Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 28/08/13 00z ------------------>

A.J

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Absolutely tanking it down here at the moment, but judging by the radar, not half as badly as it is elsewhere in the region.  The tail of this present area of rain now to the west of the Channels Islands looks rather lively!  Suspect that it will miss us here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Is it nighttime? Lol. No thunder and lightning here yet, but the rain is pretty heavy and it is very dark. I thought the showers were meant to start off light?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Its raining here now.

No thunder yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Interesting day for many parts of South & West England, south of the M4;

http://www.euclid.org/realtime.html

Further showers & storms are also likely as the day develops. I wouldn't be suprised if the thundery element gets restricted into the Channel later on however as the unstable airmass subsides slightly;

post-12721-0-89042900-1380360505_thumb.j

But there is still enough advection in the upper level flow to create further convective activity throughout the afternoon;

post-12721-0-12627100-1380360576_thumb.jpost-12721-0-22165600-1380360585_thumb.j

Especially across Devon, Cornwall & Dorset.

Some impressive overnight thunderstorms looking on the radar loop. More to come over the next few hours too, with more shower activity flowing across the edge of the theta advection, SE/NW.

:)

• Like 1

Posted

I'm not altogether sure where the air is coming from but with hazy sunshine after the sharp bursts of rain it feels positively tropical. Surely a good chance of home growns breaking out this afternoon should the sun come through strongly which seems likely given the brightness approaching from the South. Humidity is 90%!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

15.2C - 93% humidity, 6mm of rain. Hazy sunshine here at the moment. I had a few more showers this morning, nothing quite like the thunder & lightning around 1am though.  Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

15.2C - 93% humidity, 6mm of rain. Hazy sunshine here at the moment. I had a few more showers this morning, nothing quite like the thunder & lightning around 1am though.  Posted Image

We had a storm here too in East Dorset around 2.30am. Do think we have see the last of the storms for now Mapantz?

Posted

We had a storm here too in East Dorset around 2.30am. Do think we have see the last of the storms for now Mapantz?

Storm wise, i'm not sure. The good ingredients for those shifted West slightly. The current radar shows where the trough is but that does get shunted away by a front moving up later today, so we may still have a chance for some beefy showers later on today/evening, and who knows, maybe a rumble of thunder mixed in too.  I guess we'll just have to radar watch on & off through the day and gauge things that way.

I was surprised by last night's if i'm honest, i was waiting in the pub for the heavy shower to stop, to which it did, so i made a dash for it, the streets had rivers of water coming down them but where they've now turned off all the lighting at 1am, you cannot see a thing in the backstreets, where i live, you have to physically grope the walls to work out where you are! Posted Image That's when the lightning started, it aided me home. Posted Image

Fingers crossed for later!

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Well that load of moderate rain that came through didn't produce any thunder.

Will be very dissapointed if nothing happens, its all too far west as usual just like what happened with a narrow group of storms that moved north overnight back in July.

Posted

38.2mm of rain since midnight

Just a few hours ago, the BBC tweeted to say 14.2mm fell at Exeter airport in three hours. More to come for you folks down there, stay safe! 

Guest William Grimsley

There was 3 overhead claps of thunder this morning, here. It shook me up, I tell you. A big thunderstorm is heading this way now, here.

• Like 1

Posted

There was 3 overhead claps of thunder this morning, here. It shook me up, I tell you. A big thunderstorm is heading this way now, here.

Lucky you!

There has been nothing here but some rain so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

more storms developing over the french coast and the channel islands, these are heading for south devon....Brixham's the place to be today!

The storm threat seems to be moving further to the west as that's where the best instability is...not ruling out something happening over dorset/wilts, but it would be the exception rather than the norm