Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013/2014 Forecasts/Hopes/Discussion Thread

Posted

Posted Images

so this is cold is it 

hi C

As well as the very good explanation you have been given, take a look in the Guides section, you may find some of the topics in there are a help. Never be afraid to ask though, there will always be someone able and happy to answer your question. Every one of us learns from others on here.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Never be afraid to ask though, there will always be someone able and happy to answer your question. Every one of us learns from others on here.

Cool.......Does anybody know how to make a Victoria sandwich Posted Image Whoops i think i've got the wrong end of the stick Posted Image ...Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

It's currently -ve (August was -1.04) despite the north Pacific in general being close to record warmth. What those charts show is a shift toward the more classic -ve PDO pattern with the reverse "C" of cold anomalies around the N. Pacific coasts.

Over recent months we've seen much warmer than average central N. Pacific and slightly warmer than average reverse "C", which, while not a classic -ve PDO pattern, still counts.

Much of the warmth in the north Pacific was only shallow due to the persistent high pressure in

northeast pacific and has quickly been replaced (last couple of weeks) by much colder waters

which, will probably continue.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Looks a bit chilly over in Eastern Europe next week.

Posted ImageECM100-144.GIF

Early snow for some?

Quite possible for some parts given the low pressure down there

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

not on that chart no.

the wind direction there is from the west off the atlantic so warm for cold winds would need to be coming from the north, northeast or the east.

north

Posted Imagegfs-2010120506-0-78.png

northeast

Posted Imagegfs-2010112706-0-360.png

east

Posted Imagegfs-2010112706-0-60.png

hope this helps

We just need to see these charts in the reliable come the time,without the H's and L's of cause Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

dont  no what the other stuff is i ment is THIS NE WINDS AND COLD

It is indeed, Conor!Posted Image

Edited by A Boy Named Sue
Name corrected...

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

sea ice is making a good early comeback this year similar to 09 and 10 maybe even ahead of those two years let just keep our fingers crossed the winter will be similar aswell

post-18233-0-10321200-1380370960_thumb.j

remember aswell we are way ahead in snow cover over Siberia

post-18233-0-72471400-1380371301_thumb.g

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

y did the picture just change 

They self update from 00z to 12z and so on

This far out your going to see changes every run

To save a chart to the forum without it self updating you need to click this button

Posted Image

Then on the link under Lien direct pour forums (1ère version - Forum Météociel) - click that and past it into your post (no need to use the image button in the editor as the tags are already in)

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

They self update from 00z to 12z and so on

This far out your going to see changes every run

To save a chart to the forum without it self updating you need to click this button

Posted Image

Then on the link under Lien direct pour forums (1ère version - Forum Météociel) - click that and past it into your post (no need to use the image button in the editor as the tags are already in)

ok didnt no they update on this page 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Ah. Never take the CFS raw output seriously, Conor...It changes more frequently than most of us change our socks!Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

As we get closer to Winter it's becoming (At least to me), more evident that more people are leaning on the side of a milder Winter, than a cold one. 

I recall this time last year, hardly anyone was in the Mild camp, most were speculating that a cold one was on the way and some were going for an average one. 

But I saw very few if any, predictions for a mild one. 

I (just for the record), was and still am inclined to say that I think we'll get a quite mild Winter in comparison to the past 5 or 6. It really is very unusual to have 6 cool winters back to back in the UK and for that reason alone I just can't see it being cold this Winter, but I am not saying wall to wall sunshine and warmth.

I think a few short lived cold snaps at best and with a fair amount of regularity in all 3 months of Winter, but the pre set I think will be for mild and wet. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I (just for the record), was and still am inclined to say that I think we'll get a quite mild Winter in comparison to the past 5 or 6. It really is very unusual to have 6 cool winters back to back in the UK and for that reason alone I just can't see it being cold this Winter, but I am not saying wall to wall sunshine and warmth.

I think a few short lived cold snaps at best and with a fair amount of regularity in all 3 months of Winter, but the pre set I think will be for mild and wet. 

If you look at the last 350+ years and the average CET values for Dec,Jan and Feb (DJF) the last 6 yrs haven't really been that cool.

The winters from 1988 to 2008 with perhaps the exception of  one or two years were on the mild side re CET for DJF

In fact you have to go back to 1979 before we hit a average CET below 2c for DJF and we are well over due (if you believe we are going back to average type winters). Looking at the last 130+ yrs we have.

1879 was 0.7c (DJF)

1891 was 1.5c (DJF)

1895 was 1.2c (DJF)

1917  was 1.5 (DJF)

1929  was 1.7c (DJF)

1940  was 1.5c (DJF)

1947 was 1.1c (DJF)

1963 was -0.3c (DJF)

1979 was 1.6c (DJF)

so for 2013/4  my punt is 1.2c for (DJF), were over due a long cold winter

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/ssn_HadCET_mean.txt

41 winters with 2c or sub 2c for DJF in the CET series with 2010 the coldest in recent years (at 2.43c) comes in at just 59th coldest winter

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/ssn_HadCET_mean_sort.txt

So were due a long cold winter Posted Image

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 1

Posted

As we get closer to Winter it's becoming (At least to me), more evident that more people are leaning on the side of a milder Winter, than a cold one. I recall this time last year, hardly anyone was in the Mild camp, most were speculating that a cold one was on the way and some were going for an average one.

I'm not entirely sure where you have been looking at the forecasts then, because most of the preliminary forecasts I've seen on here and elsewhere online are not pointing to anything necessarily spectacular, but they are far from pointing towards mild, with a general consensus on February being likely be the coldest of the three months.In fact I would go as far as to say that I don't think I have seen such a strong consensus ever on these forums on a cold February, numerous forecasts based upon numerous techniques have so far all pointed towards this direction - with the notable exception of RJSI certainly remember seeing many more forecasts pointing to a milder winter last year than I have done this year so far.I realise this can all be rather subjective in analysis, but I wholeheartedly disagree that the current consensus points towards a mild winter.Of course though consensus offers no absolutely certainty on anything when it comes to the weather!SK Edited by snowking
  • Like 4

Posted

dont no what the other stuff is i ment is THIS NE WINDS AND COLD

The above is a very slack NE flow so wintry showers around eastern coasts and north of Scotland, dry and cold for 90%. Need that pattern but shift the whole lot 500 miles NE and bingo*edit* scrap that just seen the above which is what Conor refers to originally.... Now that iS bingo!! Edited by Tim Bland