Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013/2014 Forecasts/Hopes/Discussion Thread

Posted

We not had a notably cold February for years. The last one was 1991. We have had December 2010 and the cold January 2010, both at least 2.0C below the 1961-90 average in recent times. Add in that the fact we just had that remarkably cold March, it feels like a really cold February has to be round the corner.

If we can get a December and March as cold as that still, I can't see why we can't get a frigid February at least in the near future.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted

We not had a notably cold February for years. The last one was 1991. We have had December 2010 and the cold January 2010, both at least 2.0C below the 1961-90 average in recent times. Add in that the fact we just had that remarkably cold March, it feels like a really cold February has to be round the corner.If we can get a December and March as cold as that still, I can't see why we can't get a frigid February at least in the near future.

Perhaps a sub-zero CET January is "overdue", too? 1979 was the last one, further back in time than both Dec (2010) and Feb (1986). Throughout the entire CET series a sub-zero Jan occurs, on average, roughly every 18 years. The last one was 34 years ago, however, the largest gap between sub-zero Jan's (1881 to 1940) was 59 years so it doesn't mean one is just around the corner by any means.

You're right about Feb, though. We have had a few "chilly" ones recently but not a "cold" one since 1991. Maybe 2014 will give us both a sub-zero Jan and a cold Feb. Or then again, not!

Edited by March Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Am I right in thinking similar charts have been frequent on the CFS for some time, Crewe? Wasn't the CFS also calling for a cold March 2013 months in advance, as well?

Yep and yep. Nothing is guaranteed though. FWIW the CFS has been gunning for this scenario since May.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Hopefully we get something like this in January Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

HA HA Gaz !! You do love to get backs up on here :-)

My Hopes are...

Dec - Slow start, White XMas inti new year

Jan - Cold and snow

Feb - Cold and snow

March - Cold and snow

My Expectations based on CURRENT indications...

Dec - Average

Jan - Mild

Feb - Average

I think there's likely to be a lot of disappointed people on here this Winter and I think many won't see a flake all winter long :-(

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Got a feeling we could see a late November flurry or two but overall am keeping my hopes low this year.

Last year the Medway Snow Shield held up almost all winter with the exception of a couple of inches.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Let's hope for cold all the way through winter, especially some of those CFS anomaly charts! Lots of snow and frosts. Cool in the run up will do me. If it doesn't come off then there's always the next one. As long as the heat doesn't come back it'll be fine....the colder the better.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Latest CFS shows a south easterly flow setting up for December

Posted Image

Of course this is all subject to change but if netweather NCEP charts are right a lot of people could end up disappointed as they point to a fairly average UK winter temperature wise with only December finishing below the anomaly for England and Wales -1 below is the lowest it gets for the bulk its average to just -0.5 below

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Latest CFS January anomaly Posted Image

Posted Imagewow.png

A wee bit too early for such x-rated charts.

Any chance of showing us the corresponding sea level pressure chart.

Posted

A wee bit too early for such x-rated charts.

Any chance of showing us the corresponding sea level pressure chart.

It will change on the next update but this is what it currently has

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Blizzards all winter

England grinds to a halt

So say throwoff!

Also, I have never seen such a ramping long range as this.

Calling 60% confidence for December in September?!

http://kasimsweatherwatcher.com/winter-forecast-201314/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Blizzards all winter

England grinds to a halt

So say throwoff!

Also, I have never seen such a ramping long range as this.

Calling 60% confidence for December in September?!

http://kasimsweatherwatcher.com/winter-forecast-201314/

the UK grinds to a halt at the mention of winter!

Posted

A number of factors will decide winter regardless of CFS shows.

If the Stratosphere stays cold that will help to keep our winter mild. A positive QBO correlated to a stronger Polar Vortex and therefore the chances of prolonged cold are incredibly unlikely due to the lack of any high latitude blocking.

Until we can get an idea of how the Stratosphere is looking for winter its impossible to predict what sort of winter we'll get

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Autumn and winter are lovely seasons...cool or cold most of the time, fresh and clean..hopefully we'll get a good winter this year. Even if it's average it'll still be cool and fresh..none of the stuffy mild rubbish :).hopefully. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

There is quite a widespread belief that lasting snow cover is difficult to achieve in February due to the increasing strength of the sun, and I think this is heavily fuelled by the lack of a really potent February cold spell in recent years, to rival the ones that we had in Decembers 2009 and 2010, January 2010, and March 2013.  The Februarys of 2009 and 2010 were both snowy but with an emphasis on marginal snow events, and lasting snow cover only affected regions where there were repeated top-ups.  However, the February 2012 cold spell should have provided some encouragement, when many parts of southern, central and eastern England had a week to ten days of snow cover despite only two or three individual snowfalls.

The cold spell in early February 1991 was exceptionally intense but it is worth noting that a February cold spell could be a few degrees warmer than that, and still produce widespread maxima near or below freezing.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

FWIW, based on my more updated August-September-October projections and modelling; November looks to be cooler than average.

Posted ImageNov_AIR_TEMP_2.png

November looks interesting even when you take out the projected +ve heights to the NE and nearby polar jet activity- though it is much more conductive to more N/NE rather than E/SE flow if October does come out as +ve AO month. I think I'd go 40-60 for the October CET to be below average, and 70-30 for the November one to be. I think December will be pretty dry, but all signals are for a pretty average/slightly milder start to the season.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I am trying to decide to contract or buy and use sim only (the latter does work out cheaper, just needs an outlay first)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I am trying to decide to contract or buy and use sim only (the latter does work out cheaper, just needs an outlay first)

IF you may want to factor this anomaly in! ;) Edited by Radiating Dendrite
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

There is quite a widespread belief that lasting snow cover is difficult to achieve in February due to the increasing strength of the sun, and I think this is heavily fuelled by the lack of a really potent February cold spell in recent years, to rival the ones that we had in Decembers 2009 and 2010, January 2010, and March 2013.  The Februarys of 2009 and 2010 were both snowy but with an emphasis on marginal snow events, and lasting snow cover only affected regions where there were repeated top-ups.  However, the February 2012 cold spell should have provided some encouragement, when many parts of southern, central and eastern England had a week to ten days of snow cover despite only two or three individual snowfalls.

The cold spell in early February 1991 was exceptionally intense but it is worth noting that a February cold spell could be a few degrees warmer than that, and still produce widespread maxima near or below freezing.

It can happen towards the middle of March as well. March 2013 had two consecutive ice days and powder snow cover here , followed by a gradual increase in temperature to a few degrees above freezing by day but still hard frosts at night. With sub zero dew points snow lasted in the shade for the best part of a week. Several days after the powder snowstorm, the temperature actually fell below freezing again after lunch with a biting easterly wind and further snow flurries. Vey unusual indeed for mid March

It doesn't get much better than that so late in the seasonPosted Image Posted Image

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

February has taken the most sub zero months here in the last 100 years including1942, 1947,1963,1956,1969 and 1986 the others being Januarys of 1940,1941,1963 and 1979 also December 1981 and 2010

Edited by hillbilly