Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Earliest and latest hottest day of year?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

So barring any exceptional Spanish plumes over the next few weeks, it looks like August 1 2013 may prove to be the hottest day this year at around 34C.

It got me wondering, has a warmest day of the year ever occurred outside of the summer months, such as May or September?

Having read of the 1906 heatwave on this forum recently, I know 35.6C was recorded on Sept 2nd. Not sure if this was the warmest day of 1906 and if so whether any warmest days occurred later than this?

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

It has - I think May contained the hottest day quite recently.

Edited by Radiating Dendrite

Posted

I'm pretty sure that the coldest day of any given year has fallen in both March and November, so it stands to reason that May and/or September have recorded the warmest at some point. I'd be interested to know how early/late myself.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

So barring any exceptional Spanish plumes over the next few weeks, it looks like August 1 2013 may prove to be the hottest day this year at around 34C.It got me wondering, has a warmest day of the year ever occurred outside of the summer months, such as May or September?Having read of the 1906 heatwave on this forum recently, I know 35.6C was recorded on Sept 2nd. Not sure if this was the warmest day of 1906 and if so whether any warmest days occurred later than this?

earliest date 22nd may 1922...32.8 deg

latest 19th September 1926...32.2 deg

unless you live in Whitby when in 1965 the hottest day of the year was 29th of MARCH...yes march!!!!holds the march record of 25 deg

Posted

There was a heatwave around the 19th September 1926, temperatures go into the 30Cs, a month later there was early season snowfalls.

Posted Image

Posted Image

There was an early season heatwave around the 22nd May 1922, where maxima got into 30Cs but the summer was very poor.

Posted Image

Greenwich's warmest day of the year in 1862 was 6th May.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

also for the coldest

earliest 14th November 1919...-23.3deg breamar

latest  20th march 1930...-16.1 Newport

the Newport record was almost taken this year and would have been later....and ive forgot what that date was..is on this forum somewhere

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The 'hottest' early day I recall was in February 1998 (20C); the latest was 1st October 2011 at 30C...

Then again, I'm missing the point entirely!Posted Image

Edited by A Boy Named Sue

Posted

2011 was the most major for here with 1st October being hottest day at 28c! even more notable that the summer itself had a max of 26.3c here!.

Both last year and 2010 also had the warmest days of the year in May here to at 27c.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The Junes of 2005 and 2011 spring to mind as recording very high maxima.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

1 October 2011 may have been the hottest day for some locations. Definitely not here mind you, but I think it was the second hottest day.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

In 1998 the hottest day here was in September. It was the day of my daughter's Christening.

Posted

At my location (Swindon) the hottest day of the year at the local weather station at Lyneham during 2011 was 1st October. 26.5c was recorded, narrowly beating the 26.3c recorded in June. I wouldn't have thought it possible, and I'll be amazed if it happens again in my lifetime.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

In answer to Blue Skies question, the answer is yes. The hottest day of the year occurred (in Coventry) during Autumn in October 1985 reaching 27.1.

yes oct 1st 1985was 25c here....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Although October 2011 achieved 30C it was not the hottest day of the year IMBY, beaten by late June, late July, and early August which all produced 30C+ days. A shame that as now I can't claim that the hottest day of the year was once in October, like a few others on here!

Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

Thanks for your replies. Amazing about those very warm Oct days in 1985 and 2011.

I think we will see more remarkable weather events in the coming months, purely based on the successive weather patterns that we have been seeing over the last 6-7 years (cold winters, warm and cold springs, hot/dry/wet summers etc). It sure is a fascinating and exciting time for weather enthusiasts such as ourselves!

Posted

October 1985 - surely this is a rarity being the latest hottest day of the year. Was it a warm October overall?

Edited by nn2013

Posted

I don't remember '85, but October 1st 2011 was remarkable. I was sitting on the beach at 10am soaking up the sun in temperatures of around 20C! The best thing about it was it fell on a Saturday so I wasn't stuck in work either.