some great views on the way home.

Did anybody in Essex see these?

Think these are now decaying, although difficult to see. Repeat of yesterday - all mouth no trousers clouds.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Had a nice little thunderstorm about an hour ago. drove up to my vantage point and saw 10+ strikes and some very low scud, felt like i could reach up and touch it!

Brilliant year for storms this year, makes up for the drought over the past 4 years :D

Guest William Grimsley

One of those just scraped here,.... and, like yesterday, looked ominous on approach, but amounted to nothing more than 10 minutes of moderate rainPosted Image

And no, they were not electrified, this is Lancashire not Lincolnshire Posted Image

That is pretty much the same as what happened here. A moderate rain shower was coming in from the W. The shower had a lovely anvil but underneath there was only a few cumulus congestus clouds. Then, the cloud grew into a cumulonimbus cloud. I was getting quite excited at this stage. All the shower gave was heavy rain.

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Best convection of the day going up only just now! Not the best photo but WOW, heard a rumble of thunder :D

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Some decent lightning activity just off the North-East coast at the moment,i can see the cloud tops lighting up every 30 seconds or so even from my location well inland.

Must be pretty good right on the coast at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Thunder and lightning here at the moment, the rain is light at the minute but after fridays rain we have had enough for one week.

Great to see the sky lighting up cant remember the last time i seen lightning at night.

Edited by seabreeze86
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frightning Lightning !!

Its superb from here !!

Edited by DH764
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Never seen thunderstorms coming off the North sea like that before, lets hope they can do the same in winter with -10 uppers :p

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Showers have reached here now - no longer electrified sadly

Posted

About 2.30pm I was out on Whaley Moor and saw the darkening sky over Kinder with occasional rumbles of thunder, got absolutely soaked through but the storm missed here and seemed to head down the valley between Hayfield and Chapel before fading away sferics wise. Certainly wasn't expecting that when I set out in blue skies.