Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Favourite calendar month of weather in your living memory?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

June July or August 1995, was the best summer I can remember and all the months were good.

December 2010 was the worst month in my lifetime, absolutely vile.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

-7.1 Max? Posted Image

Yeah, and we had 4.4 hours of sun on that day. Quite an experience I have to say and one I won't forget for a while. Just amazing.

Edited by cheese

Posted

In Cumbria December 2010 pasted the likes of Jan/Feb 1963, Feb 1947, Jan 1940 and in some parts was 1c colder than the coldest month ever recorded in recent times (Jan 1940)

As others have said December 2010 really sparked my interest in the weather along with Jan 2010 and the failed BBQ summer of 2009.

seeing -9c on the car at midday in the sun was rather special

quite a few good summer months in recent times but none are extreme enough over the others here to stand out alone

Edited by Lake District Blizzard

Posted

June July or August 1995, was the best summer I can remember and all the months were good.

December 2010 was the worst month in my lifetime, absolutely vile.

Why, didn't ya get any cold 'n' snow around your way? I'm sure the events of Dec 2010 were nationwide.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

When the weather plays ball and we have a lovely warm settled spell with wall to wall sunshine I love June most of all when we have the long light evenings and there is that dark blue afterglow until well into the night. The best I can recall was in 1976 - unfortunately Junes like that are few and far between.

The worst months for me are November and December - normally in this country they are damp and murky, though I agree with others that December 2010 was a welcome exception.

By the time January and February come along, usually the air is starting to dry out, even though it can be as cold or even colder but it also leads to lengthening days - we have more chance of an interesting snowfall and spring is not too far away.

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny
Posted (edited) · Hidden by CongletonHeat, August 15, 2013 - MESSED UP
Hidden by CongletonHeat, August 15, 2013 - MESSED UP

L

Edited by CongletonHeat
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

mines would dec 2010 winter august 95 july 2006 and july-august 90. summer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Why, didn't ya get any cold 'n' snow around your way? I'm sure the events of Dec 2010 were nationwide.

Not everyone likes the cold.... nor snow (I know - an alien concept on here but in fact many people find snow very unpleasant as its very disruptive).

I like the snow but Dec 2010 was poor for snow here (there have been much snowier months since then) but I did enjoy seeing how low the temperature gauge would go - plus it was bright in the daytimes which makes winter feel much less depressing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

December 26th 1962.  Snow fell to 30cm in some parts.

Blizzards 28th/30th.

Snowdrifts 6m deep

Snow lasted to early March 1963.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I had to give this some thought but February 1986 just edges it over February 1979. Although there was the exceptional blizzard in mid February 1979, 1986 was unrivalled for persistent cold with a mean maximum of -1.6c and 26 'ice days' here; there was also around 30cm of snow lying throughout the month and a spectacular glaze event in the first few days. Had I been around in 1947 I think February 1986 would probably be in second place.

Favourite summer month has to be August 2004, very closely followed by June 2012.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with fog and a good layer of snow.

December 2010.

If it wasn't calendar, it would be November 24 2010 to December 25 2010 (add a day!), that was just incredible. Ice days, sharp frosts and heavy snow/thundersnow/sun and snow shrs.

December 3rd, Sunday, woke up at -12.2c and 42cm of snow here by the coast.

Same for me, this will also be one of my most memorable weather period.  

Posted

The clue is in the username......

Usenames are frequently massive red herrings... and besides it was a sly attempt to draw attention to the fallacy that warmth and sun are generally thought to be the most popular weather types, yet the majority of opinions on this thread suggest otherwise. It is akin to me saying that summer '76 was horrendous and someone questioning if we had a lot of rain around here.  On that note, June 2007 was the best summer month of all time around here. Sigh - can still see those lovely scenes of flooded streets and cars floating in them thru' the soft-focus filter of my mind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

For cold and snow, December 1981; for sun, warmth and storms, July 1983...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Usenames are frequently massive red herrings... and besides it was a sly attempt to draw attention to the fallacy that warmth and sun are generally thought to be the most popular weather types, yet the majority of opinions on this thread suggest otherwise. It is akin to me saying that summer '76 was horrendous and someone questioning if we had a lot of rain around here.  On that note, June 2007 was the best summer month of all time around here. Sigh - can still see those lovely scenes of flooded streets and cars floating in them thru' the soft-focus filter of my mind.

Guessing it wasn't your street flooded or your car floating down it?

I wouldn't say warmth/sun being most popular is 'fallacy' in the general population - it's only on a forum of weather enthusiasts that this isn't so much the case. Look at the most popular winter months here - cold/snowy ones with '63 being idolised. Then ask my dad about '63 and he'll describe it a living nightmare when his industry (concrete) was shut down for weeks on end. Ask most people off here what they want in winter? Bit of snow round christmas then roll on spring I'd expect!

• Like 1

Posted

I certainly would not want to live through a repeat of the winter of 1962-63, the ground snow covered for around 44 days at RCAF Langar, south east of Nottingham in the Vale of Belvoir and 63 days at my parents on the edge of the Peak District; somewhere on here there is my account of that winter and a list of Min/Max/Mean temperatures-shudder!

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Vaugely recall what I think was 1979 winter and the snow in the morning had drifted up the front and back of the house, my father had to get out of an upstairs window and used I think our garden swing seat as a shovel to dig out a path to the door.

Edited by Jax

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Dec 09 was actually better than Dec 10 IMBY. The first snow didn't arrive until the 18th (I think), but it was heavy powder followed by crystal blue skies and sub-zero temps without the nagging wind-chill.

But anyway, October 2008 is a personal favourite for the spectacular New England-esque autumn colours. (Disclaimer: I am notoriously bad at mixing up years, so correct me if I'm wrong, but it was around then)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I wouldn't say warmth/sun being most popular is 'fallacy' in the general population - it's only on a forum of weather enthusiasts that this isn't so much the case. Look at the most popular winter months here - cold/snowy ones with '63 being idolised. Then ask my dad about '63 and he'll describe it a living nightmare when his industry (concrete) was shut down for weeks on end. Ask most people off here what they want in winter? Bit of snow round christmas then roll on spring I'd expect!

My grandmother told me stories about the winter of '47 and she never described it as a living nightmare. She was only a kid at the time so she probably enjoyed it. She doesn't remember much from the winter of '63, only that it was a long, cold winter, but she has never worked in an industry that is easily disrupted by adverse weather.

Anyway, it probably depends on what's on offer - I think the general opinion is that snow is far better than rain. Give me 3 months of snow cover over 3 months of persistent heavy cold rain. A winter in Kinlochewe would be really depressing.

June 2007 was really interesting for the serious amounts of rain that fell, and we had way more storms in that month than any recent months.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Also think it was again 1979, we had all finally made it walking to school (do children today still do that?) only to be turned away at the gates, did not understand it at the time, it was a bonus day off as far as I was concerned, turns out years later when talking to my father about it the heating oil had frozen so they could not get the boilers in the school working (Gas was still yet to reach many parts of this area at the time).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Also think it was again 1979, we had all finally made it walking to school (do children today still do that?)

I do.

Posted

No, more's the pity - came very close,mind. I've got adequate insurance all round so a direct hit would've been no problem. Anyone who thinks I'm uttering the ramblings of a madman need only look at the folk ( NW has it's share ) who can and do spend serious money,time and effort to go and witness upfront and personal the far more severe and destructive weather of the US midwest....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I think most of us weather lovers really love the extremes either hot months as '76,'95 or 2006 or cold ones as '63,'79,2010 etc.We all want to experience the rare events in our lifetimes but I doubt any of us would want those extremes year in year out.I am old enough to have witnessed everything since the early 70s but wish I could have seen the likes of a '47 winter  or a summer like 1911,jan'40,june 57,summer '54......just surprised as the majority of members seem to be young enough that they don't remember the 90s...I guess they have a lot to look forward to !