Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your central heating on yet ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Not just yet. Definitely cooler days and cold nights are turning in, but the sun warms my bedroom up as it heads around into the afternoon. Prob another few weeks, unless we see it very chilly in the mornings! 

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

This thread made me light my wood-burner  .. I'm off for a bit of real toast and rhubarb jam !  Cheers !

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Nope, window still open.

As a general rule the window will be closed at 5C at night, I will wear a jumper at about 10C during the day. Once we get ice days I will think about heating.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I said to mine "its a bit nippy to night shall we have an early one" Posted Image But then i suddenly got all hot under the collar !!!

She put the heating on full Posted Image

Up to bed at 9.30, wandering down the stairs at 9.45 to make a snack and have a fag eh? lol

• Like 2

Posted

NO!!!! Windows open, polo shirt on! 

Posted

No, keeping it off as long as possible. Jumpers all round in mine at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Believe it or not - no we've not had any heating on in our house just yet. Last year it was 3rd June off to late August switch on whereas this year it was second week June off and still not on yet so we're doing well.

The combination of being out most of Saturday and yesterday morning being so very sunny (so heated the place up to 20.5c by lunchtime then we did cooking in afternoon so it held it for quite some time) has meant we've not had an issue yet.

However it was cold getting up this morning as the sun hadn't made it to the house yet.

But we'll see tonight - its now 19.8c in the house and now starting to cool so by later it may turn chilly.

Certainly opening windows is now a big no-no so no more fresh air at night (plus waking up in bed chilly again returns) and popping to garden I have to be careful to close the door behind me every time. Got window open ajar in office and my hands were cold this morning from the breeze- sun coming round now so can open up a bit. Dreading this room closed up again - really airless it is.

Sigh... - the easy & free life of summer recedes and the constant battle with outdoor conditions that differ vastly to indoor conditions commences its ever intensifying battle...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

No. Growing up in a council house with no CH in the harsh winters of the early 80s has hardened me somewhat to the cold.

And, honestly, unless you are sleeping halfway up a mountain in Scotland it isn't remotely cold yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Had mine on over the weekend as dropped to 3.5c during the night.

Posted

Went on this morning in the shower room only. Getting chilly-feeling in the house now, especially at night and in the morning. Also lighting the wood burner at night for the past couple of days. I expect that will be lit most days between now and March next year.

Edited by picog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I am surprised at how many refuse to have heating on when it is very cold - not on until ice days etc.

I will not be putting mine for a while yet, but during winter it needs to be on to prevent damp especially when drying clothes (a de-humidifier is a must).

Posted

Was out for a coupla hours chopping trees down this morning, then a brisk walk to a hospital appointment and back. Got in to find the missus shivering uncontrollably and pleading for the heating to be put on. Ye whatever - I sent her for a jog.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Was out for a coupla hours chopping trees down this morning, then a brisk walk to a hospital appointment and back. Got in to find the missus shivering uncontrollably and pleading for the heating to be put on. Ye whatever - I sent her for a jog.

It's funny we have a guy at work who always goes on about heating thermostat set at 12c, the wife always cold but "I earn the money so I decide when we can heat" (despite her being at home raising his kids) and all this bravado about 'manning' up to cold (although he wears a fleece/jumper *all* the time inc in hot weather - but then doesn't like it too warm outside). 

Sometimes I get the feeling people like to make it up about having windows open at 3c and not heating their homes till it ices up on the inside of the windows... and especially think some make it up about much their spouse will really tolerate! :lol:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Nope still got the air con going here at night as day time temps are still in the 80's for another week at least.

Posted

It's funny we have a guy at work who always goes on about heating thermostat set at 12c, the wife always cold but "I earn the money so I decide when we can heat" (despite her being at home raising his kids) and all this bravado about 'manning' up to cold (although he wears a fleece/jumper *all* the time inc in hot weather - but then doesn't like it too warm outside). 

The heating side of our combi boiler is 'off' so it won't come on regardless of the thermostat. I'm not so stingy with the heating just 'cos I'm a mean and belligerent sod ( although there is some truth in that!) but because there are very practical steps to keeping warm instead of the easy, outrageously expensive and unneccesary step of putting the heating on. Especially when it isn't cold by any stretch of the imagination and would only serve to make me uncomfortably hot. And yep I am indeed sat here in a t-shirt and have the windows open! Today is boiling, man!!

Posted

Have to confess, I did pop the heating on yesterday morning to take the chill out of the house - only on for an hour or so just to make it comfortable to be in.

Posted

The heating side of our combi boiler is 'off' so it won't come on regardless of the thermostat. I'm not so stingy with the heating just 'cos I'm a mean and belligerent sod ( although there is some truth in that!) but because there are very practical steps to keeping warm instead of the easy, outrageously expensive and unneccesary step of putting the heating on. Especially when it isn't cold by any stretch of the imagination and would only serve to make me uncomfortably hot. And yep I am indeed sat here in a t-shirt and have the windows open! Today is boiling, man!!

Yes our system is switched off and all radiator's taps are turned off (otherwise they come when I heat water for washing no matter what the thermostat says!).

My missus is heading off to Berlin on Saturday (I follow in a month or so) so I'll be switching to jumpers during her absence although once my feet begin to freeze despite being in thick socks & slippers then the heat goes on!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

The temperature outside is perfect, currently just short of 14C and overcast, so shorts and shirt are still on. Windows are wide open in my bedroom. When it gets cold enough, a log way off yet, step 1 is to stick a jumper on, then step 2 is to close the windows. The shorts are never coming off though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Have to confess, I did pop the heating on yesterday morning to take the chill out of the house - only on for an hour or so just to make it comfortable to be in.

But it finally *IS* comfortable for the first time in weeks Posted Image

Must admit my old war wounds are letting me know that things have taken a turn for cooler and damper though.

Posted

July-August was mostly comfortable... with outdoor temps matching or exceeding desired indoor temps... the other 10 months less so! In my book anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

not yet i will leave it till late october earlly november unless we get a coldspell before then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Was another chilly morning here this morning, but the indoors the house has stayed mild. 18.8c indoors which feels fine to me, obviously to some people that would feel a bit nippy in just a tshirt.

Edited by Gaz1985