Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your central heating on yet ?

stewfox

Posted

The radiators here at work have creaked into life for the first time this season, this morning. I've just gone 'round and turned all the thermostats off and opened some windows before anybody gets in!

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

The radiators here at work have creaked into life for the first time this season, this morning. I've just gone 'round and turned all the thermostats off and opened some windows before anybody gets in!

I'm sure they'll thank you for that!

No radiators on in our office and it was 19.8c on arrival now rising fast. Wish my ruddy house would heat up like this place does! Although with the unsealed windows you can feel that NWly racing round your feet...

Posted

I'm sure they'll thank you for that!

I get some schtick for it and then they all put their company fleeces on. I try and temper it by saying how healthy it is to have a flow of fresh air and how I'm helping the company productivity by not sealing the place up when people are sneezing and coughing all around the offices.

Mind you, the amount of absenteeism through hypothermia and pneumonia is incredible!! :lol: 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, winter snow.

I still haven't put it on here. And really can't see me turning it on just yet, despite the chillier nights. Conservatory still gets toastie on sunny afternoons, and that helps keep the temperature up in the house.

I mentioned this in the south-east thread a couple of days ago; didn't put it on until late October in 2011, and early October last year. So I really, really don't want to weaken and put it on in September this year if I can help it! (Looks as if this should be easier once the next few days are out of the way. So I'm determined to hold off!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

The good lady puts the heating on, I wait til she isn't looking and turn the thermostat thing below the click thing.

Chillier mornings here recently and its been put on to keep a 5 month old baby warm.

Otherwise would have been happy to keep it off until October, nothing worse than a stuffy centrally heated house, stifling

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24107609

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

The good lady puts the heating on, I wait til she isn't looking and turn the thermostat thing below the click thing.

Chillier mornings here recently and its been put on to keep a 5 month old baby warm.

Otherwise would have been happy to keep it off until October, nothing worse than a stuffy centrally heated house, stifling

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24107609

That I do agree with - I really don't like the dry, stuffy air of a centrally heated building. But then neither do I like freezing to death. Such is the pain of the colder 3/4 of the year... the ease of all windows open and it being nice & warm seem a lifetime away already...

Posted

That's the spirit!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I need to circulate the heat from mission control to the rest of the house. Pity warm air doesn't sink.

This is where forced air has an advantage over radiators...Canadian houses dont have radiators but air vents like in your car in each room...when you turn the furnace on (no combi boilers) it blows warm air through these vents. You can warm a house to the required temperature very very quickly..often i dont have the heating on during the day even in the depths of winter when its -20c outside esp if i am at work..sometimes i have come home and the temp of the house is only 5 or 6c...turn the heating on and it will take less than an hour to warm the whole house up to 21c.

Posted

Forced air sounds so much better - wish I had that!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Have you noticed how cold people always ask for the window seat and then complain if anybody open it's despite the office walls glowing red with the heat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

A big fire on ATM, central heating will come on for a few hours later on. A very good indication of how cold the house is.....what is the current position of the cats? Curled up on a sheepskin on the rocking chair....next to the fire. Bless. Temp in sitting room is 15.5, but the fire just got lit about 30 mins ago. Give it another half hour and a few more logs and I'll be fine!

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 1

Posted

Sunny today so office has shot up to 24c and we can open the window again - so much better!

17.3c at home and falling so fire on again tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

No central heating on but its getting dam chilly in the back room now (north facing so no sun) think the fire may be going on at some point this evening to take the chill off

Once this dam wind dies down it will warm up again in here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i did put mines on cuppal of day's ago because the kids started fieling the chill and the 1year old isn't fieling too well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

still have window open at night, very hot in the night, but cold in the morning when i close window

• Like 1

Posted

Less chilly out tonight so got house up to 20c with fire on half power. 

Looks like we can switch off weekend onwards- hurrah!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Still not had the heating on since about April, my relatives have but I'm a tougher nut to crack haha, plus I don't want my nosey upstairs neighbours to benefit from any heat coming from my flat Posted Image

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted

I've only got Storage heaters and three oil filled radiators ( two of which I bought in the summer before they jack up the price) in my flat. The last time the heating was on was back in mid April. At least with the oil filled ones (the one I bought when I moved in) the cost is very cheap, especially on a pre-paid meter.

I know a couple of nights this week have been nippy, but lots of blankets and an old t-shirt do the trick, plus cuddles and warm drinks before bed.

Aside from the last two years in a tower block we lived in from the ages of two to eight, my last property (I did a six months stint and the heating was on the last two weeks I was there - Oct 20th to Nov 4th) and where I lived in Coventry from 2005-2006, all my properties have NOT had central heating so I know how to survive. The difference with this one is there is no lovely gas fire in the living room Posted Image

On the other end, I've not put a fan on at all this summer! Windows wide open and cool drinks plus water did the trick!

Long may it continue not putting the heating on!!!

Edited by nn2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Still not had the heating on since about April, my relatives have but I'm a tougher nut to crack haha, plus I don't want my nosey upstairs neighbours to benefit from any heat coming from my flat Posted Image

when i had an apartment in west London i never put my heating on once even when it was biter outside..i was on the third floor so benefited from heating of the communal areas and apartments below and next to me...paid for it the summer though was like a heat box

Posted

when i had an apartment in west London i never put my heating on once even when it was biter outside..i was on the third floor so benefited from heating of the communal areas and apartments below and next to me...paid for it the summer though was like a heat box

Like the opposite problem I've been having - gorgeous in the few weeks of warm weather we've had in the last 5 years but terrible in the frequent cool or cold weather!

Cycling can be done in t-shirt all day today so we're back over the 'cold line'. Although still gas fire needed to warm this place up a bit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

There's a rule in my family's house that the heating never goes on until the 1st November, with the exception of I think it was the end of October 2008 following a fairly cheap winter the year before for use of heating.

As a student in a student house, well...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Yeah that's the thing - people upstairs benefit from heat rising in Winter, and yes it was hot in this flat during the Summer, I don't think I got a proper night sleep in a month during the hot weather in July, my bedroom faces east so it heated up rapidly during the early morning and the bedroom stayed very warm all day even after the sun moved and then it shined on the back of the flat during the afternoon so it made all the flat very warm. I woke up every morning sweating like a nutjob (No air con, must of been even worse on the top floor with the roof!) but I enjoyed the sun nontheless, it was a good Summer this year.

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted

You know I've almost forgotten what its like to be hot when trying to sleep... literally the last time was Jan 2011 in Barbados when I attempted sleep without air con (we gave up!). Before that it'd be 2006 I think back in our old house in that lovely summer. Do remember it distinctly as a kid (my bedroom caught sun until 9:30pm and was well insulated) and my dad telling me to just lie still... 

On moving from here I might be in for a shock come any warm weather... Still it'll be nice the other 10 months of the year at least!