Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your central heating on yet ?

stewfox

Posted

Gone mad and treated myself to an electric blanket ! 60 watts for an hour or two will not break the bank . I've had my little log burner lit 5 times so far this autumn .. to keep visitors warm ! Will be lighting it more to keep damp out than me warm .Amazing how little heat we really need ...

Yes they are good, I had the dilemma though, in that we got a memory foam mattress in the spring and you can't use one with them.The electric blanket won out.Actually I've decided that comfortable as it was the memory foam makes it difficult to move in the night and really is not good for neck, back and hip problems - it may stay off for good.A bizarre thing with it I always seemed to wake up in the night with head jammed against the headboard, no idea how that kept happening!On topic, stove has been on most evenings for 6 weeks or so,but only use maybe 5 or 6 logs.Not felt need to have it on through the day yet, but we do have a little halogen heater to pop on for half an hour at ,mealtimes.The rest of the house is tarting to feel decidedly chilly though when the stove powered rads are on so little,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The last 2 years I was in modern halls so could when I like although I never switched it on being high up. This year I'm in an older accommodation.

Ah I see. Both of the halls have been around 20 years old, so not old and not new. Although from what I've heard, at Reading it's just luck of the draw really. Thankfully my room keeps the heat really well anyway being on the bottom floor - plenty of insulation above me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Just heating the one room for now, may turn on the hall heater if/when it turns colder, that will be the rest of the house mind.

Posted

The heating has been switched on yesterday but mostly to check to see it still works! looks like some widespread minus temps across the country this week so it might take a bit of the chill out of the air inside, but I'll still have a window open for the fresh air.

Posted

Anyone tried this (or similar)?  basically a cheap and simple convection heater (8p a day though?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzqdxLt74uc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!

Anyone tried this (or similar)?  basically a cheap and simple convection heater (8p a day though?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzqdxLt74uc

Property fire waiting to happen!!!!!

Posted

Property fire waiting to happen!!!!!

how? (unless you set fire to "boat owner" magazine, then many people use candles and tea lights all the while, these along with open fires and incence burners etc are al safe if used correctly and safely i'm sure.

Posted

i've kept the heating off today as i can't have it all the time but im bloody freezing sitting here and its not even that cold technically, cold and dry is overrated, the cold is only worth it when it snows, ice days are fine as the scenery looks nice but when its 4c or 5c like this week that is just annoying cold 

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Well and truly on this month, -7c last night and house chilly even with heating on a lot today.

Posted

Yes - it's finally on,here.  But only to stop the incessant moaning and wailing of the missus and kid, and to stop the sound of relentlessly chattering teeth. As soon as they clear off later today, it'll be back off and the windows will be open. I've stuff to do outdoors anyway.

Posted

The heating was on for a while yesterday, but that was mostly to air some Winter clothes as the 'great change over' happens in the wardrobe!

Posted

Very warm in here, but that is the problem with storage heaters, to be OK in the evening they have to be very warm in the morning (so doors all kept shut to retain the heat)

Posted

I'm starting to think about it .......:oIt was down to 1c by my bed this morning, and 12.1c downstairs. 12c is usually the threshold ...

Posted

I'm starting to think about it .......Posted Image

It was down to 1c by my bed this morning, and 12.1c downstairs. 12c is usually the threshold ...

outside of the heated areas here in the house the temp has been hanging around 12oC for a couple of weeks now which is why I turned the storage heaters on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Talking about the ‘Hunt for cold’ on the model forum they should have been standing next to me last night

Some idiot (me) decided to fill his Diesel car with Petrol not good.

Waiting for ‘man with van’ it was freezing. I think it hit -4c near where I live last night

Heating well and truly on when I finally got home  Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Heating has been on for a while.

Usually comes on around 3pm & heats the house up from 14.5-15c to 20.0c, takes around 4hrs. Timer goes off at 9.45pm.

My boiler seems to want to go into fault mode though, which happens randomly & for what appears to be no reason. You can reset it & it works for a coupe of weeks, or a couple of months before it decides to go into fault mode again.

Really annoying as it's means now, we are never sure whether it will be on when we get home from work, or if it decides to do it while having a shower(which it did do once back in June).

As with all intermittent faults, very hard to find what the problem is....

Really putting me off cold weather, which is a really annoying, as I love the thought of cold  & snow, but not when there is a chance the heating might not come on.

Edited by SteveB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

My house just refuses to retain heat.

My flat is the same even after cavity wall insulation fitted - within 30 mins to an hour of turning the heating off the temperature does a big drop, it's 12c in here right now so for most people that is very uncomfortable but I'm on my own today so I just grin and bear it and wear a couple of jumpers also sweat top over them, at least it's money in my pocket and not the fat cat energy bosses.

The other morning I woke up at 4am with a cold head so when that happens I usually just go and put a hat on and that solves the problem or if I've had enough sleep just stay awake.

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I'm having windows open during the daytime then putting a little heat on during the evening. This is with outdoor temps -1c to +5c with unbroken sunshine all day. We're in a top floor flat so get all the sun that there is morning to sunset. 

All of this couldn't contrast any more to my old UK place it really feels alien how it can be cold outside but warm inside without a boiler burning away for hours & hours. 

Posted

Some added benefits to turning up that heating???

How turning up the central heating could keep you slim: Study uncovers link between higher temperatures and lower levels of fat
  • University of Stirling studied 100,000 people over 13 years
  • Those who kept central heating high were likely to be thinner
  • People who turned thermostat down were likely to have BMIs
  • Results published today contradict previous studies

Posted

It's not on here yet. I've just moved into a 1 bed flat with my OH so can control the heating myself. I was in a shared house before and didn't have complete control, though I did go around adjusting all the radiaters. When the sun is shining the flat isn't too bad, usuallly hovers between 15-16 degrees, and goes to 17 when we cook dinner. The thermals and extra jumpers have been out for about a month now.

Posted

I don't have any gas.

I installed a stainless steel chimney, since house did not have chimney. Also installed a woodburner. Was quiet easy DIY.

At night I try to hit up to 30c, so by the time I wake up, its about 21c. The stove is enough to heat up entire house. If I closed any internal doors, then main room would get baking.

Sometimes during day I leave a small 1kw electric heater on to heat house.

Have internal and external wall insulation.

Firewood is expensive this year, because I am having to buy seasoned and also log storages, that I can't be asked to make myself. Next year I will buy much cheaper unseasoned firewood and season it outside for next winter.

I think the cheapest way to heat a home would be a Thorium Reactor. As a bonus you will have all the free electricity you want and will be selling electricity back to the grid. Thorium reactor can be built small. But I really can't see how council would give planning permission for a mini nuclear power station. Not to mention I am not sure they have any building regulations for it.

Edited by hollowbaron

Posted

how? (unless you set fire to "boat owner" magazine, then many people use candles and tea lights all the while, these along with open fires and incence burners etc are al safe if used correctly and safely i'm sure.

They should sell their boat and get the following

Posted Image

No running cost apart from maintenance as everything is solar powered, including heating I guess. Would also be cheaper to convert an existing boat to be solar powered. When I get old, I want something similar to this.

Posted

They should sell their boat and get the following

Posted Image

No running cost apart from maintenance as everything is solar powered, including heating I guess. Would also be cheaper to convert an existing boat to be solar powered. When I get old, I want something similar to this.

just noticed that if you turn it upside down it will look like nacells and the enterprise

• Like 2