Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013/2014 Forecasts/Hopes/Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The first half of March 47 was actually very cold, sub zero in fact. The second half then turned very mild.

Fine by me! Getting that much snow in March would be enough to satisfy me for the winter.. until October.. lol.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

And to add to that, imagine a 1990 December, a Feb 1991 and a Jan 1987, who wouldn't settle for that on here, you would be mad not to, but only one night of heavy snow in Dec 90, essentially if you ignore the very light convective showers in the other 2 spells you would only be looking at 7 days of snowfall in the entire winter, but I would take it any day!!!

Posted

And to add to that, imagine a 1990 December, a Feb 1991 and a Jan 1987, who wouldn't settle for that on here, you would be mad not to, but only one night of heavy snow in Dec 90, essentially if you ignore the very light convective showers in the other 2 spells you would only be looking at 7 days of snowfall in the entire winter, but I would take it any day!!!

To be honest I'm not too fussed about snow. I just love low minima, although I do understand the necessity of some snow cover to facilitate it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I'll have the following:

October 1740

November 1782

December 2010

January 1795

February 1947

March 1674

April 1701

I'm not asking for much really :D

Posted

To be honest I'm not too fussed about snow. I just love low minima, although I do understand the necessity of some snow cover to facilitate it.

Im the other way myself, snow is the most important thing and although marginal can deliver some of the best falls, this location being a classic example, high risk and high reward with stalling fronts, however, my favourites do include brutal uppers, even though I have a mountain range to my east, my preference would be -15c uppers with a gale force Easterly, so naturally that would bring brutal temps with it.

Posted

Snow is the most important thing to me - a very cold, dry winter would be far less interesting to me than a winter that is less cold due to more cloud, but with lots of snow. However, the two combined make the perfect winter scenario, and one is not truly complete without the other.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

One of the frustrations of last winter here was the large number of marginal frontal events which produced large quantities of snowfall but very little to show for it on the ground, while on higher ground there would have been significant accumulations.  However, the frontal event of the 25th January, which had widely been forecast as a snow-to-rain event from the west, produced 12 centimetres here and stayed as snow throughout.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted

One of the frustrations of last winter here was the large number of marginal frontal events which produced large quantities of snowfall but very little to show for it on the ground, while on higher ground there would have been significant accumulations.  However, the frontal event of the 25th January, which had widely been forecast as a snow-to-rain event from the west, produced 12 centimetres here and stayed as snow throughout.

Haha true, Leeds copped it last winter but we fared considerably worse, which is understandable given our paltry altitude of 9m ASL.

Posted

That 25th Jan event done my head in, everywhere around here, including people at lower elevations were getting 6 and 8 inches, mine turned to sleet and although an inch more fell so woke up to about 3 inches or so, it was all slushy, normally not a disaster but I really thought I was going to get belted from that so high expectation ruined that one for me.

Posted

I will dig out my thickest frost I have ever experience, nearly a week of frosts if I remember rightly, some really low temps considering no snow on the ground.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Do everyone a favour, give it a rest Gaz. I don't quite know what the issue is with experiencing a bit of cold, seasonal weather but if you're that hell bent on living the life of mind numbingly boring SW'lys may I recommend somewhere like the Azores for you to relocate to? I'm all for people having preferences but there's only so much you can labour a point until it gives everyone a headache. You think cold and snow is nasty, we get it Posted Image

Personally I like my seasons to be defined....cold and wintry in WINTER and warm (not hot) and thundery in summer. Variety is the spice of life and all that! Posted Image

Agreed, though some days in June I did regret ramping the extreme March cold when it was 10C and gloomy, I don't think I've experience June as cold as I did this year. But hey I'm just a young whipper-snapper Posted Image

Though March 2013 was really something special, though saying that so was March 2012 for the opposite reasons. How can you get two years where one you can walk down the beach and it's 24C, and the next it's 0C and blowing a gale off the sea. March 2014 is going to have to produce something special for it to not be declared a boring month.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Would love a cold and frosty November-December period with some snow, but I think I'll be let down- plenty of hard frosts will do. Jan and Feb can have big snowfalls and glumness/darkness to match my mood when I go back to school, and then March onwards, warmth and sunshine por favor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

In recent years we have had some cracking haw frosts. Sometimes in winter, waking up to a glorious haw frost is as good as snow!

I love the icicles from the drain pipes, the frozen canal, when the muddy path freezes. Above all, knowing there is heavy snow on the way and being the first person in your house to spot the first gentle flakes beginning to fall and noting with satisfaction that they are settling!

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

In recent years we have had some cracking haw frosts. Sometimes in winter, waking up to a glorious haw frost is as good as snow!

Absolutely, especially under a crystal azure sky with a weak milky sun just above the horizon. It really doesn't get better than that.
  • Like 1

Posted

FKN look at chionos post on the MOD, jesus Christ, that's a heck of a HLB biased anomaly set of charts, you would think more dilution would occur in that many years.

Here comes a stonking winter again!!!

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

Im the other way myself, snow is the most important thing and although marginal can deliver some of the best falls, this location being a classic example, high risk and high reward with stalling fronts, however, my favourites do include brutal uppers, even though I have a mountain range to my east, my preference would be -15c uppers with a gale force Easterly, so naturally that would bring brutal temps with it.

I like the "deep cold" feeling of really cold, clear and calm nights. Snow is nice to watch falling and i do appreciate a snowy landscape but I find it more hassle than it's worth most of the time. Cloudy, 0-2C and wet snow; I'd rather do without.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Here comes a stonking winter again!!!

Nooooo don't fall into the complacency trap. The weather is chaotic. Believe nothing until you see it with your own eyes!

• Like 1

Posted

Nooooo don't fall into the complacency trap. The weather is chaotic. Believe nothing until you see it with your own eyes!

Yes - the last part was in jest, however, his post has a lot of merits, my initial thoughts were a repeat of 11/12 where we have to wait until last knock ins for a sniff of a proper Easterly, however, I am slowly gaining in confidence!

Posted

A cool start to November with bright days and frosty ground then as December comes in frequent snow showers and by the Christmas weekend a good snowstorm bring a foot of snow ready for Xmas . Into January a mild spell with some wild storms but by the end of the month another bout of cold for a week

Posted

I like the "deep cold" feeling of really cold, clear and calm nights. Snow is nice to watch falling and i do appreciate a snowy landscape but I find it more hassle than it's worth most of the time. Cloudy, 0-2C and wet snow; I'd rather do without.

I can see peoples distaste for a slushfest but I would still rather have one than experience a winte r without any falling snow.

Posted

I can see peoples distaste for a slushfest but I would still rather have one than experience a winte r without any falling snow.

I'm probably in the minority on here, I could gladly go a whole winter without seeing snow, as long as it had a few good cold spells.