Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013/2014 Forecasts/Hopes/Discussion Thread

Posted

Not too sure about that, I don't think its worth it unless you have depth TBH.

In midwinter I agree but early winter / Christmas we don't want to be causing havoc and delays for those who have plans and stuff it's already bad enough without snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

That's where I differ, I would rather a cm of snow than mild rubbish but a proper pasting is what does it for me, as ive said though, yes, January the best time to get it so agree in that respect.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

I don't remember that one exactly but I do remember that nearly every year up until the last 2 of the eighties, we had time off school due to snow, that's the measurement I used to go by and we got plastered nearly every year up until the last 2 years of the decade, feb 1986 a good one, I remember watching the B&H masters snooker on TV after my mom kept me at home because of the weather.

I think the cold and snow arrived around the 5th and lasted for a couple of weeks before turning milder.  However, the cold returned in early February with further snow.  1984/85 probably the best of the cold mid-80's Winters overall IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Words couldn't describe how gutted I was!! We live and we learn. This is what really made me wiser about trusting and believing every output. Instead I actually observe and go through my own head what likely scenarios will crop up in time with the model runs as they advance. Anything over 5 days out is no wiser than what we are. A hobby that I will never get bored of and do till the day I die, observing and anticipating the weather!

Last year taught me a lot one thing was that the GFS is a pile of poo when handling blocking highs around the Greenland area.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Last year taught me a lot one thing was that the GFS is a pile of poo when handling blocking highs around the Greenland area.

Well the Scandi region. We did get one high developing to our north west in March which surprisingly was picked up by the GFS first though the ECM follow a run or so later. For the March cold spell the UKMO was the one which bombed spectacularly not getting it right until about 2 days before it happened.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HATE HEAT! LOVE COLD!

I really hope we get signals for decent cold for Jan/Feb in Dec! I remember last year watching the days drop off the calendar and the days getting longer then eventually when decent blocking came we where technically into spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Heading for a typical Autumn in Nov by the sounds of it. Not a problem for me personally as i prefer the main event over Xmas and New Year into Jan. With a top uo at the end of Jan.

Heres hoping for a classic blindside from the models. One of those "beasterly appears 48 hours out" and then it hits!

Personally I don't care when, as long as it comes. Preferably cooold!, prolonged and deep snow with some howling winds that carries away the sound of your voice into the whiteout. Some shocking drifts from the bliazzardy conditions. As long as I can get all that, I don't care when it comes, I will be ready... same as I am every year, winter gear just sitting there in it's place ever year just waiting for some good snow conditions. Of course I will settle for less and always make the most of what I get, even if it means having to romp all over the mountains to find the better stuff. But I'm waiting every year for that big one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

December is when I want the cold. I'm fed up waiting now, we've waited long enough I would like the cold to come soon. I.e snow within the next two weeks.

At the start of the line you want cold in December at the start of your post, but by the end you want it in early November?

Posted

No I want to see some frost and snow as it feels like I have been waiting forever. Actual prolonged winter weather can come at the end of November if it likes.

Edited by smithyweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

21c and wall to wall sunshine today..by Sunday it will be below freezing and snowing..welcome to Alberta in October

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Surely the perfect scenario is to wake up to a light covering on the ground, clear blue skies. Then as the final piece of turkey (other meats are available) the sky goes that wintry shade of grey and snow comes down thick and fast, still very still, perfect for a wintry Christmas day walk with the snow building up quickly enough for late afternoon frolics in the snow Posted Image

Heavy snow Christmas Eve surely ? then mother-in-law cant make it ??

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a metre of lying snow

Getting the snow tyres ready here for the 1st Nov. The snow poles are already out on a neighbouring island along the major route between Stavanger and Bergen.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Getting the snow tyres ready here for the 1st Nov. The snow poles are already out on a neighbouring island along the major route between Stavanger and Bergen.

Where is you location  'North 60N' is fairly vague ? Unless your on the run

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

That's where I differ, I would rather a cm of snow than mild rubbish but a proper pasting is what does it for me, as ive said though, yes, January the best time to get it so agree in that respect.

yeah soggy mild Christmas not my cup of tea already the kids and school are seeing rise in illness and its always the way that on Christmas someone is ill but when its cold it kills them germs.

white Christmas not likely though this year with all this barty party lol

Posted

21c and wall to wall sunshine today..by Sunday it will be below freezing and snowing..welcome to Alberta in October

now that is some weather change, makes our 'puny' 6-10C seem fairly minor!

Posted

No because it doesn't have any major effect on our weather. It's because our weather comes from the west off the atlantic ocean and the european continent is disconnected from the arctic. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

We hear scare stories every year about the gulf stream. Until it comes from a reputable source, I really wouldn't take any notice.

Edited by BornFromTheVoid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hope it snows loads this winter!

I'm sure your hopes are echoed by many on here! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

Would 528 dam and -3c uppers produce snow to low levels? I know there is a slim chance but is it even remotely possible even at night? Keep seeing charts for this on 2nd November

post the charts

• Like 1