Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 23rd August onwards 2013

Posted

Just to show progression of ideas in the models, GFS is currently touting this for Friday:

Posted Image

Then Saturday:

Posted Image

Posted Image

and Sunday:

Posted Image

Posted Image

So a slow transition to possible isolated events and in areas that will keep some people smiling :winky: Onwards to the weekend then!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Soggy Duxford I fear :(

Guest William Grimsley

Just to show progression of ideas in the models, GFS is currently touting this for Friday:

Posted Image

Then Saturday:

Posted Image

Posted Image

and Sunday:

Posted Image

Posted Image

So a slow transition to possible isolated events and in areas that will keep some people smiling Posted Image Onwards to the weekend then!

It looks like there might be quite a bit of thunderstorm activity around the S Coasts of SW England on Saturday and Sunday. It will defintely keep me smiling. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Something is lurking. Believe me it is. The charts are begging to show us a plume but just can't. Still time this year for some good'ns! 

Saturday onwards look bang on for me! :D

Guest William Grimsley

Friday, Monday and Tuesday are being shown as quite wet on the UK precipitation chart! Posted Image

UK precipitation. Valid: Fri 06/09 9:00.

Posted Image

UK precipitation. Valid: Mon 09/09 9:00.

Posted Image

UK precipitation. Valid: Tue 10/09 12:00.

Posted Image

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted

The Isle of Man is forecast nothing like SW England! Posted Image

Really..? Looks alright! Best time of year around here! Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guest William Grimsley

It's looking promising for Tuesday and Wednesday for SW England next week, too! :D

UK CAPE+Lifted Index. Valid: Tue 10/09 12:00.

Posted Image

UK CAPE+Lifted Index. Valid: Wed 11/09 12:00.

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

a note of caution....the GFS precip charts are notoriously unreliable and prone to a high error precentage value so absolutely no point whatsoever looking at them post T48

...and the same goes for GFS CAPE/LI charts...take with a very large pinch of salt until moves into the hi-res phase (t48 - t0) to save disappointment

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 3

Guest William Grimsley

a note of caution....the GFS precip charts are notoriously unreliable and prone to a high error precentage value so absolutely no point whatsoever looking at them post T48

yeah I've noticed that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

you're much better off looking at the hi-res models for more accurate and reliable figures for those parameters such as NMM, NAE & HIRLAM

• Like 1

Guest William Grimsley

you're much better off looking at the hi-res models for more accurate and reliable figures for those parameters such as NMM, NAE & HIRLAM

ok but only the NMM charts are available on Netweather and that's Netweather Extra!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Unfortunately the NMM has been reliable for me either when I've used in the past. Gets it wrong probably more times than it gets it right.

Posted

Unfortunately the NMM has been reliable for me either when I've used in the past. Gets it wrong probably more times than it gets it right.

Do you mean it is or it isn't reliable? In the shorter term it's been quite good for me on convective issues. :good: 

Posted

GFS shifting any potential for Friday and beyond around it a bit, as models like to do!

Posted Image

Eyes and ears out to sea?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

At this rate it just looks like rain and the Tstorm potential is either waning or moving offshore if GFS has a grip of things.

Guest William Grimsley

GFS shifting any potential for Friday and beyond around it a bit, as models like to do!

Posted Image

Eyes and ears out to sea?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

At this rate it just looks like rain and the Tstorm potential is either waning or moving offshore if GFS has a grip of things.

Yeah it looks like most of the thunderstorm is over the Irish Sea with just rain over S England. :D

Guest William Grimsley

It's looking very active for SW England, this weekend! I can't wait to see this happen! Posted Image

UK CAPE+Lifted Index. Valid: Sat 07/09 15:00.

Posted Image

UK CAPE+Lifted Index. Valid: Sun 08/09 15:00.

Posted Image

This looks very promising, too! Except I'm just coming out of school then so that probably wouldn't go down well! :rofl:

UK CAPE+Lifted Index. Valid: Tue 10/09 15:00.

Posted Image

Guest William Grimsley

Can see a line of altocumulus castellanus to the west over the Irish Sea.

Lovely stuff. There is some crossing NW Devon, now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Possibly a brave call this but there may be a small chance late tomorrow and into the night of some thunderstorms across East Anglia and up the east coast of Lincolnshire. The timing would indicate something possibly breaking out across EA late afternoon/early evening as and be around the Humber early hours of Friday morning. Anything that did develop would develop in an environment of 40knts DLS, moderate levels of helicity and lightning wizard indicates a low level supercell parameter along the Lincolnshire coast. ELT's around the coastline look quite promising in the early hours as does a build up of MUCAPE.

Caveats could be limited moisture, although this is shown to arrive overnight on the GFS.

Latest NMM does not support this idea. Although it shows some very decent CAPE across the SE and EA, it looks like ridging aloft prevents anything from forming and then by the time the moisture arrives from the west, the best CAPE is out to sea. NAE is not supporting of it either.

A bit further out but Fri night and into Saturday look interesting for western areas, especially bordering the coast. 

EDIT: Met Office and BBC show this scenario for late tomorrow too.
Edited by Supacell
  • Like 2

Guest William Grimsley

There is a lovely line of altocumulus castellanus clouds to the N of here, now. Posted Image

Posted

Can see a line of altocumulus castellanus to the west over the Irish Sea.

Yes! Right over me but its gone so, so dark, heavy and extremely thundery now! Wouldn't surprise me tonight to be fair! One of them stray storms that no one forecasts!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Possibly a brave call this but there may be a small chance late tomorrow and into the night of some thunderstorms across East Anglia and up the east coast of Lincolnshire. The timing would indicate something possibly breaking out across EA late afternoon/early evening as and be around the Humber early hours of Friday morning. Anything that did develop would develop in an environment of 40knts DLS, moderate levels of helicity and lightning wizard indicates a low level supercell parameter along the Lincolnshire coast. ELT's around the coastline look quite promising in the early hours as does a build up of MUCAPE.Caveats could be limited moisture, although this is shown to arrive overnight on the GFS.Latest NMM does not support this idea. Although it shows some very decent CAPE across the SE and EA, it looks like ridging aloft prevents anything from forming and then by the time the moisture arrives from the west, the best CAPE is out to sea. NAE is not supporting of it either.A bit further out but Fri night and into Saturday look interesting for western areas, especially bordering the coast. EDIT: Met Office and BBC show this scenario for late tomorrow too.

That would be a nice way to end a half decent summer here weve only had one decent storm here this summer which was awesome and a few rumbles here and there not expecting anything but would be nice surprise anyways :)
  • Like 1

Guest William Grimsley

Yes! Right over me but its gone so, so dark, heavy and extremely thundery now! Wouldn't surprise me tonight to be fair! One of them stray storms that no one forecasts!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice pics, Convective! :D