Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013/2014 Forecasts/Hopes/Discussion Thread

Posted

I take it by your views in other threads that the financial crisis has nothing to do with Labour wasting taxpayers money, I am not defending Cameron completely here, I am really thinking of defecting to UKIP, but every time the torys come to power this country is already saddled with massive debt caused by over spending.

The banks were largely to blame - it's a myth put out by the paranoid press about over spending. I would switch to UKIP if I were you.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

No they didn't, it seemed likely on models coupled with GPs bullishness, there were some that didn't go with it.

BFTP

And that, coupled with others forecasting a 'descending winter'and a 'brutal' February, excitement exceeded reality, throughout. What was it in the end, 0.2C below average or something?

How can we blame GP for our own collective misreading of the models?

• Like 2

Posted

And that, coupled with others forecasting a 'descending winter'and a 'brutal' February, excitement exceeded reality, throughout. What was it in the end, 0.2C below average or something? How can we blame GP for our own collective misreading of the models?

Thats a good point more so as some seemed to think GP could control the weather. Look at some of the others who posted their winter forecast last year, we had a1947 winter and all sorts of other OTT forecasts. Take them all with a pinch of salt as none are likely to be right or even near.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Nice blocking......Just before xmas and on the day...Dear Santa. Can you deliver Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted

Decided to have a look at this famous failed easterly from last year. This and the pages following:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75166-model-output-discussion-12z-04122012/page-26

Not an experience many people want to revisit I imagine! 

• Like 4

Posted

Looks, to me, as though we were all taken-in??Posted Image 

Interestingly, it was close to the time of Tropical Cyclone EVAN in the SW Pacific. The models for some time had difficulty getting a grip on that feature - it seems plausible that this could have been a distant source of error for the flow in the NH. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Was that the insane ECM chart that would have been one of the most ridiculous cold spells ever to materialise? Oh so close we were Posted Image

Still, March gave us some crumbs loafs for comfort at least! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Decided to have a look at this famous failed easterly from last year. This and the pages following:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75166-model-output-discussion-12z-04122012/page-26

'That ECM' blew my mind and the NW servers,

Posted

An interesting read for sure!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

An interesting read for sure!

Brings a tear to my eye...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Sucked in by the models and 'its coming' quote despite having own method. It suckered us

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

A Green Christmas Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image 

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

A Green Christmas Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Urgh horrendous chart! Hope them -16-20 uppers a stones throw away are placed over us. One thing we are overdue is a white christmas. Theres been far too many mild mushy ones, especially in my lifetime anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I always think a potent cold spell on 25th Dec is wasted anyway, everyone would be too busy turkeying and boozing to be bothered, best time was 2010 and 1987, start of January causes maximum chaos and fun.

• Like 1

Posted

You need balance, you want it to be far enough into the season to bring cold enough air but still early enough that you can maximise profit (ie - difference between sea / 2m temps and upper air - first half of Jan the best time to take advantage, mind you, I have never bought into the 'feb a waste of time because of increasing sun strength' argument either.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

I always think a potent cold spell on 25th Dec is wasted anyway, everyone would be too busy turkeying and boozing to be bothered, best time was 2010 and 1987, start of January causes maximum chaos and fun.

snow is great at Christmas u can get a snowball fight with the family and give the uncles etc a good pasting

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Brings a tear to my eye...

Words couldn't describe how gutted I was!! 

We live and we learn. This is what really made me wiser about trusting and believing every output. Instead I actually observe and go through my own head what likely scenarios will crop up in time with the model runs as they advance. Anything over 5 days out is no wiser than what we are. 

A hobby that I will never get bored of and do till the day I die, observing and anticipating the weather!

Posted

snow is great at Christmas u can get a snowball fight with the family and give the uncles etc a good pasting

Maybe its just me then!, I have no kids and don't always see the family at xmas, maybe Im a victor meldrew!

• Like 1

Posted

I would add January 1985 to that too.  I agree, a couple of weeks after Xmas is the best time for cold and snow.

Posted

I would add January 1985 to that too.  I agree, a couple of weeks after Xmas is the best time for cold and snow.

I don't remember that one exactly but I do remember that nearly every year up until the last 2 of the eighties, we had time off school due to snow, that's the measurement I used to go by and we got plastered nearly every year up until the last 2 years of the decade, feb 1986 a good one, I remember watching the B&H masters snooker on TV after my mom kept me at home because of the weather.

Posted

The week before Christmas is the best time for snow I think makes it nice and seasonal as long as its not to deep

Posted

The week before Christmas is the best time for snow I think makes it nice and seasonal as long as its not to deep

Not too sure about that, I don't think its worth it unless you have depth TBH.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Surely the perfect scenario is to wake up to a light covering on the ground, clear blue skies. Then as the final piece of turkey (other meats are available) the sky goes that wintry shade of grey and snow comes down thick and fast, still very still, perfect for a wintry Christmas day walk with the snow building up quickly enough for late afternoon frolics in the snow Posted Image

• Like 6