Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Britain drawing up plans for military action over alleged chemical attack.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Here we go again everyone, our war-mongering elite could be taking us into yet another conflict of 'interest'. When will it end? 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23845765

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 596
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Well this is interesting from the Saudis:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/world-business/saudis-offer-russia-secret-oil-deal-if-it-drops-syria-20130827-2smvt.html

Saudi Arabia has secretly offered Russia a sweeping deal to control the global oil market and safeguard Russia’s gas contracts, if the Kremlin backs away from the Assad regime in Syria. The revelations come amid high tension in the Middle East, with US, British, and French warships poised for missile strikes against Syria, and Iran threatening to retaliate. The strategic jitters pushed Brent crude prices to a five-month high of $US112 a barrel. ‘‘We are only one incident away from a serious oil spike. The market is a lot tighter than people think,’’ said Chris Skrebowski, editor of Petroleum Review.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

One wonders whether the Iranian threat is serious and if that's actually what the west really want.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

One wonders whether the Iranian threat is serious and if that's actually what the west really want.

Probably not that serious I'd suggest, though it would probably ruin the chance to improve relations between the West and Iran's new 'moderate' President (though Rouhani's already been bullish in his support for the Assad regime).

Posted

Here we go again everyone, our war-mongering elite could be taking us into yet another conflict of 'interest'. When will it end? 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23845765

"When will it end?"

Who knows,but this August is shaping up to be very similar to August 1914......Its a worry that's for sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and Thunderstorms

We're only just coming out of recession, and need all the money we have. Here's an idea, let's spend billions to invade a country!

My best guess is that Dave is just following Obama on this. Not sure how he can condemn the killing of innocent people either, has he not seen his drone program? It does sound serious though, especially after the threats from the Saudis, and the fact that Russia do not look like they are going to back down from this. I just wonder how far either side will go.

Edit: UK parliament are putting it to vote on Thursday.

Edited by Sainsbo
    Posted

Here we go again..

Can we please see proper evidence this time, and not some CIA fudge.

I cannot believe for one minute that Assad would use Chemical weapons against his own people when he knows its the one thing that will bring a US response.

The whole thing stinks of a set up to me.

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Here we go again..

A set-up with the aim of misdirecting public attention, away from domestic concerns, do you think?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and Thunderstorms

Something else I find quite fishy: Why on earth would Assad use chemical weapons, the only justifiable reason for the west to intervene, when he has the upper hand in the conflict anyway? It would be ludacris to do so, not to mention the past two weeks UN inspectors have been in the country, so if he had any placs to use chemical weapons, now would be the worst possible time to do so.

Posted

Here we go again..

Can we please see proper evidence this time, and not some CIA fudge.

I cannot believe for one minute that Assad would use Chemical weapons against his own people when he knows its the one thing that will bring a US response.

Assad has so far had no qualms at all about sending the full might of the military in against 'his own people' so I very much doubt he would bat an eyelid at gassing and poisoning them. Far from being the one thing that will bring a US or even a full UN response, I think he knows full well that the last thing the 'free world' wants  to get entangled in is yet another futile war that can never be won.

Posted

More Weapons of Mass Deception jibberish about to be spouted one suspects...just seeing Blix back on our screens is enough to drag back up some very bad memories.

However, if we think Afgan, Iraq, Egypt, Libya etc have proven to be a real cluster ****, interfering in Syria is likely to create problems on a whole new and significantly more serious level.

When parliment drags all it's MP's off the beaches on Thurs, I expect some very prominant voices to speak out about getting involved in yet more middle eastern conflict, but unfortunately it 

will make not a jot of difference. 

The west sees this as an ideal opportunity to engage Iran and they will stop at nothing to ensure this happens...standby, this is going to be a vey bumpy ride imo. 

Edited by shedhead
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Assad has so far had no qualms at all about sending the full might of the military in against 'his own people' so I very much doubt he would bat an eyelid at gassing and poisoning them. Far from being the one thing that will bring a US or even a full UN response, I think he knows full well that the last thing the 'free world' wants  to get entangled in is yet another futile war that can never be won.

He knows as well as many that the use of chemical weapons is the red line when it comes to internal conflicts. It's political suicide.

The current events in the news totally contradict your second sentence, what are the US/UK planning to do, the US already have navy vessels in the eastern Mediterranean. It's just awaited the green light and specific targets to strike.

Free world eh? I wouldn't consider the world free when you are sent to jail for 35 years for exposing a war crime committed by the American military... heh.

In the end should Assad go? yes because everyone has the right to voice in a democratic system, which of course is not happening in Syria. But I have to admit we must remain pacifist and let the regional forces (Other middle-eastern countries) sort this out, not us for reasons we will never find out about (unless there is another "leak")

Edited by Captain shortwave
    • Like 1
    Posted

The point is using conventional weapons was not going to get a US response, using chemical weapons was. Yes, I agree, he is a despot and should be removed, but it has to come from the Arabs not the West.

Posted

He knows as well as many that the use of chemical weapons is the red line when it comes to internal conflicts. It's political suicide.

The current events in the news totally contradict your second sentence, what are the US/UK planning to do, the US already have navy vessels in the eastern Mediterranean. It's just awaited the green light and specific targets to strike.

Free world eh? I wouldn't consider the world free when you are sent to jail for 35 years for exposing a war crime committed by the American military... heh.

In the end should Assad go? yes because everyone has the right to voice in a democratic system, which of course is not happening in Syria. But I have to admit we must remain pacifist and let the regional forces (Other middle-eastern countries) sort this out, not us for reasons we will never find out about (unless there is another "leak")

Can it be proven that it was the Assad regime that used them tho?  Heard all this kind of rhetoric about Saddam and his regime ahead of the Iraq war, indeed the TV was similarly full of pictures of Kurds who'd allegedly been the victims of chemical and biological attacks.  Not saying for one moment they were not genuine, nor am I saying the recent horrific scenes from Damascus where falsified, but we simply have to get concrete evidence of who is to blame before considering any military action.  Hopefully the MP's at Thursdays recall will be made privvy to much greater amounts of 'intel' than those ahead of the Iraq conflict, the stakes are simply to high to treat them all like mushrooms once again and in so doing repeat past mistakes. 

Edited by shedhead
    Posted

The point is using conventional weapons was not going to get a US response, using chemical weapons was. Yes, I agree, he is a despot and should be removed, but it has to come from the Arabs not the West.

Its interesting that you and others say that Arabs should be the ones to sort this when the strategic implications are huge. You'd effectively be allowing an Arab superpower to develop who could very well turn dangerous because Turkey and Egypt will have a vastly disproportionate military might if left to their own devices.If it takes the west getting involved to keep Turkey, Iran and Egypt under control then so be it, I'll be dammed if they are going to get a military close to our strength when they could easily start a holy war.
    Posted

Its interesting that you and others say that Arabs should be the ones to sort this when the strategic implications are huge. You'd effectively be allowing an Arab superpower to develop who could very well turn dangerous because Turkey and Egypt will have a vastly disproportionate military might if left to their own devices.If it takes the west getting involved to keep Turkey, Iran and Egypt under control then so be it, I'll be dammed if they are going to get a military close to our strength when they could easily start a holy war.

Much better if we arm both sides and sit back and enjoy the shootout!

• Like 1
    Posted

Robert Halfon tory MP currently ramping things up via beeb interview - presume he's been over to Syria? Ranting on about free world...brainwashed drivel, hardly calling for calm or reasoned response.Perhaps likes of Robert gets his jackboots on and goes to take his plight there himself?

A case needs to be made....he has started the process, others undoubtedly will follow.

Who are the good guys in this conflict because I sure don't know? We are fed one side of the story by our media and what is required is balance in reporting this issue so the people can make a judgement. If Assad is toppled who replaces him and will it be done via the ballet box or by the bullet.

As it currently stands, if we go to war, the people of this country should be asked and not our elected representatives, whom only have a remit to protect our national security and not fight in a war that we have no interest in. I will never vote for one of the main three parties again if they take us to war and hopefully like minded people will do the same.

• Like 2
    Posted

Much better if we arm both sides and sit back and enjoy the shootout!

Of course not, we should have crippled their military via air strikes 2 years ago.
    Posted

The Turks are not Arabs and would not get involved in a Holy War. It asks as useful buffer to the Christian West.

Posted

Of course not, we should have crippled their military via air strikes 2 years ago.

I guess that that's one of the points I was trying to make...It's hardly the first time the West has 'gone in' all-guns-blazing and created more problems than it's solved...

Edit: Not that Russia, Japan or China have anything to boast about!

Edited by A Boy Named Sue
    • Like 1
    Posted
    Assad is not a stupid man or he wouldn't have the position he has, so my question would be why would he use chemical weapons and why would his troops fire on the UN investigators? Assad's forces were gaining the upper hand thanks to Russian support so from a war perspective the use of CW makes little sense. To me it would be far more lucrative for a self hit by rebels, unless strategically he thinks he can win some political game of chess?

The US & UK are not very good at overall strategy in these situations and seldom looks at the end game. I honestly think both should think carefully before unilateral action and the evidence put before the UN security council prior to any action.
    • Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I guess that that's one of the points I was trying to make...It's hardly the first time the West has 'gone in' all-guns-blazing and created more problems than it's solved...

Wow! Anyone just see the latest news interview with I think they said the former? British Ambassador to Syria? He is the most sensible person I have listened to since this whole fiasco began! In a nutshell, he stated that none of this has been thought through properly, he doesn't understand the rush and the whole thing has been very badly handled.   He more or less said the the Government doesn't appear to have a clue about what it is doing or getting itself into. They are also giving the public the impression that they must be using this as an excuse to cover up their real reasons.  I can.t remember all that he went into now, but he said that we should hope that MPs are more aware of the pitfalls which haven't been considered and we should hope that some breaks can be put on all of this.  Hope it repeats.

Really worth a listen if you can catch it.  He  makes the Government  sound like a bunch of idiots!  BBC News 24.

• Like 6