Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013/2014 Forecasts/Hopes/Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The latest Netweather NCEP remain consistent for winter so far by keeping temperatures average or slightly above for the bulk of us only parts of Scotland have slightly below average temperatures for the 3 months a small part of eastern England is below average for December but that's it for the UK

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

December continues to look the driest month especially for the south

So once again the NCEP charts are suggesting a mild winter for most with the only exception parts of Scotland

:)

Posted

The latest Netweather NCEP remain consistent for winter so far by keeping temperatures average or slightly above for the bulk of us only parts of Scotland have slightly below average temperatures for the 3 months a small part of eastern England is below average for December but that's it for the UK

December continues to look the driest month especially for the south

So once again the NCEP charts are suggesting a mild winter for most with the only exception parts of Scotland

Posted Image

Looking at them charts there is more green than any other colour. Suggesting average?. Obviously there would be colder and milder interludes as in any other winter. Don't know where you get a mild winter from?

Posted

Looking at them charts there is more green than any other colour. Suggesting average?. Obviously there would be colder and milder interludes as in any other winter. Don't know where you get a mild winter from?

Bits of yellow across part of the north for all 3 winter months would give some there a fairly mild winter and parts of the south could come in slightly above average as well

What is clear at the moment there is a standoff between CFS which keeps hinting at a cool winter http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.meteociel.fr%2Fmodeles%2Fgfse_cartes.php&act=url

Then we have CFS V2 which is average - http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/wwang/cfsv2fcst/htmls/euT2me1Sea.html - and Netweather's NCEP which is average to slightly above for England, wales and parts of Scotland

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Bits of yellow across part of the north for all 3 winter months would give some there a fairly mild winter and parts of the south could come in slightly above average as well

What is clear at the moment there is a standoff between CFS which keeps hinting at a cool winter http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.meteociel.fr%2Fmodeles%2Fgfse_cartes.php&act=url

Then we have CFS V2 which is average - http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/wwang/cfsv2fcst/htmls/euT2me1Sea.html - and Netweather's NCEP which is average to slightly above for England, wales and parts of Scotland

Yeah but you can't pull out small bits of yellow and call it a mild winter for most lol, thats like me pulling out bits of blue and calling it a below average winter for most cos it just wouldn't be true.

Posted

Mild and dry please with plenty of sunshine. Don't mind a touch of early frost so long as it warms up nicely during the day. And all done by the end of February; spring 2013 was deeply unpleasant.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

KaBLAAM!!   And I'm back once more for the winter madness!!!  Posted Image

Hopes:  Snow and lots of it.  

Gut Feeling:  We are in a trend of cooler than average winters with the odd mild one for the foreseeable future. 

This year?  EPIC COLD & SNOW!  (IMO - not based on any data)

Hey folks, I'm baaaaack. So I do think we are in the pattern of one mild winter in three atm.(So a reversal of the awful 90's drudgery) If you take the last 4/5 winters in a row into account, then I think, from memory, only one was a damp squib with the others having at the minimum, a 2 - 4 week arctic blast for the majority of the country at some point. These patterns are cyclical and there have been periods throughout history where colder winters become dominant for period of time, then milder, then colder etc... 

The Solar Max has been utterly mince and I believe we've passed the peak. So if you're an advocate for solar influence like me, then we could be heading for another cold one. However, I'm unsure how much lag there is between solar weather and observable effects here on earth. 

How will the recent summer influence our winter? Well, while it was fab to have a decent summer longer that two weeks for the first time in years, I reckon that's down to law of probability rather than any developing trend.

Soooo, these are my thoughts, make of them what you will.

Posted

Yeah but you can't pull out small bits of yellow and call it a mild winter for most lol, thats like me pulling out bits of blue and calling it a below average winter for most cos it just wouldn't be true.

Add to that how Gavin is being selective when using the CFS V2 model. Posted Image

Posted

Add to that how Gavin is being selective when using the CFS V2 model. Posted Image

You say selective but CFS V2 for winter is showing an average winter parts of eastern Europe could be above average

This is the 3 different possibilities for winter as a whole

And now the 3 different possibilities for individual winter months

1st

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

2nd

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

3rd

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Only one of those charts goes for a below average month in parts of Scotland other than that the UK is average to slightly above in the south at times Eastern Europe is also above average on quite a few of those charts

Posted

You say selective but CFS V2 for winter is showing an average winter parts of eastern Europe could be above average

This is the 3 different possibilities for winter as a whole

And now the 3 different possibilities for individual winter months

1st

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

2nd

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

3rd

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Only one of those charts goes for a below average month in parts of Scotland other than that the UK is average to slightly above in the south at times Eastern Europe is also above average on quite a few of those charts

It's selective as in your cherry picking charts in isolation rather than using it as it should be used, which has been explained to you on a number of occasions.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Given the fickle nature of the CFS, I think it's reasonably fair to say that any attempt at interpreting it is a form of cherry-picking? Maybe not intentional cherry-picking but cherry-picking nonetheless...Posted Image 

• Like 1

Posted

Given the fickle nature of the CFS, I think it's reasonably fair to say that any attempt at interpreting it is a form of cherry-picking? Maybe not intentional cherry-picking but cherry-picking nonetheless...Posted Image 

Any model which goes beyond +72hrs is cherry picking really Pete.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

It's selective as in your cherry picking charts in isolation rather than using it as it should be used, which has been explained to you on a number of occasio. ns.

. Agreed...cred/ jamstec etc need fully viewing,on overall trend setting,thus lrfs are complex at best.However if viewed on just that trending, imo, the overall evolve trend dare I say,..to date fruition of below av,upcoming..with, opp, for a blocked scenario!!!!

. Agreed...cred/ jamstec etc need fully viewing,on overall trend setting,thus lrfs are complex at best.However if viewed on just that trending, imo, the overall evolve trend dare I say,..to date fruition of below av,upcoming..with, opp, for a blocked scenario!!!!

that goes same for cfs, overall !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

I'm confused now, this kind of cherry picking Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image Anyone fancy a bakewell

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Looking at those charts above, that would suggest blocking to our north and west. Ala 2009/10 and 10/11. 

Agreed. Looks like a strong signals for High to the West & North with us under a easterly flow. Thats what some of the CFS runs have been sowing lately for a while, obviously there has been runs where it looks milder. Still early days yet! 

Posted

Looking at those charts above, that would suggest blocking to our north and west. Ala 2009/10 and 10/11. 

2009 /10 was cold throughout with some big falls of snow across the country I seem to remember

2010 / 11 was a cold start winter in December but it improved through January and more so February it was also warmer than the winter of 09 / 10 despite the bitter December

4.8°C below average during December (coldest December in over 100 years)

0.6°C below average in January

1.7°C above average in February.

The UK mean temperature for the winter of 2010 / 11 as a whole was 2.4 Â°C, making it less cold than winter 2009 / 10 which was 1.6 Â°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

That's also true - I'm often guilty of it, myself - I think, however, that it's not helped by the idea that at least one of the models will verify; I've come to the conclusion that that is seldom the case?Posted Image 

• Like 1

Posted

2009 /10 was cold throughout with some big falls of snow across the country I seem to remember

2010 / 11 was a cold start winter in December but it improved through January and more so February it was also warmer than the winter of 09 / 10 despite the bitter December

4.8°C below average during December (coldest December in over 100 years)

0.6°C below average in January

1.7°C above average in February.

The UK mean temperature for the winter of 2010 / 11 as a whole was 2.4 Â°C, making it less cold than winter 2009 / 10 which was 1.6 Â°C

I remember the netweather winter 2012/13 video forecast saying that average temps could be 3-4 below in some months.

Posted

I remember the netweather winter 2012/13 video forecast saying that average temps could be 3-4 below in some months.

The coldest winter month last winter ended up -0.6 below average in February but March came in 3.0 below average at just 2.7

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Feb was 1.2C below the 1980-2010 average although the second half of Jan was the coldest period of winter.

Of course it depends what average you go by.

Posted

Feb was 1.2C below the 1980-2010 average although the second half of Jan was the coldest period of winter.

Of course it depends what average you go by.

I was basing it on the met office anomaly http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/cet_info_mean.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Yes Gavin, the CFS v2 looks positively balmy.......Oh, hang on those red colours mean a block over Greenland, silly me.

post-10987-0-65662500-1378477061_thumb.p

P.s where you see red pixels over Greenland on those charts you posted, N blocking is being denoted-regardless of whether the UK is still shown in white or 'average'.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Yes Gavin, the CFS v2 looks positively balmy.......Oh, hang on those red colours mean a block over Greenland, silly me.

Posted ImageN block.png

P.s where you see red pixels over Greenland on those charts you posted, N blocking is being denoted-regardless of whether the UK is still shown in white or 'average'.

From our point of view though we wouldn't like to see the lows tracking too far south so better if the blues were a BIT further North else we could just be a few isolated snow showers rather than an absolute ripper.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Let's hope this Winter is filled with Bartlett highs, might be a bit quiet in here if that happens Posted Image , we can all enjoy the mildness without the shivering and sky high energy bills Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Here is a fairly detailed look at winter from a member on the weather outlook

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/yaf_postst11352_Winter-2013-14-Prospects-and-Forecasts.aspx

Conclusion

Signals are variable all rather weakened suggesting a near average winter. It seems best to look at the trends in the CFSv2 models and  the METO probability maps before making a conclusion at the end of November!