Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your central heating on yet ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Turned it on briefly when the temp was 15.7C this morning for half n hour. Now back off again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Nope don't intend to yet either indoor temperature is 17.5c at the moment in the room I'm in which is just fine.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Heating is on for the second time today for an hour each time.

currently 16.6c in house which although I know isn't cold it feels chilly because I've become used to the warmth this summer.

Posted

Nah. I've had most of the windows open all afternoon and it's still over 20C (that's modern flats for you). I hate putting the heating on before November. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Fire on when I got up then turned it off whilst I was out. Got in at 3pm and turned on the fire again on level 2 then throttled back as room settled at 20.5c. 

No way I'm letting it fall to 17c like some of you say you're doing - that'd be fine if I was running around decorating or cleaning none stop, but sitting on the pc for many hours at that temp would result in frozen hands, nose & feet - and no jumper will fix that!

And with such a low temp when I went to bed the place would become intolerable by morning (it'll be pretty grim anyway if I don't set the heating which I don't intend to do yet - no doubt a lonnnnnng hot shower in the morning will follow!).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Nothing on today, even though it was cold, it didn't feel too cold. Certainly not with the sun in the afternoon.

I turned it on yesterday evening though; strong winds and clear skies = brrrr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Still no need to turn the heating on, although was semi tempted to lit the fire yesterday evening.

Not lighting the fire didnt generate any complaints from the other household members so was justified in not doing so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I had my little convection fan heater on last night for about 5 mins as I had just come down from having a shower, but once I had adjusted to the ambient temp was fine, and sat watching a film on C4. IIRC the human body can only feel/notice/detect ambient temp changes of 4oC or more, anyone feel free to correct me on that if I am wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

An old article but an interesting one on this subject:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5372296.stm

I know indoor temps <20c are only any good when doing a lot of physical activity or when you've just got in. Sitting around for several hours at 16c? Noooo... same goes when you sit in the pub garden on what was a nice day but it cools and you end up frozen at 17c!

Posted

An old article but an interesting one on this subject:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5372296.stm

I know indoor temps <20c are only any good when doing a lot of physical activity or when you've just got in. Sitting around for several hours at 16c? Noooo... same goes when you sit in the pub garden on what was a nice day but it cools and you end up frozen at 17c!

Interesting...

24C - top range of comfort
21C - recommended living room temperature
Less than 20C - death risk begins
18C - recommended bedroom temperature
16C - resistance to respiratory diseases weakened
12C - more than two hours at this temperature raises blood pressure and increases heart attack and stroke risk
5C - Significant risk of hypothermia
Source: West Midlands Public Health Observatory

21oC recommended but IIRC did the gov and all say turn it down to like 18oC?

Posted

Yeah they often say 'turn it down 1c to save xxx pounds' although 18c is on the cool side for the living room.

Sitting at 17-18c certainly doesn't feel comfortable after a while and also it tends to make you hunch shoulders/tighten yourself up to try to keep warm which does your back no good whatsoever when working on a computer. And of course blood heads to your core leaving the hands/feet/nose icy cold. 

I'd not considered the blood clotting angle before though - now I shall certainly stick to ~21c in living room (not that it was in question really!). 18c in bedroom will be tricky as all the heat heads upstairs anyway!

Posted

Yeah they often say 'turn it down 1c to save xxx pounds' although 18c is on the cool side for the living room.

Sitting at 17-18c certainly doesn't feel comfortable after a while and also it tends to make you hunch shoulders/tighten yourself up to try to keep warm which does your back no good whatsoever when working on a computer. And of course blood heads to your core leaving the hands/feet/nose icy cold. 

I'd not considered the blood clotting angle before though - now I shall certainly stick to ~21c in living room (not that it was in question really!). 18c in bedroom will be tricky as all the heat heads upstairs anyway!

I like 21oC for the lounge, but that is why I do not heat the rest of the house as it needs to be cooler (like the bedroom) elsewhere.

This winter will be interesting as I do not normally heat the spare room, my new art den...hummmmmmmm

Posted

Had a fire in the evenings for the last week

Not been that cold but it feels miserable with an empty grate now it's getting darker, the only problem is you feel it colder in the other rooms

Living in a 200 year old cottage we get nowhere near the indoor temps some of you guys talk about , think I need to sort a few of the draughts out Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I think it varies from person to person to be honest I mean I highly doubt those little eskimo's have a constant living room temperature in their igloo of 21c Posted Image

Joking aside though I feel the cold like your self and can feel chilly in 17c if I don't have a jumper on but then I have a friend who literally wears a t-shirt and jeans all year round, only wearing a thin cardigan during the very coldest spells of winter when outside. He is slim and fairly fit but for years myself and others just cant believe how comfortable he can be in such low temperatures.

Posted

I have way too many life wounds and breaks to miss the fact when it turns cold/damp, even now it is telling and we are not there yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

No.  The heating will not go on until late November or December and that will be depending on outside temperatures. I'm in a 110 year old house with the old windows still in, i cannot afford to heat it, so the later the better. It's 17.7C in this room at t he moment and that's with the windows open, more than warm enough! :)

Posted

Thing with me is I'll be last one to put a coat on and first to take it off when walking around (but then I do walk very fast!). Cycling its around 13c upwards I don't need anything but t-shirt/trousers.

But sitting in one place not moving is a whole different thing - especially after a few hours. I need >20c for that - even in a jumper. Even more the case if I'm hungry or not had a hot cuppa in a while.

Since I don't do much cycling/jogging/fast walking in my living room thus 21c is the aim! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

No chance of it coming on down here in Falmouth for a very long time and to be honest, if its a more typical winter, I may not need it on at all. Posted Image

Right on the coast, night time temps are well into the teens most nights. Anywhere W of Newquay seems to really hold on to the Atlantic influence here. :D

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Joking aside though I feel the cold like your self and can feel chilly in 17c if I don't have a jumper on but then I have a friend who literally wears a t-shirt and jeans all year round, only wearing a thin cardigan during the very coldest spells of winter when outside. He is slim and fairly fit but for years myself and others just cant believe how comfortable he can be in such low temperatures.

I didn't know that you knew me!

Posted

I suppose I should try it to make sure all the radiators are bled or something more untoward has happened since the system was last on. 

But it won't be coming on fully until the day I have to scrape ice off the inside of the double glazing....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Inside temperature was only 18.8c.this morning at 07:20...Still have not put central heating on.. Trying to put it off until October .With every other day this week being wet then there is a big temptation to put the thermostat up...Until the week after next...

Posted

no its broken sods law really.

you broke sods law!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Needed again this morning 15.2C downstairs. :)