Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013/2014 Forecasts/Hopes/Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Jan 2010 was brilliant here. Minima approaching -18C a few miles down the road, -10C at midday. Felt very surreal in our normally mild country. It was like being in Canada or Scandinavia.

Early Jan 2010 was undoubtedly the best period of winter weather I've ever experienced. That night of the 6th/7th was surreal. To experience lows of -15C and hearing of places in the -20s is amazing for the UK.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Absolutely, I wouldn't class last winter as severe at all. The biggest deviation from the norm came in a spring month.

Depends what you call winter?Which is worse 3 severe months dec,jan and feb or one that gets an early cold snap in October and has numerous wintery spells all the way through to may yet not as severe...am sure it has happened!!!!!! 1985/86 is one that I remember!

Posted

I thought you missed on the heaviest snowfalls?

We did. I'm not on about the snowfall, more the extreme lows. We had about 5cm of snow on the ground and -15C. Steam rising from the drains, crystal clear sky and light winds. Truly magical. Would have liked deeper snow (and I was naffed off at the time) but it was what it was and that was good enough!

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted

Early Jan 2010 was undoubtedly the best period of winter weather I've ever experienced. That night of the 6th/7th was surreal.

I remember it well. Woodford recorded -17.6C but was pipped by Benson by 0.1C on that night, but the next night managed -17C (which I was actually disappointed with, unbelievably!) whereas Benson only managed about -13C. Our neck of the woods seemed to be the "pole of cold" for England, a rarity in itself.Remember walking my dog early on the 6th and 7th, steam seemingly rising from everything and a piecing, stinging sensation on my ears. Beautiful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Absolutely, I wouldn't class last winter as severe at all. The biggest deviation from the norm came in a spring month.

Yes, it wasn't severe, but was notable for its longevity and frequent falls of snow. It seemed to go on forever. 

I have a few qualms with last winter - we didn't do as well for snow as Leeds, nor did we get any ice days in March like they did, which is to be expected I guess given our paltry elevation (9m asl). Luckily, I may be moving to Leeds again soon - not for the weather obviously, but that's just an added perk. I like it here, but there are personal reasons for me not wanting to stay here, as well as needing to be in close proximity to family.

Anyway, last winter was ABYSMAL for low minima considering the amazing synoptics. In Feb 2012, we had a low of -13C, but in Jan 2013, only -7C. Feb 2013 was cool overall, but again it was very stable temperature-wise with a minimum of -5C, which is pretty weak considering the average minimum for the entire month came out below freezing.

Jan 2010 was crap for low minima here too, but Dec 2010 was sensational - just amazing. A low of -18C and a HIGH of -7C on the 6th. I will never forget that day - I've never felt cold like it in the UK. Amazing. The entire month had a mean minimum of -5C and a mean maximum of 1.9C, with an overall mean of -1C. That's like a winter in Gothenburg. That's the only benefit of being in a glorified frost hollow such as the Vale of York - very low temps.

To be honest though, December 2010 for snow wasn't that good. The early part was pretty great, but once the snow melted during the mid-month mild spell, it never returned.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer

Yeah I quite enjoyed 2011/2012 for the two week cold snap at the beginning of February, although it was a strange spell of weather which might have swayed my opinion a little further.

Not to sound too IMBY, but the cold spell of Feb 2012 only really affected England and Wales. Unfortunately for us, the Azores High was still fairly active during the said period, and as a result the British Isles were only lightly affected by it compared with the rest of Europe. Over here, and across Ireland and Scotland, the best we received was a few frosty nights before more zonal weather returned. At one stage, there was a 15C difference in temperature between the north-west and south-east.As March Blizzard has stated, there could well be snowy episodes even in a relatively mild winter, but hopefully they will be intense and nationwide events.

Posted

I remember it well. Woodford recorded -17.6C but was pipped by Benson by 0.1C on that night, but the next night managed -17C (which I was actually disappointed with, unbelievably!) whereas Benson only managed about -13C. Our neck of the woods seemed to be the "pole of cold" for England, a rarity in itself.Remember walking my dog early on the 6th and 7th, steam seemingly rising from everything and a piecing, stinging sensation on my ears. Beautiful.

I remember everyone complaining their car batteries had drained in a matter of hours that night with the depth of the cold. I was loving it. Also my other half (at the time) was buying a car and I remember the salesman saying all the brakes had locked up on the cars on the forecourt as they were frozen solid. Exceptional for the UK.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Cheese, I think many of us in the Manchester/Cheshire area may be in the minority in ranking Jan 2010 as better than December 2010. We had deeper snow and lower minima in Jan, whereas much of the rest of the country did better in December. I think the lowest it got here in December was about -14C.

Quite odd, actually.

Posted

Cheese, I think many of us in the Manchester/Cheshire area may be in the minority in ranking Jan 2010 as better than December 2010. We had deeper snow and lower minima in Jan, whereas much of the rest of the country did better in December. I think the lowest it got here in December was about -14C.Quite odd, actually.

I didn't see much snow in either of those periods. January this year provided the deepest snow I can remember seeing round here. About 10cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Cheese, I think many of us in the Manchester/Cheshire area may be in the minority in ranking Jan 2010 as better than December 2010. We had deeper snow and lower minima in Jan, whereas much of the rest of the country did better in December. I think the lowest it got here in December was about -14C.Quite odd, actually.

Yeah, that seems to be the case, although I think we just fared poorly for low minima whereas most other places did well. I remember reading reports of temperatures falling to -18C in Benson and -15C in Yeovilton and thinking 'what?!'.

Edited by cheese

Posted

I didn't see much snow in either of those periods. January this year provided the deepest snow I can remember seeing round here. About 10cm.

I work outside, my overriding memory of Jan 2010 was ploughing through snow, my memory of Dec was slipping on ice! I think we got lucky in Stockport for snow in Jan, at least 8 inches around here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Yeah, that seems to be the case, although I think we just fared poorly for low minima whereas most other places did well. I remember reading reports of temperatures falling to -18C in Benson and -15C in Yeovilton and thinking 'what?!'.

I am not far from Benson and it -16c here Dec 2010 with a foot of snow on the 18th. I'll settle for a max -5c and min -20c (for next March of course).  Posted Image

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 1

Posted

I work outside, my overriding memory of Jan 2010 was ploughing through snow, my memory of Dec was slipping on ice! I think we got lucky in Stockport for snow in Jan, at least 8 inches around here.

I know just how much snow you had in Jan 2010. My ex lives between Stockport and Hazel Grove and she had easily a foot of snow still frozen to the top of her car when she came to Crewe to see me the following evening. Turns up to Crewe and says 'is that it' lol. We literally had about 5cm.

Posted

We did. I'm not on about the snowfall, more the extreme lows. We had about 5cm of snow on the ground and -15C. Steam rising from the drains, crystal clear sky and light winds. Truly magical. Would have liked deeper snow (and I was naffed off at the time) but it was what it was and that was good enough!

I won't rub it in as we got the low minima and the deep snow cover. The pre Christmas 2009 spell was memorable. It was the snowiest week before Christmas Day probably since 1981 here. A little bit of snow on the easterly, a short snowfall on the Saturday before Christmas. I remember waking up early Sunday morning and seeing anvils in the distant over the Irish Sea, the night sky was that crystal clear as it was -7C. Snow showers heavy at times that Sunday, more heavy snow Tuesday morning and further snow Wednesday night. Snow on the ground for Christmas Day.
  • Like 2

Posted

I won't rub it in as we got the low minima and the deep snow cover.The pre Christmas 2009 spell was memorable. It was the snowiest week before Christmas Day probably since 1981 here. A little bit of snow on the easterly, a short snowfall on the Saturday before Christmas. I remember waking up early Sunday morning and seeing anvils in the distant over the Irish Sea, the night sky was that crystal clear as it was -7C. Snow showers heavy at times that Sunday, more heavy snow Tuesday morning and further snow Wednesday night. Snow on the ground for Christmas Day.

Aye I couldn't believe that winds wouldn't turn NW'ly enough to take the streamer down this way. I was so so fed up as that amount of snow would have been the most I've ever seen.

Posted

I know just how much snow you had in Jan 2010. My ex lives between Stockport and Hazel Grove and she had easily a foot of snow still frozen to the top of her car when she came to Crewe to see me the following evening. Turns up to Crewe and says 'is that it' lol. We literally had about 5cm.

Ouch! We can actually get large variations throughout Stockport itself. Marple, for example, can have far more snow than say, Cheadle. Elevation is king.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I was living in Manchester in the January 2010 ( I think thats the one) and when I woke up in the morning it was immense - really was a huge amount of snowfall - trams were off roads were not cleared deep snow everywhere - got a snow day from work for sure.

The best spell for me up here now was November 2010 - thundersnow, heavy convective snowfall for days on end it just kept coming and coming.  Can't recall the December being much crack in respect to the November and although we've had a few snowy spells since non have matched.  I am hoping for a severe winter this year and from a selfish perspective - frigid easterlies screaming across the North Sea loaded with convective snowfall - bliss :-)

Posted

I would like to experience a blizzard. You don't tend to get too many of those here in Coventry!

We did well for snow here last winter but it fell gently for long periods of time. I prefer whiteout conditions like the norwesters they get along the NE seaboard of the US!

The last blizzard in the UK was the March 23rd one this year?

This is about as near to a blizzard as we got up at Corley near Coventry this year, good memories :-)

• Like 1

Posted

The length of it I think was what made it seem more severe and that we had such a good late spring blizzard.

Also, ask anyone in horticulture, last winter was severe as it wrote off one third of our selling season and has left us dangerously low on cash for this coming winter.

This winter is supposed to be the start of the 'biggies' so I'm a bit apprehensive, hopefully it'll be mild with a nice snowy bit around christmas, but I think it's going to be colder than the norm :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Error loading vid.

Edited by P-M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A couple more of these will be ok this winter.

One just before Christmas and the other in January followed by a bitterly cold February and then a quick change into spring

post-9027-0-08581800-1378149053_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted

Early Jan 2010 was undoubtedly the best period of winter weather I've ever experienced. That night of the 6th/7th was surreal. To experience lows of -15C and hearing of places in the -20s is amazing for the UK.

I'll always remember the colour the sky stayed that whole day, it was a baby pink with a cold mist that lay over the ground around a foot deep.

It didn't seem as cold as it was even though the thermometers at work read -17'c, it was a very 'dry cold'.

The daytime temps only got up to -7'c, our coldest since 1981 I think?

Error loading vid.

it's on youtube, so just copy and paste the title into google