Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 24/8/13 ------------>

A.J

Posted

Cannot believe it's still raining this morning. My rain catcher has recorded 34.9mm in the last 24 hours, but I think it's been raining for longer than that.

Posted

I had a bbq today and crazy as it seems, the fact we managed to pull it off on a day like today will make it that little bit more memorable. The conservatory helped and the small children didn't care, dancing with abandon in the rain. In the small dry interludes, we all had a wander round the garden, the bbq burned under the garden umbrella hastiliy assembled and positioned over the coals, and it has at least been warm and not windy. All hail to the British Summer, whatever it may bring:)

Hi Dub, I agree with you (then again we were not hosting it!) Apart from the 16 year olds, who would have stayed inside on their gadgets even had it been 30c and sunny, we all had a great time. I even played badminton for 20 minutes in the downpour with 3 of the younger children and fell over just once, on what can only be described as a 'difficult' surface!Anyway, amongst my list of phrases that I never thought I would use, I can safely say that I am ready now to get to Pembrokeshire for a break from the rain.....Will check in from there on and off if the sporadic internet decides to workHave a good day allAS
  • Like 2

Posted

Morning all from a bedraggled north west London where it is absolutely tonking it down again. I make that 27.5 hours of continuous rainfall of varying intensity here. The forecast looks more promising from later today. Have a good one folks.Posted Image

• Like 2

Guest William Grimsley

You should move somewhere like Lincolnshire when you're older if you like storms Will ! They get no end, and for snow, they always blitz it aswell!

Yeah I might do. Would love to storm chase one day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all,

Still soggy here - was hoping to get a decent walk in today but that's not looking likely, on well there is always the duty free booze and a DVD

Posted Image

Morning all form a rather overcast Kempston where it appears we had more rain from about 10pm last night and as of this morning I have now recorded 33.5mm.  In terms the heavy rain further south the last time we had a large rainfall of around 75mm in twenty four hours was Easter 98 when they had all the problems in Northampton which then that caused floods all the way down the River Ouse. I think that was a similar situation where the front stalled and a number of thunderstorms helped increase the rainfall.

On a brighter note it looks better later and there is only one more Bank holiday until ChristmasPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Just a little over 28 hours after it started, it's finally stopped raining here, though there are still some ominous looking skies in the area.

Guest William Grimsley

Just had to take this for posterity! Still a number of roads flooded in the Rayleigh/Hockley area this morningPosted Imageimage.jpg

That's an Oregon. They're always inaccurate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Morning :)

Hung over and not amused, chucked it down on my walk home from the pier where I was getting merry with a friend of mine, safe to say hulk mode was activated. Stupid rain Posted Image

• Like 3

Morning Posted Image

Hung over and not amused, chucked it down on my walk home from the pier where I was getting merry with a friend of mine, safe to say hulk mode was activated. Stupid rain Posted Image

Being drunk (something I find very hard to do) in the rain is horrible... Getting drunk personally is a waste of time... But hope you enjoyed your night Posted Image

Guest William Grimsley

Morning Posted Image

Just to make matters worse, a strong ENE wind as kicked in at Great Yarmouth. Maybe dragging in that 'hated' low cloud off the N Sea?Posted Image

Posted

Just getting our first drop of rain here in Mid Hampshire from this spell of rain - spent the day in London yesterday and got washed out which was a massive shame, couldn't believe it when we got home to find it still dry as a bone. Looking at the radars the eastern Hampshire border was a buffer zone all day.

Posted

Posted Image

It actually didn't stop for 24 hours until a couple of hours ago.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Grey and soggy morning here with a cold NE wind, current temp of 16C. Forecast is for sunny spells 24C.....fingers crossed, not looking likely as yet!

Posted

That's an Oregon. They're always inaccurate.

Blimey, that's a bit of a sweeping statement William. What exactly are you basing that on ?

• Like 3

Posted

I don't think the rain makes a difference. For me it's usually about seeing friends and family and enjoying some lovely barbecued food. We always make a real effort with the quality of the meat with homemade burgers etc so even if the weather is poor it doesn't matter.

• Like 3

Guest William Grimsley

Blimey, that's a bit of a sweeping statement William. What exactly are you basing that on ?

Well, Davis are much more reliable. I wouldn't say there ALWAYS inaccurate but they can be.

Posted

It's not an Oregon William, unless they build them for Watson.. Also Shoeburyness officially recorded 59.2 but BBC forecaster said on Breakfast news he expected some nearby towns got much more than that.. Only 3mm was added overnight which sounds about correct.

Posted

Grey here, but not particularly wet; off for bbq at friends this afternoon - they have asked to be sure to be there for 5 now the nights are drawing in Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

morning all 

well that was a very wet day & night water butts over filled during the night ,stop rainning in kt3 about an hour ago

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Sun appearing here now. Thank goodness!Posted Image

Off to a beer and cider festival / barbecue later. I'm surprised people think a wet barbecue compares well with a sunny one. Each to their own. :)

Edited by Steve C

Posted

Well, Davis are much more reliable. I wouldn't say there ALWAYS inaccurate but they can be.

But that's exactly what you DID say though. "Thats an Oregon. They're always inaccurate." ......anyway enough of that, fingers crossed for all of you planning outdoor activities this afternoon and evening. I hope our friends in Essex have not been too badly affected. Drying up time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, winter snow.

Morning folks,

Many in this region still drying out, methinks. What a memorable day for some. I do try not to MetO bash, but SURELY they should have upgraded the warning to at least amber for the southern part of Essex yesterday afternoon?? (Or maybe they did, and I missed it? In which case, I apologise.)

Anyway, the rain started again overnight here, and continued into the first part of the morning. Garden has registered a total of 23mm over the last 24 hours. Not bad going for one day, but nothing like as impressive as some of the totals on the other side of the Thames Estuary.

Currently 17.9°, with the sun really getting through the cloud now. I hope it stays like this for all those needing to mop out today.

• Like 1