Posted Image

Posted Image

Milder February

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

looks like a mess to me don't look right to me at all

Dec looks coldest month on them, frost and fog dominant, would have thought below average England and Wales, average for Scotland and Ireland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Posted Image

"very mild today isn't it?"

"well, that's what the CFS says anyway"

Never realized James Madden has such a big garden...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Netweathers long range NCEP maps continue to back an average to slightly above average December for England and wales

Posted Image

Posted Image

January and February show a mixed bag max of 1c below normal in parts of England and wales and up-to 2c below for western Scotland

A long way to March yet but its once again as per this March shown to be colder than the 3 winter months UK wide with an easterly flow across the country and high pressure across Spain, Portugal and extending up into France

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Dec looks coldest month on them, frost and fog dominant, would have thought below average England and Wales, average for Scotland and Ireland

With pressure anomalies that high, I would expect the weather to be dominated by fog, which for Scotland in December would likely mean freezing fog given the very little amount of daylight, so it would likely be cold for Scotland and perhaps Ireland too. 

Posted

Netweathers long range NCEP maps continue to back an average to slightly above average December for England and wales

Posted Image

That doesn't make much sense. Parts of western Scotland and Western Isles with a -1c anomaly but

parts of western Northern Ireland with a +1C anomaly.

• Like 1

Posted

Can you please refrain from posting daily CFS charts, it gives a poor guide to newcommers to the site.

Perhaps an average (weekly maybe) would have a more sound footing.

Futhermore, you're using the above charts to make conclusions that are at best innacurate.

Regards.

I tend to agree but why did you then repost all of the b things?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

A long way to March yet but its once again as per this March shown to be colder than the 3 winter months UK wide with an easterly flow across the country and high pressure across Spain, Portugal and extending up into France

That would be low pressure across Europe as you won't get an easterly flow over the UK with high pressure/Euro high over mainland Europe would ya?! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Virgins

I have a goldfish brain.. I thought they were new........ besides they were pretty.

Edited by Skyraker

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

There is no correlation between arctic ice melt and winters in the NH, a loose connection at best but if comparing all of our severest winters bar December 2010 from the last 100 years then the correlation would be the more ice retention in summer then the  probability of a colder winter is higher. Of course with all things being equal the probability of a milder winter is just as high.Posted Image

Posted Image

The recent figures though are interesting. If we look at recent below average Arctic ice years and above average Arctic years and compare the H500 anomalies then the winter differences are quite drastic. 

Years here:

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/charctic-interactive-sea-ice-graph/

Low sea Ice anomaly

post-4523-0-66975900-1379969151_thumb.pn

High Sea Ice anomaly

post-4523-0-58697300-1379969139_thumb.pn

No correlation? Not so sure.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Maybe just a reference to newcomers that don't even know what the fuss is all about Posted Image

Posted

When is the CFS going to be put out of its misery? An utter waste of resources which would be better spent elsewhere. In terms of hopes for the winter, well with my UK head on I think many of the cold/snow lovers would like to see more of those crystal clear sunny days and frosty nights rather than much of the grim constant cloudy conditions associated with the colder spells of last winter.

Although the UK did see some decent cold spells night time minima were too often moderated by the cloud and the crunchy snow brigade weren't happy!

For down here lots of sunshine would be welcome and the ski resorts will be happy to see a lot less snow and more sun, the ridiculous amounts of snow that fell were really not good with lots of avalanches, this then subsequently resulted in some awful flooding as the snow melt allied with warm rain led to severe flooding all along the Gave De Pau.

The will it or won't it proper easterly( sunshine and heavy snow showers rather than the dreary cloudy stuff with snow grains) question will probably be the subject of much debate, the five star weather heaven for cold and snow lovers especially in the east has been incredibly difficult to find in recent years.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted

The recent figures though are interesting. If we look at recent below average Arctic ice years and above average Arctic years and compare the H500 anomalies then the winter differences are quite drastic. 

Years here:

Low sea Ice anomaly

Posted ImageLow sea ice Dec-Feb.png

High Sea Ice anomaly

Posted ImageHigh sea ice Dec - Feb.png

I don't know if this is the same Cohen as the one who does the Siberian snow cover forecasts - this guys newest paper points to a strong link between low ice extent and severe winters.

This from the early online release of the paper.

"This research shows for the first time how both sea ice melt and rapid snow advance are related to more severe winter weather," Judah Cohen, Ph.D. principal scientist and director of seasonal forecasting at AER, who is lead author of the study. "The results suggest that record sea ice melt last autumn contributed to the individual extreme weather events of last winter. Using a statistical rather than dynamical model, we established the relationship between declining sea ice, more extensive snow cover in northern Eurasia, and a weakened polar vortex, which allows cold air normally confined to the northern latitudes to spread southward."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/aer-scientists-uncover-link-between-declining-arctic-sea-ice-and-colder-winters-2013-09-12

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

I don't know if this is the same Cohen as the one who does the Siberian snow cover forecasts - this guys newest paper points to a strong link between low ice extent and severe winters.

This from the early online release of the paper.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/aer-scientists-uncover-link-between-declining-arctic-sea-ice-and-colder-winters-2013-09-12

It is 

Full paper here : http://www.tos.org/oceanography/archive/26-4_cohen.pdf

I think that I mentioned it a week or so back after Sebastiaan linked to it, thanks for the reminder.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

When is the CFS going to be put out of its misery? An utter waste of resources which would be better spent elsewhere. In terms of hopes for the winter, well with my UK head on I think many of the cold/snow lovers would like to see more of those crystal clear sunny days and frosty nights rather than much of the grim constant cloudy conditions associated with the colder spells of last winter.

Although the UK did see some decent cold spells night time minima were too often moderated by the cloud and the crunchy snow brigade weren't happy!

For down here lots of sunshine would be welcome and the ski resorts will be happy to see a lot less snow and more sun, the ridiculous amounts of snow that fell were really not good with lots of avalanches, this then subsequently resulted in some awful flooding as the snow melt allied with warm rain led to severe flooding all along the Gave De Pau.

The will it or won't it proper easterly( sunshine and heavy snow showers rather than the dreary cloudy stuff with snow grains) question will probably be the subject of much debate, the five star weather heaven for cold and snow lovers especially in the east has been incredibly difficult to find in recent years.

Hi nickPosted Image  If the choice comes down to a dull, cloudy, dry and cold easterly with 3C or a dull, low cloud, drizzly gale force south westerly for weeks at a time with 13C then I don't need to think for a split second which I infinitely preferPosted Image Posted Image  I think this sums up just how much expectations have changed with the colder winters of recent yearsPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

The Sea Ice is back up over 5m Km Sq,  http://www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/en/home/seaice_extent.htm

Compared to last year we are miles ahead. But what is also interesting to note, is the healthy amount of snow starting to build up over Russia.

Over in Snow and Ice thread, a member posted some Sat Maps showing a similar Ice/Snow cover for this time of year for 2010 and 2013.  If you're in to omens then hold on to your hats!

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The Sea Ice is back up over 5m Km Sq,  http://www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/en/home/seaice_extent.htm

Compared to last year we are miles ahead. But what is also interesting to note, is the healthy amount of snow starting to build up over Russia.

Over in Snow and Ice thread, a member posted some Sat Maps showing a similar Ice/Snow cover for this time of year for 2010 and 2013.  If you're in to omens then hold on to your hats!

Posted Image

If anything over the next week or so it's going to get even colder over Russia and Siberia, so we should see the snow cover build nicely

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

If anything over the next week or so it's going to get even colder over Russia and Siberia, so we should see the snow cover build nicely

Not sure how common this is at this time of year but the 7 day forecast for Ojmjakon drops to a max of -5c on Monday with a minimum of -15c

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/RU/Ojmjakon.html

Posted

Years here:

Low sea Ice anomaly

Posted ImageLow sea ice Dec-Feb.png

High Sea Ice anomaly

Posted ImageHigh sea ice Dec - Feb.png

Thats why I said there was a loose connection, but if we look at past ice conditions in the arctic then any correlation between ice retention and a cold winter in the NH is pretty poor to say the least.

Posted

When is the CFS going to be put out of its misery? An utter waste of resources which would be better spent elsewhere. In terms of hopes for the winter, well with my UK head on I think many of the cold/snow lovers would like to see more of those crystal clear sunny days and frosty nights rather than much of the grim constant cloudy conditions associated with the colder spells of last winter.Although the UK did see some decent cold spells night time minima were too often moderated by the cloud and the crunchy snow brigade weren't happy!For down here lots of sunshine would be welcome and the ski resorts will be happy to see a lot less snow and more sun, the ridiculous amounts of snow that fell were really not good with lots of avalanches, this then subsequently resulted in some awful flooding as the snow melt allied with warm rain led to severe flooding all along the Gave De Pau.The will it or won't it proper easterly( sunshine and heavy snow showers rather than the dreary cloudy stuff with snow grains) question will probably be the subject of much debate, the five star weather heaven for cold and snow lovers especially in the east has been incredibly difficult to find in recent years.

Lol, your starting to sound like me with regards to those pitiful easterlies we endure 90% of the time Nick, I'm still waiting for my 78/79 winter to revisit us in the UK maybe this winter will be the one.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Not sure how common this is at this time of year but the 7 day forecast for Ojmjakon drops to a max of -5c on Monday with a minimum of -15c

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/RU/Ojmjakon.html

Not sure. Hopefully Scandi gets in on the action soon. The Ice Hotel will be getting built soon.