Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013/2014 Forecasts/Hopes/Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

is this good or bad 

Would certainly be wild but not cold. You really need to look at the upper air temperatures and not go by the thickness values which show how unstable the air is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

is this good or bad 

Depends what your preference....if like CS says you like gales and rain this is a fantastic chart..if you like cold and snow its a bit of a stinker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

how do i look if its cold sorry im only starting 

Have a wee look in here, Conor. There are some tutorials in there somewhere too, I believe...http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/50366-help-to-understand-charts/

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

CFS is showing a lovely start to December.... All subject to change as usual.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Looks toasty in my part of the world

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

maybe any of the more informed on here can give me a little help with this here is the NOAA SST anomalies for 16th, 19th, 23rd and 26th.

could this be first tentative signs on the PDO turning -ve or am I wrong

post-18233-0-32268000-1380287250_thumb.gpost-18233-0-77285100-1380287261_thumb.gpost-18233-0-50222400-1380287268_thumb.gpost-18233-0-04069800-1380287279_thumb.g

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 1

Posted

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lol, December 2010 all over again only this time it will last the entire winter. Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

Not sure how long it will take to get here (if at all), but Winter has already arrived in Svalbard....... http://longyearbyen.livecam360.com/flash/main.php

I think it's at least 7-10 earlier than the last few years, although I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

maybe any of the more informed on here can give me a little help with this here is the NOAA SST anomalies for 16th, 19th, 23rd and 26th.

could this be first tentative signs on the PDO turning -ve or am I wrong

Posted Imageanomnight_9_16_2013.gifPosted Imageanomnight_9_19_2013.gifPosted Imageanomnight_9_23_2013.gifPosted Imageanomnight_9_26_2013.gif

It's currently -ve (August was -1.04) despite the north Pacific in general being close to record warmth. What those charts show is a shift toward the more classic -ve PDO pattern with the reverse "C" of cold anomalies around the N. Pacific coasts.

Over recent months we've seen much warmer than average central N. Pacific and slightly warmer than average reverse "C", which, while not a classic -ve PDO pattern, still counts.

• Like 1

Posted

Posted Images

so this is cold is it 

not on that chart no.

the wind direction there is from the west off the atlantic so warm for cold winds would need to be coming from the north, northeast or the east.

north

post-18233-0-21198500-1380296216_thumb.p

northeast

post-18233-0-55061400-1380296240_thumb.p

east

post-18233-0-57149000-1380296260_thumb.p

hope this helps

• Like 7

Posted

not on that chart no.

the wind direction there is from the west off the atlantic so warm for cold winds would need to be coming from the north, northeast or the east.

north

Posted Imagegfs-2010120506-0-78.png

northeast

Posted Imagegfs-2010112706-0-360.png

east

Posted Imagegfs-2010112706-0-60.png

hope this helps

it dose so atm the charts say its not going to be a white christmas 

• Like 1

Posted

not atm no wont get any idea of that proper till we get into middle of December at earliest and on some occasions could only be a few days before hand

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I wouldn't worry about a white Christmas yet to be fair you could be looking at a matter of 5 days or less before we would get a good idea depending on the set up nearer the time

Posted

not on that chart no.

north

Posted Imagegfs-2010120506-0-78.png

northeast

Posted Imagegfs-2010112706-0-360.png

east

Posted Imagegfs-2010112706-0-60.png

hope this helps

low pressure = anticlockwise winds

high pressure = clockwise winds

reds, yellows, greens = higher dam and higher pressure

blues, purples = lower dam and lower pressure

white lines = isobars (wind flow) ( closer together = windier) (further apart = less wind)

numbers on white lines = pressure (higher number = higher pressure) (lower number =lower pressure)

to add a little for you on the charts to help you understand heres the chart you posted to show west winds

post-18233-0-57691600-1380297966_thumb.p

if you look at all the charts the higher numbers on the isobars always go with the greens,yellows and the lower numbers always go with the blues,purples so first look towards the colours for help and if you still having trouble working it out look for numbers in isobars just remember high numbers clockwise and low numbers anticlockwise.

try going through this link aswell its gavsweathervids and watch some of the video forecasts he explains quite well how to look at the charts you will learn from there aswell

http://www.gavsweathervids.com/forecasts.html

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

low pressure = anticlockwise winds

high pressure = clockwise winds

reds, yellows, greens = higher dam and higher pressure

blues, purples = lower dam and lower pressure

white lines = isobars (wind flow) ( closer together = windier) (further apart = less wind)

numbers on white lines = pressure (higher number = higher pressure) (lower number =lower pressure)

to add a little for you on the charts to help you understand heres the chart you posted to show west winds

Posted Imagecfs-0-2136.png

if you look at all the charts the higher numbers on the isobars always go with the greens,yellows and the lower numbers always go with the blues,purples so first look towards the colours for help and if you still having trouble working it out look for numbers in isobars just remember high numbers clockwise and low numbers anticlockwise.

try going through this link aswell its gavsweathervids and watch some of the video forecasts he explains quite well how to look at the charts you will learn from there aswell

http://www.gavsweathervids.com/forecasts.html

Posted Image I think you've covered pretty much everythingPosted Image  Next time a newbie needs a little kick start......Your the man Posted Image 

• Like 2