Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013/2014 Forecasts/Hopes/Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Steve Murr taking on the other giants and the models and beating them on the model thread!! cracking effort - long may it be cold!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Steve Murr taking on the other giants and the models and beating them on the model thread!! cracking effort - long may it be cold!!!

agree about SM, but save cold setups for 6 weeks yet, 6 weeks too early for possible snow for low levels in the south

Posted

agree about SM, but save cold setups for 6 weeks yet, 6 weeks too early for possible snow for low levels in the south

If I had a straight choice of course but I haven't, so I just concentrate on it being as cold as possible in any given timeframe.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Most we got here was 5-6 inches, in mid-January 2013... but down the road in Consett and Derwentside, Cloud 10 and others saw a foot and even more in drifts off of a huge snow event towards the end of the spell.2008-09: largest depth 11cm2009-10: largest depth 34cm2010-11: largest depth 42cm2011-12: largest depth 1cm2012-13: largest depth 15cm

For me winters..09: 14cm10: 29cm11: 23cm12: 9cm13: 16cm plus the final snowfall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

What's 'Big Steve Murr' saying?  His 'ode to Winter' in my opinion is the best contribution on this site by 'anyone'

BFTP

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

What's 'Big Steve Murr' saying?  His 'ode to Winter' in my opinion is the best contribution on this site by 'anyone'

BFTP

It will be nice to be on the same side as him when the winter cold really sets in. It's weird going against his viewpoints and perspective over the past month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

As regards to the coming winter altho the snow cover to the north and east is important its not the main player regarding a below average winter.the siberian high is a very rare visitor these days so if it shows its hand its a bonus! The qbo and nao remain the main players for me.gp made a good point the other day regarding higher than normal sea temps in the north atlantic and around greenland! Thses anomilies are possibly the biggest pointer towards a bocked and cold winter ie a negative nao.2010 shows this perfectly and is worth a look in the archives!

Always keeping watch sea temps around Greenland, there is a particular known zone of warmth that's a player for cold here.

bocked and cold winter... Does that bring more snow? Posted Image 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

With the recent US government shut down, I think their National Weather Service is trying to say something...

Posted Image

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=AFC&product=AFD&format=TXT&version=5&glossary=0

That's a rare one! That is amazing you picked that out! had not seen it before you posted it, not many would spot that! Look at the next 3 sentences down below your highlighted box... FSO 

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

going by the snow and ice thread the snow cover looks quite good. A qs didn't we have a siberian high at the start of w2012-2013?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Snow creeping steadily further SW.

Posted Image

Top chart; cold and wintery in Scandinavia w/ very cold uppers dashing south into Europe, and some low temperatures under a cool inversion high here in the UK. Perfect to build up the excitement for Winter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

going by the snow and ice thread the snow cover looks quite good. A qs didn't we have a siberian high at the start of w2012-2013?

This is the archive for the start of last winter

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Every 5 days up-to the 20th

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Top chart; cold and wintery in Scandinavia w/ very cold uppers dashing south into Europe, and some low temperatures under a cool inversion high here in the UK. Perfect to build up the excitement for Winter.

GFS has snow for Scandinavia at the end of the run with -8C uppers. Nice to see.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

We did, but we must not speak of that period in time ever again, too many bad memories of that failed beast from the east Posted Image

Posted

Lets hope this GFS run that's just trickling out now carries on the theme, both in terms of snowcover buildup in Eastern Europe and from a UK point of view that the 'Murr  cold switcharound speciality' continues.

Posted

I was just thinking maybe if the run upgraded the cold spell we could see hill snow as the uppers get to -4c and the dam gets to 528dam over central scotland. hmmm

probably on high ground but TBH snow on high ground in Scotland is never out of the question in mid October wheras Southern and Central England it almost always is out of the question.

Posted

No I mean here not Scotland like maybe to 300m???

Although I think the max temps are little too high for that. Ideally about 7c. 

too high temps - too low altitude,

No I mean here not Scotland like maybe to 300m???

Although I think the max temps are little too high for that. Ideally about 7c. 

probably need to at least double your altitude unless a massive upgrade, and anyway there is very unlikely to be any precipitation in Northern Ireland anyway as the high topples.

Posted

Yes but i'm saying that if the run VERIFIES maybe we will be able to see some snow.

What would the parameters be for hill snow?

-5c uppers and 528 dam?

lower I would say but there is a quide for for forecasting snow, there is loads of parameters to consider,

Posted

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/77743-winter-20132014-forecastshopesdiscussion-thread/page-95#entry2801923

Ask John Holmes if your unsure but I think there is really no chance of snow this week in your location.

• Like 1